Posted By
skirsch
May 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I know I’m beating a dead horse but …
I removed ALL the AutoFX plugins and CS still takes minutes to load. The problem isn’t with just AutoFX plugins but appears to be simply that the way CS loads plugins, in general, is VERY POOR! I’m not sure what the excuses are from Adobe but whatever the gains are during running the program are FAR outweighed by the load time. I put the 7.01 icon back on my desktop and will NOT use CS until this is rectified or in case I want to attach text to a curve. I think I’ve seen other comments from other people, but if we don’t keep at Adobe, one way or another, they will go on thinking they have a perfect product that needs only a few bugs hammered out. This one is an extremely annoying design flaw.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

IL
Ian_Lyons
May 1, 2004
The problem isn’t with just AutoFX plugins but appears to be simply that the way CS loads plugins, in general, is VERY POOR!

So ALL the other folk with lots of Plugins from different sources who don’t have a problem are dreaming?

Maybe instead of holding your breath for a fix you might do Adobe (and the rest of us dreamers) a favour and tell them what NON Adobe plugins you still have installed. If you have none then I would start looking for some other issue specific to YOUR computer or configuration. You might want to also check what Fonts you have installed.
BC
Bill Crocker
May 1, 2004
Photoshop CS is a real quagmire! I don’t understand how, or why, developers are releasing such over priced crap these days! Better question…why do people continue to buy it?

Bill Crocker

wrote in message
I know I’m beating a dead horse but …
I removed ALL the AutoFX plugins and CS still takes minutes to load. The
problem isn’t with just AutoFX plugins but appears to be simply that the way CS loads plugins, in general, is VERY POOR! I’m not sure what the excuses are from Adobe but whatever the gains are during running the program are FAR outweighed by the load time. I put the 7.01 icon back on my desktop and will NOT use CS until this is rectified or in case I want to attach text to a curve. I think I’ve seen other comments from other people, but if we don’t keep at Adobe, one way or another, they will go on thinking they have a perfect product that needs only a few bugs hammered out. This one is an extremely annoying design flaw.
RL
Robert_Levine
May 1, 2004
Ian’s right. You’ve done nothing but complain while giving us absolutely nothing as far as system details. PS CS loads up just fine both of my machines.

Bob
RL
roger_leale
May 2, 2004
I would go for the fonts too. I had lots to play with, and that made PS 7.01 fairly slow to load as well. Before I installed CS I removed most of these fonts, and all the non-Adobe plug-ins, except Focal Blade. (Because of visiting this forum a lot before I upgraded to CS!)
CS loads on my machine in between 15 and 30 secs, just occasionally a few seconds pause on ‘Initializing’
Any problems caused by a plug-in will show up immediately now.
S
skirsch
May 7, 2004
Sorry, I guess I assumed too much … I have an Intel P4 3 Ghz chip w 1 GB of RAM on an 800 bus. Plenty fast, plenty of hard disk. CS is only slow when loading the plugins so I don’t think it has anything to do with the other factors, or I would have pointed them out. I do have many older plugins (some as old as 1997 (such as Textissimo 2) but they all work fine. There are 600 8bf files, not that many others. Hopefully this helps and hopefully someone can come up with an idea on how I can get these to load faster. Thanks
CC
Chris_Cox
May 7, 2004
Reduce the number of non-plugin files, reduce the number of plugins, get a faster hard disk, etc.

The plugin load time is dominated by the OS reading information about the files and directories.
S
skirsch
May 7, 2004
Why should I have to reduce anything. PS 7.01 had no such problem. What are you giving me for the extremely long load time? I was in programming for over 25 years, I’ve been a Unix administrator for the past three years. Whenever there is an issue like this it needs to be offset by something VERY important that adds to the functionality of the product. Once again, what am I getting in return? If the plusses outweigh the minusses maybe Adobe should rethink their design.
BL
Bob Levine
May 7, 2004
You were right with your original post. You’re beating a dead horse. If you can’t Chris’ word for it, nobody else is going to be able to convince you that you and the few others that are having problems have something different in your system.

PS CS loads up at about the same rate on my machine as PS 7.0.

Bob
CC
Chris_Cox
May 7, 2004
Skirsch – because we had to change some of the file APIs we used in order to be compatible with new versions of Windows and pick up some important features. Unfortunately, some of those APIs are slower than the older versions. Microsoft has been told about this – but we’re dependent on them to fix it. We’ve already optimized the file scanning process as much as we can.
S
skirsch
May 7, 2004
Bob, I certainly do believe Chris and I appreciate his subssequent comments. Also, I guarantee this is not an issue with my computer as no other apps (including Adobe apps) load slowly. I can see that Chris appreciates the issues involving the new file scanning process that is the core of the loading of the plugins. There might be some plugins that I can live without and I’ll look into that. Thanks
S
subdude
May 8, 2004
On Fri, 7 May 2004 14:33:12 -0700, graced us
with:

Skirsch – because we had to change some of the file APIs we used in order to be compatible with new versions of Windows and pick up some important features. Unfortunately, some of those APIs are slower than the older versions. Microsoft has been told about this – but we’re dependent on them to fix it. We’ve already optimized the file scanning process as much as we can.

Chris –

THANK YOU SO MUCH for confirming what many of us believed since CS came out. If those monitoring the forums (both here and on adobe.com) had said this from the beginning instead of blaming on so many other things, I for one would have happily accepted this as the problem and moved on. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons (corporate/management pressures, corporate communications agreeements, etc.) you said everything but…which raised suspicious of ‘trying to gloss over’ the issue rather than address it.

In fact, I actually got such an answer from you on one of the forums. Had it been your average joe, I would have written it off but because I respect you personally and have always admired the way you reach out to the user community – I was bothered by it much more. (In fact I used CS less then I used 7.0.1, until I did a recent re-install of my entire OS and somehow, CS runs a bit faster now.) I am glad that you are now able to speak of this, since to me (and I’m sure other long time customers) it means that the ball is PUBLICALLY in MS court.

Thanks once again for your input, I hope Adobe realizes how important your contributions to these forums are!

Robert Anthony Pitera
ME
mike.engles
May 9, 2004
Hello

I have noticed that Photoshop CS takes 15-20 secs to load all my fonts and plugins, wheras Photoshop 7 takes about 8 secs.
Not a big deal but there is a difference. CS seems to hang a round longer checking plugins compared to 7. I have all my plugins in the same folder apart from the Photoshop specific ones.

Both Photoshops are on the same drive and have the same preferences that are in common.

I use WinXp pro and 1Gb of ram.

Mike Engles
B
BobLevine
May 9, 2004
Mike,

Yes, CS does take a few secons more. But most of the complaints revolve around a startup of minutes.

Bob
DC
Don_Colacino
May 13, 2004
I’ve noticed that Photoshop CS seems to have gotten slower since I first loaded it. Interestingly, the major time lag is not during loading of the plugins, but rather after the last message has been displayed, which says: "Reading Text Global Resources … Done." From there it takes nearly a full minute for the program to fully display and respond to anything. Yesterday I killed the process a few times, re-booted, and did a system restore all to no avail. Before completely reloading the program, I finally tried again and gave it about 5 full minutes to load after the "…Done" message. Voila! It worked. Took a few minutes the next couple of times, now I’m back down to around a minute. Any idea what could be causing this?

BTW: I have a 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 Processor-based system with Hyperthreading technology, several free gigs of disk space on both the main and scratch drives. No disk errors are being reported and no slowdowns in other app’s. Only non-default plugin I’m loading is for my Nikon raw images.
H
harrillj
May 24, 2004
Skirsch,
I had the same problem after uninstalling all 4 of my new AutoFX plugins. In my case however, the uninstall of the photo graphic edges did NOT remove all of the folders from PS CS. I deleted the folder and it now takes about 8 to 10 seconds to launch down from almost 3 minutes. Of course I am not using the AutoFX plugs and am waiting on their fix.

This may not be your problem, but look in the Photoshop plugin folders for any remaing AutoFX folders. The one I found was names something like "PGPE", or something similar.
R
randomb
Jun 15, 2004
I thought I would send a quick note to let you all know the problem I ran into in the hopes it may help you. Photoshop CS was loading fine until one day it started taking 5 minutes to start. I took the steps recommended here and blew away the "Presets" and "Plug-Ins" folders and started adding directories one by one after verifying Photoshop was loading properly. Come to find out, I had a shortcut within "Layouts" to another directory for ease of navigation. Once the shortcut was removed, Photoshop loaded in under 8 seconds. CS was choking on this link and taking forever to clear (or it followed the link and tried to process all of the files in the directory it was pointing).

Good luck…
MM
Michael_Moy
Jul 7, 2004
A July 2, 2004 response from AutoFX Customer Service re: PGE load times….

Subject: RE: AutoFX and Photoshop CS (Windows)

We are working on a fix for the slow launch of Photo Graphic Edges in Photoshop and should be out by the end of this month. Please let me know if you need anything elseย…
Thank you,
Mallorie Fox
AutoFX Software
Customer Service
AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 8, 2004
I don’t want to cause a fuss here.

Far be it from me to oppose what Chris Cox is saying. I love TONS of respect for Adobe and love their products nonetheless. They are stable, amazingly powerful and very well optimized.

I am having the same problem you are having, Skirsch. Try something for me. Take the steps I outlined in my thread:

Aaron Martone "I don’t like Photoshop CS" 7/8/04 8:16am </cgi-bin/webx?13/3>

(Entitled "I don’t like Photoshop") (I LOVE PS, not like.) ๐Ÿ™‚

And let me know if you bootup any faster. The pro side is, PSCS booted up for me in seconds, while the con was that I lost the functionality of TWAIN support and a lot of FILE > AUTOMATE commands.

But this is all trial and error troubleshooting. We’re helping Adobe out in order to help ourselves out. I’m sure once Adobe knew the cause of the problem, they’d take good care of us.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 8, 2004
remove any support files that are not actual plugins (8bf, etc) from the plugins folder.
AM
Aaron_Martone
Jul 8, 2004
Hey Dave.

I’ll give that a shot when I get home. But just so I’m sure what I’m doing here, you want me to remove anything in:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS\Plug-Ins\

that is NOT .8BF?

That’s 67 items. (Default PS Install, no filters/plugins installed). I got .8ba, .8be, .8li, .xml, .psd, .txt and .zdt files. Are these known to cause problems?
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 8, 2004
Try moving just the: .xml, .psd, .txt and .zdt files. and anything else not a plugin.

..8ba, .8be, .8li are all plugins.
JD
james.day
Jul 16, 2004
I think the problem is actually with the AutoFX software. Or rather, the way Photoshop and AutoFX interact. I recently installed AutoFX and now my Photoshop CS is loading very slow. Where before it loaded normally. The splash screen says it is scanning for plugins. I have already verified the location that I installed the AutoFX software/plugins, and I unchecked Photoshop’s "Additional plugins folder" option just to be sure it would only look in the Photoshop folder. And it still loads very slow.

I e-mailed AutoFX and I hope to hear back soon. However, I expect them to say it is a Photoshop problem. I also expect Adobe to say it is an AutoFX problem since it only happens (as far as I know) with the AutoFX software.

James
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 16, 2004
james, see my posts just above yours and move anything out of the plugin folder that’s NOT an actual plugin. I’ve heard that autofx puts about a gig of support files in there and PS has to go through each one to determine if it’s a plugin it should load.

others here have heard back from autofx saying they’re working on a fix. i’d guess it’d be out by end of summer, cuz they’ve been saying that for a couple months now.

dave
S
skirsch
Aug 7, 2004
I’ve been REAL busy so I just got around to trying out the ~ option explained by one of the responders. Photoshop still took quite a while loading and it is the scanning of all my plugins that takes a long time (like Chris said). Irritating but tolerable. I’m still not sure what benefit has been provided by Adobe over Photoshop 7 but I guess I have to live with it … at least until the next release or major patch to CS.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 7, 2004
I’m still not sure what benefit has been provided by Adobe over Photoshop 7 but I guess I have to live with it …

<http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/newfeatures.html>

Top 10 new features:
* Improved File Browser
* Match Color command
* Histogram palette
* Shadow/Highlight correction
* Text on a path
* Integrated digital camera raw file support
* Comprehensive 16-bit support
* Layer Comps
* Macromedia Flash file export
* Customizable keyboard shortcuts
S
skirsch
Aug 8, 2004
I didn’t mean new features in CS … rather the advantages due to the slow scanning of all the files in the plugins folder.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 8, 2004
oh. nothing slow here so i didn’t notice. ๐Ÿ™‚
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 9, 2004
skirsch – unicode file names, long file paths, and improved Windows compatibility. (we had to use the new APIs).

Again, any significant delay is probably because you have too many files (and most likely not plugin files) in the plugins folder.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections