TT
Posted By
Teressa_Terry
Feb 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using PS 6.01 on WinXP. I am having this very frustrating problem with Photoshop 6 and Illustrator 10. I get the above error every time I try to save my work, and am forced to "save as" a new file and can end up with as many as 10 files (which can use a LOT of disc space). Then I have to remember to go back and delete the extra files when WinXP will let me. This is probably an XP problem, but it only happens with these two Adobe products. Does anyone have any experience with this? Meanwhile, I’m also checking out Windows support.

Thanks,
Teressa Terry

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
graffiti
Feb 11, 2004
TT
Teressa_Terry
Feb 11, 2004
Sorry, no, all work is local; my machine has two drives and the work is saved on the D drive. I switched my scratch disk to D to see if that made a difference, but it didn’t.

I didn’t find anything on the WindowsXP support site, but that’s no surprise.

Teressa
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 11, 2004
search for and rename psicon.dll (i think that was included in 6) the downside is you’ll lose the ability to see icons as mini thumbnails of you psd’s.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Feb 12, 2004
Here’s a discussion on stopping that problem in PS 6:
<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.1de834b5/12>
TT
Teressa_Terry
Feb 17, 2004
Thanks! I deleted the psicon.dll file and now I can save in Photoshop (haven’t tried it in Illustrator yet, but I’m guessing there is an illustrator icon.dll file somewhere). Losing thumbnails was a drag, but I can live with that. I read the discussion below, but I’m guessing that applies to the thumbnail problem, not the saving problem.
WC
william_craft
Feb 18, 2004
I am having the same problem in PSCS. I also see .tmp files being placed into the folder that the file I’m working on is in. Will the fix for PS6 work in PSCS. I am saving over a network.

thanks,

billy
C
cyberseano
Feb 25, 2004
I had the exact same problem whether I saved to the network or my hardrive. This drove me nuts. Over the last year, I’m sure I have over 15gigs of wasted space due to all the COPY’s I have to make because of needing to "Save As" and slightly re-naming the file. Usually if my file is name "file_name_01a.psd" I’ll SAVE AS "file_name_01b.psd" and so and so on. Sometimes I get up to 25 copy’s of one .psd and with each one at anywhere from 5MB to 50MB you can see how over a years time this can add up.

Turns out, it WAS the psicon.dll. My Admin changed it to psicon.000 and now I’ve never had this problem again. What a breath of fresh air. Only problem is I can’t see .PSD thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Instead I now use ACDSee 6.0 to browse all my files and it shows .psds just fine.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections