WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I really could do with some help …. I have an LCD screen and am trying to sort out my display colours. If I go to the little display icon on the top right hand side then go to Open displays what should I set the display profile to … there are so many there that I am totally confused. I think that it has been set in the past to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but it that the best for using Elements or not?

I know that I can create my own profile but at the moment that is still beyond me …. so for the meantime I want to set it to one of the existing ones … the really question is which one.
Help ……………….

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Wendy, you should create your own profile. It is very easy. Click the calibrate button, then check expert mode. There’s not much to adjust on an LCD, but you should set the gamma to around 2.2, which is the native gamma for LCDs (ignore that it says PC native). The white point is probably okay. When you are done, name the profile and save it.

It’s very easy, doesn’t take long, and you can always use a different profile if you don’t like what you’ve done, but I bet you’ll be surprised at how much easier it is to read text once you reset the gamma. It’s usually horribly light on imacs from the factory.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 16, 2003
Hi Barbara … I just tried it and like you said it was quite easy to do. I thought it was going to be very complicated but there wasn’t much to it. Without your help I wouldn’t have know to change the gamma and would probably have left it as it was. Reading text is much easier now …

Thank you so much for your help.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
You’re welcome, Wendy.

I don’t know why they ship them with such a low gamma. Mine was 1.3 when I got it
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 16, 2003
Barbara … I am still having problems with colour. I import photographs from my Kodak Easyshare camera directly into iPhoto and then export them if they need any work doing. If I export as "original or jpg" elements cannot read them … if I export as tiff it comes with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 embedded. The only other option is png which doesn’t seem to have anything embedded.

I’m not really too sure which way to go now … up to now I have exported as tiffs but if this is going to embed sRGB IEC61966-2.1 is this now a viable option. Any ideas? The more I learn … the more there seems yet to learn 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Hi, Wendy. I would just ignore that completely as long as you are getting good output from your printer. Just be sure in Print Preview that you check "same as source" in the color management options. If that doesn’t do it, then you can get into the more complicated stuff, but remember that the idea of color management is to get an output that matches your screen as closely as possible.

If you are getting that, you’ve got it down. You only need to hassle with that stuff if you aren’t satisfied with your output or if you are saving files to print elsewhere. Otherwise it just makes your head hurt if you think about it too much.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 16, 2003
My goodness that was a very quick reply.

I don’t really print photographs much as I mainly just keep them in albums on iPhoto or send them via E Mail to friends so I think I will take your advice and ignore all the other things. Like you said it just makes your head hurt when you think about it too much and apart from a few colour shifts between iPhoto, Elements and Preview I’m not really having any great problems.

Thanks for all your help
Regards
Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 16, 2003
Wendy, do you still have those differences after calibrating? You really shouldn’t.

There’s a tiny little seeming shift in Preview because of the anti-aliasing, but they should be pretty much identical onscreen if you have calibrated your monitor.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Oct 16, 2003
Hi Barbara … the difference between preview & elements is slight now but there are still differences between iphoto and elements. I think that it maybe due to the imbedded sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in the photographs within iphoto.

Does that make sense?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections