Photoshop freezes on "Open" and "Save" with no error message(s)

MM
Posted By
mark_midkiff
Dec 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have read every possible forum and tried the recommendations in Adobe documents, but here is my ordeal. I was working with some .jpg files that were sent to me. I tried to open one and it would not open. I never got a message, just the spinning wheel. Since then, Photoshop will open nothing. If I start the application and create a document, when I save it, same thing… spinning wheel.
There are no error messages and no freezes. Just the spinning wheel. I have trashed the pref files multiple times. Restarted the comp. Created a new user. And I have consulted the application erros in the log, which shows nothing for Photoshop.
This happened once before and after trashing the prefs and restarting the comp, I was back in biz. This time, nothing works.
I am on a G4 dual, 1GB of ram. System 10.4.8. and Photoshop CS2 9.0.2. Has this happened to you?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Dec 4, 2006
Have you run Disk Utility or Diskwarrior?

how much memory is allocated to Photoshop?

how much free disk space is on the hard drive?
MM
mark_midkiff
Dec 5, 2006
I have run both Disk Utility and Disk Warrior with no errors. In Photoshop, I have the memory set to use 70% of available memory. (When using Photoshop or other memory intensive programs, I tend to only have one or two applications open.) On my main drive, I have roughly 120 GB available, as I only have applications on one drive and documents on a separate drive, with back up on a third, external drive.
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
hmm…

Is the scratch on a second drive?

spinning ball usually indicates the system is writing SWAP files.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2006
With only 1 GB of RAM, I would try setting your RAM allocation back to about 50%.

You should also have your Scratch space on an HD other than your boot drive.
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
What Ann says.

When set at 70% and only 1GB of RAM, you could be starving the OS.
JO
Juan_Obregon
Dec 7, 2006
Hi
I am haven the same problem, did you find a solution???
I have even re-installed the application and still it won’t work. Thanks for any help.

Juan
MM
mark_midkiff
Dec 7, 2006
This is going to sound crazy, and it makes no sense at all.

I was disgusted, so I decided to go back to my good ol’ Photoshop 7 that is still in my applications folder. I wanted to see if the files would open with that application. Well, they did open. So out of curiosity, I dediced to open the exact same file using Photoshop CS2. So… same file on the same harddrive and same operating system. So, it opened in Photoship CS2. After that, I opened more files and it has been working fine since.

I did nothing other than what I just described, however, I would suggest bringing the memory down under 50%. After you do that, restart your machine and give it a go.

I wish I could be of more help. Mine is working now and I can’t tell you why.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 7, 2006
Bringing Photoshop’s RAM allocation down to 50% allowed sufficient RAM to still be available for your Operating System.

That is why it now works.

Basically you should try to install much more RAM (another 2 GB would help) because 1 GB is barely sufficient to run CS2 on OSX.
MM
mark_midkiff
Dec 7, 2006
I agree with you, but the application was working before I changed the memory allocation. I was able to open the application, open a file, and save a file, all before changing the memory allocation. I thought I had pointed that out before in the previous posting. This is why I said it made no sense to me.. I didn’t change anything before I was able to function again. Also, the first time this happened, a few months ago, I was able to start working again after a few re-starts.

I fully agree that the memory allocation needed to be lower, but that does not explain what happened in this case.

The particular G4 that I have is an "early" G4 dual and the RAM cannot be much higher. I may be able to add a 512 (I have to look that up), but I do not that I cannot take the machine up to 2GB or so the Apple store told me.

Thanks for your input
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 7, 2006
You might want to try using Cocktail regularly to run the Cron scripts, clean out caches and do other maintenance tasks. Then shut down and reboot.
MM
mark_midkiff
Dec 7, 2006
I am not familiar with cocktail. Is this a utility? Application? 3rd Party?

Thanks
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 7, 2006
Cocktail is a very inexpensive utility that provides free updates after the initial purchase.

You can download it from this link and you get about 10 free goes before you have to pay for it:

<http://www.macosxcocktail.com>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections