BK
Posted By
Bryan_Kearney
Nov 22, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to save alpha channels that I create in photoshop to a Camera Raw format.

I am creating a UI interface with various degrees of opacity over video. I need to be able to create a save alphas easliy.

My video size is 720 x 480… so my file size needs to be 345,600 bytes. Basically, all binary and no header, that what my C programmers want.

Currently, I paste the Alpha in a new .psd > Save as .bmp > Open in GIMP > Save a copy as RAW.

Is there a save as option I am missing?

I’m working in Photoshop 8.0 (CS) on Mac 10.4.8

Thanks,

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 23, 2006
You cannot save as a Camera RAW file.

And binary with no header is Photoshop RAW.
BK
Bryan_Kearney
Nov 27, 2006
Chris,

Thanks for the quick response, I now know that Camera RAW and Photoshop RAW are different.

However, I am still looking to save as Photoshop file as a raw file.

Here is my trouble, I am working with C++ programmers who require a 1 bit per pixel export. Specifically, a 1 bit per pixel file example would mean a 720×480 .psd should be exactly 345,600 bytes large when saved. They require no header data to proceed the pixel data information. Photoshop RAW doesn’t seem to work as such.

My current work-around is to save as a .bmp and open in GIMP and save as RAW. Is there an update or something I am missing?

I work with PSD 8.0 (CS) on Mac 10.4.8

Thanks,

B
Bernie
Nov 27, 2006
So why not just convert to bitmap mode and save as Photoshop RAW?

(Since as Chris says, PS RAW is binary wiht no header)
R
Ram
Nov 27, 2006
Once again, you cannot save it as "Camera Raw" file.
BK
Bryan_Kearney
Nov 27, 2006
Thanks Nomad,

But PS RAW does not give me the required 1 bit per pixel export. I must a file size of EXACTLY 345,600 bytes for a 720×480 file. Currently, when I save a PS RAW I get 386,539 bytes

Unless, I have a unknown saving option turned on, or am doing something wrong… PS RAW does not work.

Thanks again,

CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 27, 2006
Photoshop RAW works exactly as you describe: just the pixel data, without any header.

You are doing something wrong.
ML
Mark_L_McDonald
Dec 5, 2006
No, there’s nothing wrong. The size reports as larger than 345,600k because of the OSX icon is the resource fork. The actual pixel data is correct (which you’d discover if you tried to reopen the document).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections