NB
Posted By
Nicole_Beauvais-Holt
Nov 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had this happen too. I found that it only happened when I had selected the edit link from InDesign. For some reason Photoshop recognizes the InDesign link and won’t save as because it thinks it is open. If I go back to InDesign and deselect the active object it will then save in Photoshop.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GV
Greg_Vaughn
Nov 19, 2008
"I had this happen too. I found that it only happened when I had selected the edit link from InDesign."

Ah-hah! This may be my problem, as I am indeed working on photos that are in an InDesign project. Next time it happens I’ll check to see if I have that photo selected in ID.

Thanks for your help.

– Greg
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 20, 2008
Greg, in case one day you need to go over the 4gigs limit of FAT32: < http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200702201508562 79>
GV
Greg_Vaughn
Nov 24, 2008
Thanks for that info. I’ve saved the link for future reference.
RW
richard_w_bohn
Feb 3, 2009
Hello . . . I’m getting the message "can’t save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I’m using Quark only for this project.
The files have never been opened in In-Design, so your reference above is not helpful to my situation. Whether I use edit original in Quark or open the file in ps and try to save it won’t let me. What I’m doing is, save-as under a new file name and re-import the new file.
This has never happened before in 10 years of pshop and is very annoying. Please advise. Rich
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 3, 2009
Hello . . . I’m getting the message "can’t save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I’m using Quark only for this project.

Richard,

Quit QuarkXPress and see if you can save.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 3, 2009
I’m getting the message "can’t save file because it is already in use or was left open". All the files were created in photoshop and I’m using Quark only for this project.

Richard,

Quit QuarkXPress and see if you can save. I’ll bet that XPress is laying claim to the file.

Neil
DP
Dean_Pringle
Feb 6, 2009
Hi Richard, did you ever learn more about this?

I am having same problem, I have been using Phsp. for 20 years and never once had this "cannot save file, left open or in use" until CS4.

It has nothing to do with links to Quark, InDesign, or etc.

You can quit out of all those other programs and still the same problem.

Not only that it does not occur for me at least in the case of every single PSD file I work on, only "some". (?)

To say it is annoying is putting it mildly.
CC
Chris_Cox
Feb 6, 2009
Dean – then the big question is: what changed on your system outside of Photoshop? What other application or OS service is holding those files open when they should not be?
RW
richard_w_bohn
Feb 6, 2009
Can’t save file – already in use/left open message

Thinking about it now, probably . . . Preview.
Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps, Then I have to open the file through the program, instead of directly form the icon. Maybe this is a clue somehow . . . I’ve tried Preview preferences to deactivate this awol feature with no luck.
Maybe I will de-install Preview don’t really need it and see what happens. rbohn
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 7, 2009
richard,

Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps,

Find the file type that Preview is opening. Then find a file of that type; highlight its icon, press Command-I (Get Info) and look for "Open with:". Select the Preview, Photoshop, iPhoto, CorelDraw, or whichever compatible application you’d like that file or file type to open with. Note it says: "Use this application to open all documents like this." And you can select "Change All…" if you want to change all existing files you have with that extension.

For example, on my system I’ve made Preview the default application for all .jpg files. Photoshop opens the rest.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 7, 2009
richard,

Because, sometimes when I open a photoshop file it opens in Preview instead of ps,

Find the file type that Preview is opening. Then find a file of that type; highlight its icon, press Command-I (Get Info) and look for "Open with:". Then from the dropdown, select Preview, Photoshop, iPhoto, CorelDraw, or whichever compatible application you’d like that file or file type to open with. Note it says: "Use this application to open all documents like this." And you can select "Change All…" if you want to change all existing files you have with that extension.

For example, on my system I’ve made Preview the default application for all .jpg files. Photoshop opens the rest.

Neil
RT
Robert_Trent
Mar 18, 2009
Greg

I am having exactly the same problem (and have had since upgrading to CS4). I am trying to convert fles from RGB to CMYK by selecting ‘Edit original’ in the links palette in InDesign CS4 (6.0.1) to open each one in turn in Photoshop (11.0.1) and most of them cannot be saved unless I change the file name, which makes a bit of a nonsense of the ’round-trip editing’ feature as I then have to re-link to the new file name in INDD, then go to the finder, locate and ‘move to trash’ the file I was trying to convert in the first place. It does make it pretty long-winded.

Has anyone at Adobe come up with a solution yet?

I do not have Preview open or any other application looking at these files.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections