Error: Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photo

DK
Posted By
David_Karoll
Oct 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I created and saved a large file in Photoshop CS2, running Windows XP. Now when I try to re-open it I get the error message "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop". I see that the error message has shown up on Macs that are running Nortons, but I’m on a PC without Nortons. The files resolution is 20963×12291 @ 1000dpi and is 1385.25MB. Bridge shows me the preview image and I can open the file info, but not the file.
Can this file be saved?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 21, 2006
Usually it means that the file has been corrupted.
And without some other program doing the corruption, it could mean that your disk is going bad, or you tried to save to a file server with problems or over a network with problems.

Was that the size and resolution of your file?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 21, 2006
The files resolution is 20963×12291 @ 1000dpi and is 1385.25MB
BG
barry_gray
Oct 21, 2006
"up on Macs that are running Nortons"
Norton on a Mac running OSX is serious trouble and is known to regularly corrupt files. There is no reason for any virus software on a Mac-get rid of it.
N
NewBee
Oct 21, 2006
wrote in message
"up on Macs that are running Nortons"
Norton on a Mac running OSX is serious trouble and is known to regularly corrupt files. There is no reason for any virus software on a Mac-get rid of it.

"I see that the error message has shown up on Macs that are running Nortons, but I’m on a PC without Nortons."
DK
David_Karoll
Oct 21, 2006
The hard drive is only a few months old so it’s unlikely (though not impossible) that it’s going bad, and the file wasn’t saved over a network. Again, I’m not working on a Mac and am not running Nortons. I am running VCOM’s System Suite and Ad-Aware SE but no other files seem to be effected.
Is there any way to recover the file?
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 21, 2006
David,

Chris Cox is an Adobe Engineer. You can usually rely on his answer. My concern was that the imgae might have been too big. I think though that it’s within the limits of PS.

Do you have Enable Large Document Format enabled in your preferences?

Did you change the extension – is it a PSD? Can a friend open it on their system?

Just shooting in the dark here.
DK
David_Karoll
Oct 21, 2006
Enable Large Document Format is enabled in my preferences. I originally saved it as a .psd which it has remained. I tried opening it on a Mac and it receives the same error.
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 21, 2006
There’s a free program called IrfanView, an image viewing program – I don’t use it, but it’s a favorite among users here. If I recall correctly, you can re-save as a TIF. Give that a try?
DK
David_Karoll
Oct 21, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion, but IrfanView gives the following error: Can’t allocate memory for result image(s)!
Out of memory.

The .psd file is on a drive (D) with 95.5GB of free space while CS2 is installed on a drive (C) with 47.4GB of free space.
J
Jim
Oct 21, 2006
wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion, but IrfanView gives the following error: Can’t allocate memory for result image(s)!
Out of memory.

The .psd file is on a drive (D) with 95.5GB of free space while CS2 is installed on a drive (C) with 47.4GB of free space.
The message probably means that your pagefile is too small. Note that "memory" is not the same as "disk space". Jim
Y
YrbkMgr
Oct 21, 2006
I’m outta ideas. Unless someone else chimes in, you may well be toast, sadly.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Oct 22, 2006
David, I didn’t have any ideas to run out of, but Google came up with ImageMagick, a free program available here:

<http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php>

This may be just another wild goose to chase, but at this point, I suspect you’ll think it’s worth a try.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Oct 22, 2006
Take a look at this website for recovery suggestions.

I have used this with great success.

<http://www.ontrack.com/>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections