S
Posted By
scanman1209
Oct 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a long time photographer who is beginning to switch to a "digital darkroom" and I could use some advice. After just spending the last 2 weeks moving I am inspired to get rid of a bunch of my belongings and looking for smaller alternatives to the ones I decide to keep. I am considering an iMac to replace my PC (which is in desparate need of an ug anyway). Photoshop will see moderate use (I have trial version now so I wouldn’t have to buy a new version of sw). My question is how color accurate is the monitor on the new iMacs? I’ve read that LCDs are not the best for cc, but I don’t consider this "critical" work as I can do the fine tuning at my photo lab (unlimited access)…I’d just rather get it good enough the first time so I don’t have to keep messing with it. Also, will the monitor calibration tools like the ones from Gretag MacBeth work with the new iMac?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

W
WharfRat
Oct 28, 2004
My question is how
color accurate is the monitor on the new iMacs?

Fine

Also, will the monitor >calibration tools like the ones from Gretag MacBeth work with the new iMac?

Yes
JM
Jerry McG
Oct 28, 2004
"Dr. Pepper" wrote in message
I am a long time photographer who is beginning to switch to a "digital darkroom" and I could use some advice. After just spending the last 2 weeks moving I am inspired to get rid of a bunch of my belongings and looking for smaller alternatives to the ones I decide to keep. I am considering an iMac to replace my PC (which is in desparate need of an ug anyway). Photoshop will see moderate use (I have trial version now so I wouldn’t have to buy a new version of sw). My question is how color accurate is the monitor on the new iMacs? I’ve read that LCDs are not the best for cc, but I don’t consider this "critical" work as I can do the fine tuning at my photo lab (unlimited access)…I’d just rather get it good enough the first time so I don’t have to keep messing with it. Also, will the monitor calibration tools like the ones from Gretag MacBeth work with the new iMac?

I woul;d not recommedn an iMac for any critical color work. I had one last year as a first foray into Mac for my digital photo processing & printing. It was not possible to accurately calibrate the monitor using either the Pantone Spyder or Monaco’s Optix. In both instances I contacted the mfrs of the devices, who could not offer any solutions. Apple tech support simply defered to ColorSync bulletins, which were no help. My local Apple dealer finally took it back and I went with a fresh PC & CRT which have been peerless.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections