UL
Posted By
Udo_Ludtke
Nov 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There are now quite a few photo players that read JPG images from flash memory cards, and send the images to an HDTV. There is one problem with most (all?) of these players. They can only read JPG files written as a camera JPG. RAW files opened in Photoshop, converted to sRGB, and 8-bit mode, and saved in JPG format can not be read. These Photoshop saved JPG files, when written to a flash card, and inserted into a camera, can also not displayed on the camera LCD.

I have traced the problem to the EXIF data inserted by Photoshop into JPG files, which were originally RAW files.

I have used the EXIFutil software to copy the EXIF data from a camera JPG file into a Photoshop RAW converted, and saved as JPG file. The JPG file can now be read by the Photo Player, and is displayed on the camera LCD.

As a note of interest: When the EXIF data is copied from a camera JPG file to a Photoshop RAW conversion saved as JPG, all the EXIF date displayed for the new file is unchanged from what it was, because EXIF rules required that these fields are not over-written. The visible EXIF data remains the same, but the way the data is written in the JPG file is much different.

I consider this a bug in Photoshop, and would like to see it fixed, or learn a work around.

If there is some good reason for the current way the save as JPG save EXIF data as it does, I would like to see an alternate JPG save, such as "save as camera compatible JPG."

It also would be nice if Photoshop had an option to add a thumb to saved JPG files. Currently JPG files converted from RAW files and saved as JPG have no thumbs.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Nov 29, 2006
Do not use plain "Save" or "Save As" when saving your JPEGs. Use "Save for Web".

Currently JPG files converted from RAW files and saved as JPG have no thumbs.

Oh yes, they do. Only if you use Save for Web would you NOT have a thumbnail.

Check your Photoshop preferences. You may have set your Photoshop to save without thumbnails, but that would have been your own doing. πŸ™‚

If you have suggestions about features to be incorporated in future versions of Photoshop, you should post in the Feature Request section, which is found on the same page where you added this thread.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 29, 2006
That probably won’t help.
Most digital cameras will only display a very, very limited subset of JPEG images – usually equal to what they write.

We’ve seen lots of problems like this – if the JPEG image deviates in any way from what the camera expects, the camera gives up. This is especially true in consumer (point and shoot) cameras. And when we try to track it down, the cameras are all choking on something different.

Photoshop is writing a valid JPEG file.
But the camera is incapable of parsing that file.

So, I don’t think this is a bug in Photoshop.
UL
Udo_Ludtke
Dec 1, 2006
RamΓ³n and Chris, thanks for your comments.

I tried saving using Save for Web with Photoshop, but the resulting saved image is still not camera or Photo Player compatible.

It is correct to say that cameras, and the Photo Player, are incapable of parsing the data inserted by Photoshop, but as far as I can tell, the problem is not the EXIF or IPTC data inserted by Photoshop, but with some data that is only readable by Photoshop. I do not know enough about the JPG standard, to comment if that information is within the standard.

In the meantime, I found several ways to make a RAW-to-JPG Photoshop saved image display in cameras and the Photo Reader.

One way is to use EXIFutils and copy the EXIF, IPTC, and RMETA data from a camera file into the RAW-to-JPG saved image. This will not over-write the protected camera data of the original RAW-to-JPG Photoshop saved image, but will over-write the Photoshop specific comments with nothing, i.e. remove them. Such an image will now display in cameras and the Photo Player.

(Note: Photoshop can not open the image without the removed Photoshop comments. However, opening the image in another application, such as Graphic Converter, and re-saving it without changes, will allow Photoshop to open the image.)

I have not solved one remaining problem with the Photo Player. It does not show thumbs in the multi-image mode. This true, whether the image contains a thumb or not. At the moment I do not even know if the Photo Player uses the thumb embedded in the image to show the thumbs in multi-image mode, or whether the Photo Player creates the thumbs it displays from the full size image. This problem is not critical for my intended use of the Photo Player, namely to play a slide show of images on an HDTV, but it is a challenge to make it work.

I agree that my statement that this is a bug in Photoshop was indeed to strong. I should have said that it is a the lack of an important feature, which prevents uses from displaying their images on an HDTV in a cost-effective way. I don’t know these embedded Photoshop comments this will also be a problem when using a blue-ray disk players to play back JPG images on an HDTV.
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 1, 2006
Save for Web insert no, or almost no, additional data. And the JPEG files it writes are clean, comply with the JFIF spec, and are readable by most JPEG viewers.

But most digital cameras are REALLY picky about the JPEG files that they will display.

And unless you corrupted the file, Photoshop can open a JPEG just fine without any Photoshop data (and again, that’s what SFW writes).
UL
Udo_Ludtke
Dec 4, 2006
Re Photoshop Save for Web:

I agree that there is little or additional data in a Photoshop Save for Web file, However, even Photoshop saved for Web files do not display in digital cameras or photo players. I have to open such a file in Graphic Converter (or other image editing programmes) and save them again to make them display in digital cameras or photo players. So there is something in the Photoshop saved files that makes them non-compatible with cameras. Non of the other photo editing programmes I have on my computer have this problem.

BTW, I have not been able to modify an edited RAW file to again display a preview in the Photo Player.
KW
kevin_W_Noble
Dec 5, 2006
Hello – I am new to PS – I have selectively colored a Black and white photo – but when I attempt to save as a Jpeg – the file on my desk-top never saves the color changes that I originally made…I am attempting to upload this photo to a printer – and they keep telling me that the color is not on the file that they receive. What am I doing wrong? I am saving as RGB – and then saving file as a Jpeg to the desktop – help?
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
Kevin start a new thread what you are asking has nothing to do with this thread.

When asking in your new thread please tell us exactly what type of printer?

and how you are adding the color?

Why you are using Jpegs?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections