PE
Posted By
Peter_E._Fearne
Oct 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I read this post with great interest as I too have experienced the exact same issue as stated above. After careful consideration we decided to save our PSB’s to our Desktops to eliminate the issue of any network errors. Guess what…. Some PSB files have corrupted.

Given this information I guess that we can assume that there’s a bug in PhotoShop CS2 or OS X that’s causing the corruption to the PSB files when saving down to the Desktop.

So, where do we go from here I wonder……?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Are you running NAV (Norton Anti Virus)? If so, get rid of it. It is a known destroyer of Photoshop files.
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 4, 2006
Some interesting additional feedback from Adobe. The file is not corrupt, but the ability to open the file in Photoshop is prevented because the parsing of the layer information is returning false information.

If the file is RGB, it can be opened in Imageready and resaved as a PSD, with the original layers intact.

This suggests that the file is not corrupt in the way we know corrupt to be (corrupt means file is dead – kaput – no more help to society – time to delete it).

See replies from Adobe below:

21-09-2006
Steve Nickel
Case Number 300420
Photoshop CS 2.0

Hi Fraser,

Good day.

According to our L3 Techinicians, saving directly to a server is likely to cause problems. The composite image is ok (which is what InDesign and most other applications will read), but the layer data is corrupt.

Regards,

Kat
Adobe Asia-Pacific Support

12-09-2006
Steve Nickel
Case Number 300420
Photoshop CS 2.0

Hi Fraser,

Good day.

Please be advised that the file can be opened in ImageReady. Please try to resave the file in ImageReady as a PSD file, then jump to Photoshop and it will open just fine.

Please reply to us with your exact workflow and whether the file was imported from a digital camera and resaved in Photoshop as a PSD. The more specific details you include, the better our chances will be of detecting your problem. Let us know exactly what you do, step-by-step, and where the process fails.

Regards,

Kat
Adobe Asia-Pacific Support

Now I’m a pessemist, so if the layer data is deemed to be corrupt, I should not be able to open the file in Imageready with layers intact…?

As for the feedback requested: Unfortunately, I have 24 staff spread over 4 building levels servicing 220 internal magazine clients, therefore tracking the how/why/when/where in terms of when a file dies is nearly impossible. Still, at least RGB files can be retrieved, albeit an inconvenience.

As for people who don’t believe this to be a bug, don’t bother replying to this post, unless you are doing it to see your name in lights, in which case your input will be useful, only to yourself.

Cheers
Fraser
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Fraser,

It’s entirely up to you. You can choose to fold your arms and wait for a fix that is most likely not coming while you continue to lose files and/or time, or you can sit down and troubleshoot your system. It’s that’s simple.

I’ve never used ImageReady for any purpose whatsoever, so I can’t comment on that application at all.
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 4, 2006
Arm folding is best left to people of little help…

I will repeat for the hard at hearing, who offer no help…

As for people who don’t believe this to be a bug, don’t bother replying to this post, unless you are doing it to see your name in lights, in which case your input will be useful, only to yourself.

Cheers
Fraser
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Fraser,

I was merely trying to help. Even if it’s a bug, unless you help Adobe reproduce it, it ain’t going to get fixed. Drop the attitude.
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 4, 2006
See, this is where it get’s confusing. Posts that say "don’t save over a network" and save locally are obviously from people who live in a "perfect" world, where the local machine is not going to crash and burn, hence losing my local files. It also means I have all the time in the world to double handle all of my files.

I suppose of course the tested and certified gigabit network we use is still not good enough.

Let’s get real, just for fun. In medium to larger organisations, files need to live on servers. We have constant deadlines to meet, etc etc etc. So here is the problem. Adobe sells the product willingly to a large organisation, knowing full well that there will be files on servers. Lots of them. Hidden in the Adobe tech notes is the disclaimer that files are not supported saving over networks. Amazing. Considering the number of parties needing to use a network, run by "competent qulaified" network engineers, how can a company sell a product that alienates the needs of the majority of high end users?
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Fraser,

We are here to try to help each other to find solutions and workarounds, not to defend Adobe. Hope that’s clear. There’s a Contact button at the top of this page to contact Adobe directly if you wish.

What we do in these user to user forums is help each other out.

In one of your previous posts I understood you to say that you had experienced file corruption when saving to your desktop. That is what I was suggesting you try to troubleshoot.

On the other subject, the fact remains that there are literally hundreds or thousands of users working successfully across a network. The reason Adobe offers no support for networks is that they are not in the business of administering networks, and there are too any variables for them, or for any of us here in the user to user forums, to attempt to troubleshoot a network remotely. Adobe is NOT telling you that it cannot be done, only that it requires especial attention that only your network administrator can give it.

If you are still interested in troubleshooting your desktop failure, let us know.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 4, 2006
how can a company sell a product that alienates the needs of the majority of high end users? >

As we are all just fellow USERS (like you!) — none of us are qualified to answer that question.

However, as many "high end users" do seem to be able to set-up an efficient and reliable workflow, perhaps their "competent qulaified(?!)" network engineers are more competent and qualified than yours?

In other words, the way that your network may be configured is beyond the control of Adobe.
R
Ram
Oct 4, 2006
Posts that say "don’t save over a network"…are obviously from people who live in a "perfect" world,

Quite the opposite, Fraser. They’re from people who know what it is to be in the hands of an IT department. :/
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Oct 4, 2006
I work over many networks and less then 1% of files blow up due to server issues – but who the hell am I…
P
progress
Oct 4, 2006
but then thats like saying it was only an O-ring that went on Challenger Mike.

In old days, it was Adobe Postscript or it wasnt..you knew which side your bread was buttered.

The decay is the same % but the product is getting bigger every version. Welcome to the corporate view there wont be another revolution before they’ve invented their own one.

Its an ethos crippled resourse problem…bolox to the 10% left still using it, there 90% of an ever expanding market we can flog it to that will only ever use 10% of the feature base…kerching.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 4, 2006
In a perfect world, saving over the network works just fine.

But we don’t live in a perfect world, and lots of networks/servers have problems that are difficult to diagnose.

There is little or nothing Adobe can do about your network problems. Your available options are:

1) fix the network/server so the problems go away
2) work on local copies and use the finder/explorer to copy the files to and from the server
3) continue working over the network and live with the corrupted files
P
progress
Oct 5, 2006
But Chris, Adobe COULD specify a server/client setup that DOES work and then clients could be advised to follow that route. If it doesnt work now on any server/client setup then why over the last 9 versions has a way not been developed to use it as such?
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
How can a file error in Photoshop, but be perfectly fine for Imageready, be blamed on a network or a workstation? The file works for one Adobe product, and not another. The operative word here is WORKS.

If it was network damage, as in end of file error, nothing would open it, so how about we stop calling it corrupt.

There are definite differences in data between damaged and undamaged files, which specifically refers to the layer composition. Funny thing here is that network damage would be perhaps random at best in the way it "corrupts" a file. When the diagnosis and the "cure" are able to be reproduced due to a pointer to "damaged layers", where else do you need to look. I have the smoking gun, a victim, and a remedy, providing I’m in RGB.

I guess what I am saying is I would rather concetrate on facts that I can hang my hat on rahter than helpful conjecture about "what if’s or maybes".

Cheers
Fraser
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2006
How can a file error in Photoshop, but be perfectly fine for Imageready, be blamed on a network or a workstation?

well then your copy or installation is effed up. since I’ve never seen this problem along with most of the other folk around here. either that or you have NAV or some other intrusive Antivirus software on your system. Could even be bad RAM.

Since none of us are sitting in front of your computer you are going to have to troubleshoot this and report back what you’ve done if you want help. Or are you one of those guys who whines a lot but does nothing to help himself.
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
I’m not asking any one of you for help. I am publicly reporting the bug and the circumstances, with feedback from Adobe, so that people who are awake and listening and have experienced the same problem can get as much feedback as possible, instead of listening to DH’s who have never had the problem and seem to need to blame all and sundry. It’s NAV, it’s your SUV, it’s the network, it’s the OS, it’s dodgy RAM, it’s the man on the moon.

Adobe concedes file changes and differences, but can’t explain the acceptance of one to the other. For this reason, people who are having the same problem can share their experiences, without having to listen to adhoc maybes.
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2006
OK mister victim. we had A symantic rep come in here and admit NAV causes this problem that’s why when people like you come here we must ask. If you are unwilling to test your RAM another piece of hardware that has given people with this same issue, then you are a whiner that doesn’t really want to solve the problem. Just whine about it.

there is no problem with the software if there was everyone would see it and we all would be complaining. If you don’t want help leave we don’t need no whiners here.
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
Buko, you are a legend in your own lunchtime. Way back up the post, I already stated that it was tested under Nav, without nav, local, not local etc etc etc.

As for labelling me a victim and a whiner; perhaps I resent it when people keep trying to diagnose a problem, way after the usual questions have been asked, and then people keep bleating like sheep about the bleeding obvious.

Like I said, I’m looking for feedback from other affected parties, not feedback from people who don’t get it.

I’ve already used the IDHIGHPROFILE route to flag the issue with Adobe, which is a conduit enjoyed by those who give meaningful feedback to Adobe about issues, and are substantial customers, and are additionally beta testers of some kind or another who know what they are talking about, so stop labelling me as a way of discounting what I am saying.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 5, 2006
Progress – no, we really can’t.

All we can specify is: if the network and server work, then saving over the network will work. It does work for many users on many networks (and so far works perfectly here inside Adobe). But there are too many variables in networking and servers.

Fraser – I’m sorry that you don’t understand the complexities involved, or the faulty logic of your argument, but I’m telling you the honest truth here.

The file is corrupt (otherwise Photoshop would read it). If another application can read it, then that application is ignoring the corrupt part of the file (ImageReady ignores many parts of PSD files that Photoshop reads).
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
Hi Chris

If we are able to open the file straight back up in PS, then as far as we are concerned, we are lucky, and happy to have the file back. I’m curious (Buko, this is rhetorical so please don’t answer me) what it would take to allow Photoshop to "behave" like Imageready when it runs into this situation.

I’ve tested several scenarios where I have color correction layers, masks, spot channels etc etc etc and they all remain intact when I do a test save out from Imageready. They "seem" to be left intact. I’m guessing just because IR doesn’t know what to do with the layers doesn’t mean it removes them. As I said, lucky for us.

Cheers
Fraser
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 5, 2006
You would have to remove a lot of features from Photoshop and have it not do error checking for corrupt files (no, that’s not going to happen – the file really is corrupt).
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
Thanks Chris
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2006
Uhm! you are the one who labeled your self a victim.

your quote

I have the smoking gun, a victim,…
FE
Fraser_Edward_Crozier
Oct 5, 2006
Buko, the victim is the file, not a person…literals in this sense are not required.

By the way, did the NAV man visit you during the CS reign of Photoshop, or was it CS2, because the first report was from a CS user, not CS2.

Just curious.

Fraser
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2006
The Symantec guy was here for an extended period of time, trying to troubleshoot their bug. Yes, that was in the first few months of CS. He had no answer for us.

We gave him a run for his money, for sure.

Not only does NAV actually wreck Photoshop files, but it prevents some eps and PostScript files from parsing while it is active, even if it does not corrupt them. Disabling it fixes the parsing bug.

But the wrecked files are toast forever.
P
progress
Oct 5, 2006
Chris, I understand the point..please excuse the flippancy. Could Adobe specify what they have that works? Or even better could there a software tunnel written for the files so that they can only be saved and checked by PS to a network rather than rely on the OS?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 5, 2006
Progress – not easily. Our network is pretty complex, and given all the variables, hard to describe.

We are still thinking of ways that we could do something more reliable for network servers (and we have to use the OS one way or another).
RR
Reed_Reed
Oct 5, 2006
Chris,

(coming back into this discussion from another thread about this topic that lead no-where)

"Our network is pretty complex"

So, at Adobe, you can save from Photoshop, (not save to local drive and copy via the OS) over your complex network, and this "corruption" problem never happens? Ever?
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 6, 2006
So far we haven’t seen it (except with an old Netware server known to have problems, which was decommissioned shortly thereafter).
P
progress
Oct 6, 2006
I also dont see it just FTP’ing unpacked PSDs all over the globe…so its true that some network software does seem to hammer the headers.

Try FTP?

Given that it is impossible like Chris says to troubleshoot an unknown network my logic sends me to Adobe determining the spec…
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 6, 2006
Not all servers support FTP…
P
progress
Oct 7, 2006
I dont know if wrapping the file up as a zip would help it…we generally adopt the policy of working locally and then transfering files, although we’ve yet to hit any problems using a mixed OSX/Winxp/win2003 enviroment.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 7, 2006
I don’t think wrapping it would help – the corruption appears to be nearly random.

My first guess for solving it would be to write the file to the local disk, then copy it to the server, read it back to verify it, and recopy if it fails to match. But that would REALLY slow down network file saves, and still require space on the local drive to hold the entire file. And darn it, the OS is supposed to be doing it right in the first place.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections