MK
Posted By
Mike_K.
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought a new computer a few months ago for video editing and installed PS 6 onto it for using with Encore. I hadn’t used PS that much on the new computer until recently while designing DVD menu backgrounds, and now I’m getting a problem that’s happening more and more often. After I’ve opened a file and worked on it a bit, when I go to save it, I get the following message:

"Could not save (filename) because the file is already in use or was left open".

At that point, my only option is to save it under a new name, continue working and saving until I get the error message again, and save it under a new name again.

The file isn’t being shared across a network, I’m the only one logged into my computer, and Photoshop is the only open application. I’m running Windows XP Pro on a 3GB Pentium 4 Hyperthread with 2 GB of RAM. I’ve got my scratch disk set to my data drive (which I believe is just a partition of my system drive), which has 65 G of free space, and changing the amount of RAM available to PS from 50% to 20% didn’t make a difference as far as the saving problem goes.

I’ve got a Canopus DV Storm video card and a Matrox Parhelia graphics card. Both of these cards allow me to export an image from Photoshop to an external TV monitor in order to preview my DVD menus, so I thought that might be what was accessing the file and causing the error. However, even if I reboot the computer and make sure not to export the image, I still get the error message.

The size of the files I’m working with range from 3 to 10 MB, and they all came from a "master file" which was around 45 MB. The original file had all of the layer sets for the DVD main menu, scene selections, etc, and then I split the different menus into separate files by deleting the layer sets I didn’t need and saving it under a different name. So I suppose the original file might have been corrupt, but other than the problem with saving them, I’m able to open and work with them just fine.

I’ve never gotten this error message on my other computer, so I’m kind of at a loss as to how to resolve this problem.

Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
May 12, 2004
search for psicon.dll on your system and rename it to psicon.old. then restart the system. you’ll lose psd icons in windows explorer, but the cannot save file error will go away.
MK
Mike_K.
May 13, 2004
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. When you say I’ll lose psd icons, do you just mean the psd’s will appear as the generic unknown file type icons? If I right click on them and choose always open with photoshop, then the icons should come back after that, right?

Would this bring back the saving problem after I did so?
DM
dave_milbut
May 13, 2004
the psd’s will appear as the generic unknown file type icons?

yes

hen the icons should come back after that, right?

no.

you’ll lose the ability to see the image as the icon. you’ll just see a generic "photoshop image" icon. (the eye, i think). there’s a problem in the way explorer interacts with that dll. they’ve removed it in version 8.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections