HW
Posted By
h_wright
Aug 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7 loads in less than a minute;cs takes a full and I mean full 10+ minutes to load on new imac, 750+ ram ,65 Gs hd space free,processor 1.25. Spends most of the time scanning for presets. I get around this by opening and just leaving open; I can run other programs with no problem so far. But is there a problem with the program? I checked with teck support they just shrugged and yawned. Now I wish I’d just saved my money a stuck with 7.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 19, 2004
You forgot to mention the exact version of your OS X, but in any event what you see is far from typical. Photoshop 8 launches in exactly 7 seconds on my DP 1.25MHz G4. (Yes 7 seconds.)
JR
Joe_Reale
Aug 19, 2004
I just updated to CS last week and it loads faster than 7.

I also upgraded the CPU to 1.2 gHz and I have 1.5 GB RAM. I still cant get over how much faster it loads.

To save others the time….

Try running the usual maintainence routines. Repairing permissions can do a lot of good. Or if you have a disk repair ultilty see what that does.

Or if you havent used it that much and dont have any of your own files on it yet, just reformat the HD and reinstall everything from scratch. That way everything will be fresh.

Or see this thread about OS X, Ramón G Castañeda "Cocktail and Repair Permissions- please define what they are" 7/16/04 6:34pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>"> Maintainence
HW
h_wright
Aug 20, 2004
Os is 10.3.5. Can’t remember whether I upgraded before or after the cs install – most likely before. This is a new imac perhaps I should and will contact apple support before I mess aroud on my own see what they say.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. If anyone else has anything further please post. I may mot be able to reply for a few weeks, will be away. But when I return will post an update with what worked.

Thanks again
HW
h_wright
Aug 20, 2004
WOW. That was easy; ran disk utility;permissions repair. CS loads in under 2 minutes.

Thanks
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 20, 2004
CS should launch in under 10 seconds… (20 if you just booted the machine)
HW
h_wright
Aug 20, 2004
CS spends 90 seconds on "scanning for presets" and then opens in a flash. Hardly a serious problem in the whole scheme of things. On the other hand just wonder if there is a glitch somewhere I should be aware of and take steps to correct.
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 21, 2004
Have you added a LOT of files to the presets folder?
HW
h_wright
Aug 22, 2004
None st all.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections