Could Not Complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop

PW
Posted By
philip_watson
May 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting this error when trying to open my files that I saved out with CS. What can I do to remedy this situation because it is stopping me from completing valuable work.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
May 3, 2004
Are you by any chance saving over a network?
PW
philip_watson
May 3, 2004
no network. This is on my own internal drive, does anybody know whats going on. im using 10.3.3
R
Ram
May 3, 2004
Philip,

Any non-Unix characters in the name of the file or in anything in the path (folders, drives)? Use only numbers and the letters of the English alphabet.

Otherwise it’s time to trouble shoot your Photoshop installation, OS installation and hardware.
R
Ram
May 3, 2004
Oh, and get rid of anything with the Norton name on your drive.
BB
Brian_Bollig
Jul 17, 2008
This is good, I started saving my working files as layered tiffs because PSD files corrupted on mounted servers, now I get a message informing me that my tiff file isn’t a tiff file. Fortunately this is just my job and I’m not losing valuable time to rebuild these files from scratch, or else I’d be pissed. Make backup working files not on your server just in case.
B
Buko
Jul 17, 2008
10.5.4 fixes the server thing which is an Apple screw up.
P
poomshanka
Jul 27, 2008
Is saving as a PSB file a possible work-around? Seems to have worked for me in the past…

….Poom
B
Buko
Jul 27, 2008
PSB saves over 2GB in size
P
poomshanka
Jul 30, 2008
Yes, but you *can* save files under 2 GB as PSBs. I found them to be slightly larger than their PSD counterparts in some cases, but if the file integrity is retained, that might be a worthy trade-off.

….Poom
DE
Dix_Eagle
Aug 11, 2008
Hi

I was having the same problem working in photoshop on images I downloaded from my camera. I realized that the files I was having trouble with were ones that I had added layers to before I saved them. Remarkably, to fix my problem, I added ".tiff" to the file names. Once I had done that my files opened with layers intact. I had not knowingly saved them as tiff’s.
All the file names had ended with ".jpg" for example "IMG 399.jpg" Without opening it I added " .tiff " to the name so it would read "IMG 399.jpg .tiff" Then it would open without a problem.

I’m not sure why this worked. Hope it works for someone else.

Dix
R
Ram
Aug 12, 2008
Dix,

The JPEG format does not support layers. Ever.

You need to get rid of the "jpg"in all those file names. ASAP.

I have no idea how you managed to save layered files with a jpg extension. You were driving Photoshop nuts!

Your problem was/is very different from what’s being discussed in this thread.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 12, 2008
Dix,

And be aware that .jpg files are intrinsically lossy — that is, they permanently lose image information with every Open –> Save –> Close –> Open [etc.] cycle. The higher the compression level; the more image information is replaced with artifacts.

If your camera only saves in .jpg format, be sure to resave them as .psd or .tif before working on them. Use Open –> Save as…

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Aug 12, 2008
You need to get rid of the "jpg"in all those file names. ASAP.

A filename like ‘IMG 399.jpg.tiff’ or even ‘IMG 399.jpg.gif.bmp.eps.pdf.tiff’ will open in any applicaiton as the operating system only looks at what comes after the last period. You are not required to remove the ‘.jpg’ but it is pointless to leave it in the filename.

You may wish to review the Photoshop manual to determine the best format to save your layered files. TIFF is usually good but you may also see reason to use PSD.
DE
Dix_Eagle
Aug 13, 2008
Jim and Neil,

Thanks for all the helpful information. The problem seems to be that when I add layers to what was a jpeg file from my camera and then save it as a tiff, ".tiff " is not automatically being added at the end of the new file name. The saved file will then not open until I add .tiff to the file name.

Anyway, I like the idea of re-saving any .jpeg from my camera as a tiff or a PSD before working on it. Also I’m glad to be reminded of the compounded compression issue with repeatedly saving jpegs.

Thanks again
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
on the Mac there is a hide file extension check box in the save dialog uncheck this. This a hold over to the old Classic Mac days when Mac did not use file extensions.
X
xZone9
Aug 13, 2008
The latest entries about file type extensions seem off the original topic of having problems with the PSD files opening.
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
Not if the PSD has the wrong file extension.
DE
Dix_Eagle
Aug 13, 2008
I’m looking at what I believe to be my save dialog box but see no place to check or uncheck "hide file extension"
O
OldBob
Aug 13, 2008
You do that in finder

Finder > Preferences > Advanced

There will be a check box for Show All File Extensions (or some wording like that, I’m not currently on one of the Macs).
B
Buko
Aug 13, 2008
I’m looking at what I believe to be my save dialog box but see no place to check or uncheck "hide file extension"

Its in the bottom left of the system save dialog
DE
Dix_Eagle
Aug 14, 2008
Went to finder > preferences> advanced and checked "show all file extensions"

Thanks
B
Buko
Aug 14, 2008
You still need to check or uncheck the box in the save dialog if you are not using the Adobe save.
HJ
Harvey Jewett
Aug 15, 2008
I just had this happen saving to a local drive. The file I’m working on has NEVER been on my network. IR says the end of file has unexpectedly been reached.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
Harvey,

end of file has unexpectedly been reached

You haven’t given us any system environment specifics, your workflow, or any info about the problem file itself.

That said, that message means there is a fatal, generally unrecoverable error with the file. Without knowing more, about all I can guess is a possible failing hard drive, bad RAM, poor connections, power interruption, stray electromagnetic radiation or working across a network.

Neil
HJ
Harvey Jewett
Aug 15, 2008
Hi Neil.

I didn’t post any info because it won’t help. I know this file cannot be opened. I’m just stating that it doesn’t ONLY happen when saving to a networked location.

Workflow –

1) Create file
2) Save and close to local drive
3) Reopen to edit when necessary

It is at step 3 that the "file not compatible with this version of PS" occurs.

OSX 10.5.4, PSCS3, 8GB of RAM, 2-500GB Harddrives over 400GB free for scratch on alternate drive from operating system. No problems with any othe application or function.
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 15, 2008
Harvey,

Is this just one file or file type? File size?

IR says the end of file has unexpectedly been reached.

Where does ImageReady fit into your workflow? Which version? It’s not part of CS3.

Neil
HJ
Harvey Jewett
Aug 15, 2008
I don’t usually us IR. It was just a suggestion above to try and open the file in IR. This error only seems to happen with PSDs.
B
Buko
Aug 15, 2008
IR will not open CMYK images
MG
Mignot_Girma
Dec 13, 2008
could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of photoshop so how can i fix it
Thank you
R
Ram
Dec 13, 2008
Mignot,

What file? Not only what type of file but where did it come from? What exact version of Photoshop? What exact version of the OS?

Was that file ever opened from or saved directly to a network server? Did you ever have NAV (Norton Anti Virus) installed and activated? These two factors are known to cause permanent damage to Photoshop files.

We need details. We are neither clairvoyants nor mind readers. You have to help us help you.

You could be dealing with damaged files or with files not supported by Photoshop, for instance a raw file from a camera not supported by your version of Camera raw in your version of Photoshop.
MG
Mignot_Girma
Dec 13, 2008
yes i use kasperskey anti virus
R
Ram
Dec 13, 2008
Mignot,

You are in the wrong forum then. Kaspersky Internet Security is a Windows application and this is the Photoshop Macintosh forum.

When you go to post your question in the Photoshop Windows forum, please give them ALL the information requested in my previous post:

What file? Not only what type of file but where did it come from? What exact version of Photoshop? What exact version of the OS?

Was that file ever opened from or saved directly to a network server?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 13, 2008
I have a couple of files that will not open in CS 4 with the same error. They were created edited and save out of the CS4 Beta. Does not matter how I came by them but I know they were edited and saved from PS CS4 beta.

This could mean that if you got the files externally the problem is with your source.

I knew were my files came from and I expected. This does not mean that you have the issue.

there is at least one work around but I do not know if I should post it here and it will flatten the image an make it 8 bit.
R
Ram
Dec 13, 2008
Wade,

It’s always good to learn about possible solutions. πŸ™‚

But Mignot is on Windows, hasn’t given any indication about the files, his OS or version of Photoshop. For all we know, he may be trying to open RAW files in an ancient version of Photoshop, orΒ… who knows!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 13, 2008
* Doesn’t matter what platform here is the work around.

If you have a software like the Mac preview and I believe Windows has a photo reader then open the file and save it as any format you wish that photoshop supports and the open it.

The other work around is to open it in a previous version of Photoshop save it as a psd file and then open it in the your current version.

If it is CS 4 you are working with then opening the fies in CS 3 will work and if you have 3D layers they will be retained and when you reopen in CS 4 all will be well again.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 13, 2008
Wade,

I know you’re trying to be helpful. But it’s all just blindly shooting buckshot unless Mignot provides the details. And if this is a Photoshop/Win question, it is best handled in that Forum.

Neil
X
xZone9
Dec 13, 2008
I think that Ramon needs to remember that Mignot is not the issue or the problem. Mignot is reflecting needs for information and instead of responding with negative remarks and feedback, we should remain respectful even if the poster does not explain their question very well.

The problem with the files is evident on BOTH Mac and Windows where many postings are applicable to both. Some solutions might apply and others do not.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2008
And #78 was helpful or useful in what way???!

What sometimes works with files that won’t open is to open them in Illustrator or in Graphic Converter but if they are generating "end of file" messages, you are probably out of luck.

You could try running DiskWarrior to repair the Directories on your HDs which may prevent this from happening again but probably won’t help to reclaim the already-damaged files.
X
xZone9
Dec 13, 2008
In response to #79, my response was only helpful for one person, the user Mignot that is being belittled by pretentious posters who respond poorly or unprofessionally. Why do you badger people coming here seeking good advice as if you own the forum?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 13, 2008
And why do YOU badger people coming here who freely give their precious time to proffer their help and advice and to share their experience Β— when you have never done any of that.

Or was the real object of your posting purely to gain exposure and "click-throughs" for, and to drive traffic to, your own commercial website?

I think the answer is rather obvious.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Dec 13, 2008
xZone9

I will give you some friendly advice, don’t respond to this kind of stuff. Just post the advice or issues and filter the responses.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 13, 2008
Come on, guys…Instead of bickering with each other — yet again — can we please wait for Mignot to come back with additional information that further explains his problem?

Thanks!

Neil
R
Ram
Dec 14, 2008
xZone9’s claims are absurd. We don’t even know whether Mignot’s problem is simply a raw file from a camera not supported by his version of ACR.

The purpose of the forum is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster. That’s why there are separate Windows and Macintosh forums.
NK
Neil_Keller
Dec 14, 2008
We don’t even know whether Mignot’s problem is simply a raw file from a camera not supported by his version of ACR.

Yep.

The purpose of the forum is for everybody to benefit from all questions and answers, not just the original poster. That’s why there are separate Windows and Macintosh forums.

Again, yep.

And I recommend that unless/until Mignot posts back, we all take a break from Mignot’s problem.

Thanks!

Neil
J
JTampa1020
Dec 16, 2008
I have the same problem, and just received this very error today on a Photoshop file I opened and worked on earlier in the day. I’m using CS2 on a Dual 2 GHz PPC G5. No Norton AntiVirus (Norton has never been installed on my computer; I do use VirusBarrier X5 though). I work off a Dell PowerEdge 1800 server on a network, and have attempted to open the file off my desktop having copied it over with no success. And, this is not the first time this has happened. With previous files, ImageReady was able to open them up and I was able to resave them, but not with this file. All that opens up is a cyan box that fills 3/4 of the image size with a white background. All my layers are still there, although there is nothing visable with them on or off. No way of getting rid of the big blue box, either. Like I said, the layers are all there including the original layer names, but even on text layers when I double click them to highlight the text, the text is not there, and it defaults to Helvetica instead of the correct font, OptimusPrinceps. It’s just odd that I was able to open and work on it this morning, but not this afternoon. Thanks in advance for any help.
R
Ram
Dec 16, 2008
I work off a Dell PowerEdge 1800 server on a network

That’s a known cause of permanent file damage. :/

This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections