Posted By
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 31, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

P
progress
Aug 31, 2004
looks very nice

if i hadn’t had just shelled out for a flatscreen for the bedroom this would be leaving a hole in my credit right now.
VM
victor_maldonado
Aug 31, 2004
Hello, Beautiful Photoshop People 🙂

Leave it to Apple to come out with yet another cutting edge design! Apple has the best design team on planet Earth!

I liked the look of the Cube, but people were not ready for such a break-through design, at least now people have been accustomed to seeing the unexpected from Apple which will make the Apple designs more acceptable to the masses.

Of course, my PC weenie friends will be calling and bad mouthing it. They seem to bad mouth anything that Apple makes, kinda shallow.

love & peace,
victor 🙂
L
Lundberg02
Aug 31, 2004
When i look at all the crap on my desk for this G3, I want to go out and hold up a liquor store or two and buy that.
B
Buko
Aug 31, 2004
Too Cool! B)
AK
ashley_karyl
Aug 31, 2004
Does anybody know what the quality of the monitor would be like? Is this a viable machine for Photoshop work? Having some extra space on my desk and less wires sure would be nice.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Aug 31, 2004
Internal view of the new iMac (at xlr8yourmac.com) <http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/iMac_G5_inside_low.jpg>

And other pics HERE. <http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/imacflat/04imac.html> But Apple makes you go through ‘hoops’ before you can view these in detail.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 31, 2004
Wow, look at the inside of the back of that thing, look at those RAM slots. Convenient.

Hmm… G5 = Power, Photoshop, yes, Photoshop should not only work great on this machine, I think the CS package with the 20" screen would be a perfect match for print publishing. Wireless everything, to the printer and to the stereo.

Ooo La La
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
In re: Photoshop…

Single 1.6 GB or 1.8 GB cpu clockspeed; 2 GB maximum RAM (256 MB basic configuration); 80 MB or 160 MB (or 250 MB option) are the hard disc options. No FireWire 800 or 1000BASE-T Ethernet. For many folks that would be more than adequate. For heavy-hitters, nope.

As for wireless networking, I don’t trust its security in an urban environment. And wireless tends to be slower than a wired network.

Allow 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Neil
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Sep 1, 2004
80 MB or 160 MB (or 250 MB option) are the hard disc options.

Wow Neil… that’s gotta be rough. <g>
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
Hey, Ronald…

Caught me doing editing on the fly. I found another hard drive option and modified my post. <vbg>

But, seriously, the smallest drives I look at today are more along the lines of 160 MB each. Just bought a 250 external firewire drive for backup. Files are growing bigger. Apps are growing bigger.

There was a time (around December 1990) when I thought I did the right thing by ordering the $1200 optional 200 MB internal hard drive when all Macs were being sold with 40 MB or 80 MB drives. Folks used to price out drives based upon an average $10/MB. And, as I recall, 44 MB SyQuests were taking over the world because Bernoulli drives were limited to around 20 MB.

And back in the days of the Apple ][ and //e (yep, that’s how it was written), computers had no internal drives and a 10 MB external drive was around $1000.

But I digress… <lol>

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
Ronald.

!

Neil

<vbg>
Sep 1, 2004
"As for wireless networking, I don’t trust its security in an urban environment. And wireless tends to be slower than a wired network."

Got an Airport wireless network (802.11g) in my home. Speed doing most stuff is plenty fast.

Security?
I’d challenge dang near anybody to gain access to it without my authorization.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Sep 1, 2004
<g> Happens to us all…
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
Phos,

Anything that broadcasts a signal several hundred feet beyond my control leaves me nervous. Security is still a stickier issue with wireless than wired networks. It’s easy enough to run some Cat 5e wiring around and plug it into a switch or router. And no security issues because of it.

Similar for cordless phones.

Neil
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 1, 2004
That said, yes, my next iMac will probably look like the picture on the Apple site.

Nice. Very nice.

Neil
L
Lundberg02
Sep 1, 2004
Come on now, what is the size of the hard disk? It can’t be 80 or 160 or 250 Mb. I wouldn’t even look at anything with less than 40Gb.
RH
r_harvey
Sep 1, 2004
It can’t be 80 or 160 or 250 Mb. I wouldn’t even look at anything with less than 40Gb.

It’s certainly not megabits (Mb), but that was covered in an earlier post. It’s probably more like gigabytes (GB) than gigabits (Gb)… and according to the specifications, it starts at eighty of ’em.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 1, 2004
From a Photoshop user’s point of view, the only flaw in the elegant and slim new iMacs, might be the apparent lack of space for a second internal HD.

<< Some things can be too slim and not rich enough. >>

< Wallace Simpson >
L
Lundberg02
Sep 1, 2004
I’m sorry, Neil, but you twice posted the hard disk as being 80, 160, or 250 Mb. That should be 80, 160, or 250 Gb. I finally figured out how to the find the right number on the Apple page. Guess wht? I went to the tech spec page.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 1, 2004
I would say that this is a sign of things to come. I would also think this will be their main household unit and people will buy their laptop an and this for the price of the a new G5 tower.

But I believe my idea about building them so they can be placed into the desktop instead of a tower and have the screen as the top cover like a laptop will come next.

I think what delayed the iMac was a redesign.

Maybe someone wrote a letter pointing them in the right direction.
P
progress
Sep 1, 2004
Phosphor…256 wep takes about a week to crack…so spin those encryptions if your serious every 2-3 days…ip and mac spoofing solve the other problems, but then theres the % of people who are prepared to go to that effort 😉

Grief its tempting…wonder how much my lcd tv will get on ebay…
DG
Dion_G
Sep 1, 2004
I’m sorry, Neil, but you twice posted the hard disk as being 80, 160, or 250 Mb. That should be 80, 160, or 250 Gb.

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh! (That’s the WRONG buzzer sound on a game show)

Lundberg:

Gb = gigabit
GB = gigabyte
L
Lundberg02
Sep 1, 2004
I’ve seen it both ways and the capital B convention should be the right way, I stand corrected..

But that iMac better have a bunch of GBs in it or forget it.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Sep 1, 2004
Wade Zimmerman, It’s nice to see you post here again. Now the forums can shift into a new higher gear.
VM
victor_maldonado
Sep 1, 2004
Wade Zimmerman, It’s nice to see you post here again. Now the forums can shift into a new higher gear.

Here, here! Howzit? Wade 🙂
B
Buko
Sep 2, 2004
I’m sure Wade has been here the whole time.

B)
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 2, 2004
I’m afraid not Buko I have been sort of busy this summer.

This is something I just shot:

Watch Hill/Porch <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Porch.jpg>
B
Buko
Sep 2, 2004
I have seen you in the other forums though.
B
Buko
Sep 2, 2004
also your link is bad.
SS
Susan_S.
Sep 2, 2004
One thing that really irritates me is the way they price them including stuff-all memory. Who on earth is going to buy one of these with just 256Mb of memory? It wouldn’t even operate all the included ilife apps with that little!! I know that memory isn’t that expensive but it’s still daft.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 2, 2004
Well I have been on the Illustrator Forum mostly and was hoping to help the PHotography forum get going. But there a some people with agendas that make life difficult if you don’t agree with them.

Let’s try the link again

Watch Hill Porch <http://mysite.verizon.net/wzphoto/Porch.jpg>
R
Ram
Sep 2, 2004
There was (is?) a very similar design, though different color, from either Dell or Compaq a while back, where the CD drive and the CPU and motherboard were (are?) integrated right behind the screen. Some other PC maker had another one a while back.

What Wade describes ("my idea about building them so they can be placed into the desktop instead of a tower and have the screen as the top cover like a laptop will come next) sounds very much like HP Compaq Tablet PC tc1100 <http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/>. CLICK HERE <http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/tabletpc/checkitout.html> to watch the whole movie and enjoy seeing it morph on Win2TV from a combination monitor/tablet to a full laptop with a flick of its integrated cover/keyboard.

This concept may be new for Apple, but it’s not an innovation per se. The new iMac leaves me as cold as the cube did. (Or all previous iMacs.)
B
Buko
Sep 2, 2004
Wade now its LOCKED never seen that one before.

you can email me at info@(you can figure it out).net I had to turn buko off because the SPAM is driving me nuts.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Sep 2, 2004
This is kind of what I want and it is not entirely new as I noticed that they have low profile desktops for the pc which are only 2 inches or so high. I would like to see it so that you place the computer or can place it actually into a cavity in a desktop that cna also have expansion space for additional hard drives and pc slots and RAM. Then I would like to me able to place a monitor of my choosing as the cover. I don’t want a tablet I want a computer although I would not mind using it as a tablet as well.

What they had there was a large palm unit. I need expansion and I need to be able to drag the main section out snap a keyboard to it and a traveling screen which would also be the cover such as a laptop.

I need a system not a tower. The tower takes up way to much space.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 2, 2004
Lundberg and Ronald.

I sneaked back in and fixed my posts.

…..now, I remember a time, a long time ago, when we were all much younger, when a Macintosh IIci with a 200 MB drive and 24-bit color card was quite the thing to have. It really sped through those 10 MB Photoshop files and…

Neil
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Sep 2, 2004
now, I remember a time, a long time ago, when we were all much younger, when a Macintosh IIci with a 200 MB drive and 24-bit color card was quite the thing to have. It really sped through those 10 MB Photoshop files and…

Yeah right Neil, after you had lunch and a coffee. 😉
Sep 2, 2004
Wade’s been pitching his woo at Dee Holmes.

Let him visit us here when he can make his own sweet time to do so.

😉

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections