H
Posted By
harpoonface
May 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
am having a serious problem with Photoshop CS, well serious in the sense that my college work has to be in tomorrow !!! BAsically I have several .psd and .gif files, which i want to edit, and for some reaosn all of a sudden when i choose Save as, and the pop up window appears ‘Save’ is disabled and i simply cannot save my work, or new work ?!
Does anyone have any idea what is going on here, I am totally stumped, and time is a tickin.

H

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
May 7, 2004
More details, please. Machine, exact version of OS and Photoshop, how much RAM is installed, how much allocated to Photoshop, how much disk space available, etc.

In the meantime, make sure you are not opening files over a network nor saving them to the server, use only numbers and the letters of the English alphabet for the names of everything in the path (files, folders, drives) no special characters, no curly apostrophe’s, etc.

Tell us more…
B
Buko
May 7, 2004
The scratch disk maybe full try doing a purge.

More info would be helpful
H
harpoonface
May 7, 2004
Running Photoshop CS on Panther OS, 512K Ram.
I have restarted computer and Photoshop on several occasions to no avail, also not running on a network. I have nothing else open but photoshop. It definitely seemd to be a problem with photoshop itself, it is vbery strange as it was working fine yesterday.

H
R
Ram
May 7, 2004
Is that Panther 10.3.3? What % of RAM have you set Photoshop to use? With only 512KB you probably should set it to 50% or less.

Have you trashed prefs, then reinstalled Photoshop and Repaired Permissions afterward.

Where is your scratch disk? How much available disk space.

What about answering all the questions in posts # 1 and 2?

We can’t help you otherwise.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 8, 2004
harp,

A full or damaged harddrive can prevent you from saving.

But we still need more details, please, so we’re not just guessing wildly.

Neil
MD
Mark_Douma
May 9, 2004
I had this same exact same problem the other day. It’s not necessarily Photoshop or OS X, but more likely funky permission settings for the folder you’re trying to save to.

For me, the Save button was disabled for a folder that was in my very own user folder.

Turned out the permissions of the folder were such that I had read-only access.

Ordinarily that should rarely if ever happen, but it’s happened several times on my machine. In my particular case, I think it was caused by some sort of bug in ‘asr’ (Apple Software Restore) which I used to clone my 7 partition 80 GB to another 80 GB. Some of my user level files were left with system ownership, which isn’t a good thing to have…

Anyway, I would definitely check to see what the Finder shows the permissions to be in the Get Info window.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections