C
Posted By
CCRay
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been working with large >40M scanned jpg files, using the clone tool to remove scratches, etc. and then saving as .jpg at the 12 setting, the largest file setting to maintain resolution. These are 36 x 27 inch posters at 300 dpi which I’m preparing for printing.
Everything is going fine, until I try to re-open one of these saved files, whereupon Elements reports "cannot open <file> because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found."
Using another app to try to open the files gets "Corrupt JPEG data: 1320 extraneous bytes before marker 0xdo".
Any ideas for saving all the work I’ve already put it? I can always try doing the edits again and saving as Tiffs, but all that work……
Regards,
Chris Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RF
Robert_F_Carruth
May 29, 2004
Chris,

If you are on windows I understand that Irfanview can sometimes open and repair problem files:

<http://www.irfanview.com/index.htm>

Bob
NS
Nancy_S
May 29, 2004
Chris,

I don’t have an answer for you but I was just curious and created a document 27 x 36 " at 300 ppi. The pixel dimensions are 8100 x 10800. I added very little to my blank document but the size was about 250 MB in .psd and about 145 MB in jpg. My computer was working rather slowly using many of the tools and then saving to jpg :), I have about 100 G of free harddrive space, 1 G of DDR RAM and a FSB at 600 (or is it 800??) I wonder if your files are corrupted because you are really straining your system resources, just a thought, I know I was! I’ll be interested to hear from someone who can answer your question.
C
CCRay
Jun 8, 2004
Nancy S, I have now done the same thing saving to Tiff and have not had the same problems, while the files are much larger, they open fine….
Robt Caruth, Thank for the tip on irfanview, which allowed me to "open" hex views of the files, but I was not able to restore any of them, see above reply to Nancy S.
L
lly
Jun 9, 2004
CCRay, I had same problem with some images. It is software problem, not hardware. Simple workaround for me is to switch "Image previews" to "Never save" in Preferences->File Handling dialog.

P.S. Photoshop 7.0.1, sample image size 7.2M in jpeg, uncompressed – 97M
JW
Janice_Walters
Jul 15, 2004
My slide negatives are scanning very dark and dull although they are really bright and colorful. Also, when I scan in four slides, how do I get them to be individual slides and larger? Thanks
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jul 16, 2004
You’ll need to tweak your settings in whatever scanner software you are using, for whatever scanner you are using.

If you are getting 4 slide images in one picture on TWAIN import, you’ll need to crop the one out, save it as file. Go back a step or two in History, crop the other one, save as file. Etc.

Or use rectangular marquee, copy, new file, paste.

As far as "larger", you’ll have to explain what you mean. If you can’t get your images at the inch/ppi size you want, you’ll need to scan at higher resolution, if that’s an option.

Mac

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections