Posted By
Don_Stouder
May 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I am having a strange problem when using PSE 3 in the Organizer mode and then starting the Edit mode from there. Here is the sequence of steps.
1. PSE 3 is started in the Organize mode
2. A photo is selected to edit.
3. The Standard Edit choice is selected and the PSE 3 starts the Edit mode
4. I adjust the photo in some way.
5. I click on File > Save As
6. The Save As window appears momentarily, then disappears PSE 3 jumps back to the Organize mode. Apparently the Edit mode has totally shut down, because there is no Edit button at the bottom of the screen on the status bar, just the Organize button.

This problem occurs on about 5 or so PCs in a classroom of 36 PCs all running Win XP with plenty of disk space and memory. They have all been set up identically, but this was done manually rather than through cloning.

Also, if PSE 3 is started in the Edit mode, File Save As works fine.

Has anyone experienced a problem similar to this?

TIA

Don S.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CW
Colin Walls
May 20, 2005
I’d suggest a total reset of prefs:
Go to C:\Documents and Settings\<your login>\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements [replacing <your login> appropriately] and rename the folder "3.0" to "3.old".
DS
Don_Stouder
May 22, 2005
Colin,
Thanks for the reply. I’ll try that next week when I get back to school. My thought was to re-install PSE 3, but I wanted to avoid that if possible. You approach may help me do that. Please look for another question from me I will be posting shortly.

Thanks again,

Don S.
DS
Don_Stouder
May 25, 2005
Hi All,

FWIW and slightly OT

I went back to school today and discovered on certain PCs, not the ones that had this problem, but about 4-5 different ones, a related problem. Here are the new/different symptoms. From within the Edit mode (Organizer has not been opened yet), click on File > Open and the Open dialog box opens for a couple of seconds and the PSE 3 shuts down and you are back to the desktop.

I was able to fix this problem, thanks to Colin’s (or whover suggested it) suggestion to delete the 3.0 folder under Application Data. I did have to add a wrinkle to it, however. I had to logoff the user’s account before opening PSE 3 again or the fix did not seem to work.

As I was getting my technique down, I actually reinstalled the program (after removing it) and it came back with the same problem as described above. I had to go in and delete the 3.0 folder after a fresh install even. Apparently, it was left behind or bebuilt from cache or something and was used by the new install.

I don’t understand what is going on, but I think I have accurately described the situation and fix.

Don S.
CW
Colin Walls
May 25, 2005
Don

Your observations are correct. If you uninstall/reinstall PSE, it has no effect on the prefs. These are only built by the running program.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections