CH
Posted By
Christoph_Hauert
Sep 16, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Finally I replaced my aging PowerMac G4 with a brand new 24" iMac (3GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD). The transition went smooth except for the Adobe Creative Suite Premium… I attempted a custom install of only Acrobat 6 Professional, Photoshop CS and Illustrator CS but only Acrobat got installed and runs just fine.

The Illustrator CS installer launches but then prompts again for the serial number but would not accept the serial number of the Creative Suite…! Luckily, in this case I can simply copy the installation from my old Mac (including /Library/Application Support/Adobe) and it works just fine.

The Photoshop CS installer quits with a message "This installer cannot be run independently. Please install this product using the suite installer" – but this just what I was doing…! Unfortunately, the copying the old installation trick does not work with Photoshop CS. Launching Photoshop CS fails with the message "Could not complete your request because certain required files were not found in the Adobe Photoshop CS Required folder. Please reinstall Photoshop to restore these files." (Note, nothing was lost during copying because if I copy everything back to the PowerPC Photoshop launches without complaints.)

This spoils the fun with the new system… On the net and in the forums I was unable to uncover any clues that would resolve this situation, so any help would be highly appreciated!

Chris

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
Jim_Jordan
Sep 17, 2008
One clue you should have easily uncovered is that CS was designed for PPC processors. You now have an Intel processor. Use your CS license to upgrade to CS4.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 17, 2008
Or if you can’t wait and need Photoshop now, CS3.

Neil
EE
evans_elaban
Sep 17, 2008
Every time I go to open a file in Photoshop the program shuts down, I get an unexpected error and photoshop shuts down. I just got a brand new Mac pro but photoshop is the only. Can I get some help.
P
Phosphor
Sep 17, 2008
Evans…

Do you really expect to get any kind of help when you fail to provide any details about your system, your version of Photoshop, and what you may have already tried to do to solve your problem?

The details are very important. All we know is Photoshop, Mac Book Pro, and problem; it’s like you expect us to mindread you on the rest.

You might also have a look through some of the threads already going to see if you recognize anyone having a problem similar to your own.

Also, it seems as though you’ve jumped in on somebody else’s thread on a different subject.

I suggest reading the info at the following link and then starting your own thread, or to contribute to one about the same problem that’s already in progress.

LenHewitt, "How To Get Help Quickly" #, 4 Mar 2004 8:27 am </webx?50>
CH
Christoph_Hauert
Sep 17, 2008
Did anyone manage to get Photoshop CS running on an Intel Mac with Leopard?

@Jim: of course I am aware that it’s now an Intel processor but Rosetta is working flawlessly in the case of Illustrator CS and Acrobat.

I just don’t like the thought of having to dump my Creative Suite simply because Photoshop’s installer or serial number verification is broken…

Thanks for your suggestions – I guess that means there is no way to resolve this issue. Hopefully the upcoming CS4 will make upgrade decisions easier.

Chris
B
Buko
Sep 17, 2008
Adobe has stated they will not support CS and CS2 under Leopard.
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 18, 2008
Christoph,

I just don’t like the thought of having to dump my Creative Suite simply because Photoshop’s installer or serial number verification is broken…

You don’t have to dump it — instead use it as the discounted path for an upgrade to Adobe’s Leopard-compatible software

And, BTW, there’s nothing wrong with the installer or serial number verification. CS was never designed with Leopard in mind, as it was engineered and released years before Leopard ever got off Apple’s drawing board.

Neil
B
Buko
Sep 18, 2008

Is it Photoshop thats broken or is it Leopard? My guess would be Leopard as CS work with the 2 previous versions of OSX. It could be 3 versions as I forget when CS was released.

That said you don’t see too many complaining that they can’t run their classic apps on their Intel boxes a couple have noticed that PS7 won’t run in Leopard is that Adobe’s fault?

I happen to have CS running under Leopard but then I installed it under Tiger. YOU might give migration a try and see if that works.
CH
Christoph_Hauert
Sep 18, 2008
Is it Photoshop thats broken or is it Leopard?

Point taken – and I agree that Leopard seems the more likely cause of the trouble.

I happen to have CS running under Leopard but then I installed it under Tiger.

That’s exactly the kind of information I was looking for – thanks! So now I have to locate an Intel version of Tiger – mine are all PPC… That will keep me entertained at least until CS4 is out and I can reconsider everything anew 😉

Thank you very much!
Chris
NT
Nini Tj
Sep 18, 2008
If it is a new machine you cannot install Tiger on it. It has to stay with the OS it came with, that is Leopard. What Buko says is he already had CS installed under Tiger before he installed Leopard and therefor CS apps kind of works. They are not very compitble though and Illustrator is the worst. The only solution to keep the CS apps for a new machine is to keep them on the old machine then use the apple Migration Assistant to move them all over to the new machine including your user area (where some vital files are stored for the apps). Bear in mind though that CS is not very compatible with Leopard machines at all and never will be.
CH
Christoph_Hauert
Sep 24, 2008
Thanks to everybody for their helpful comments.

Finally I managed to resolve the situation and, for the records, wanted to report it here if anyone else encounters these difficulties.

1) The reason why the installer of Illustrator CS and Photoshop CS did not work was because I chose the case sensitive HFS+ filesystem.

2) With the standard (case preserving) HFS+ file system CS installs (and works) nicely on Leopard.

3) An installation on standard HFS+ can be copied to a case sensitive HFS+ disk but then the file name that is responsible for serial number verification under Photoshop CS ( http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=32 6496) needs to be changed. Inside Photoshop CS.app go to Contents/Resources/asn and change the name of the file PS.SIF to PS.sif

That gives me now ample time to decide whether to upgrade to CS4 🙂 Cheers
Chris
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Chris,

I think there is still some confusion. First, almost no one here has a legitimate need to use case-sensitive HFS+. And most of your apps will not work properly if so formatted. You should select "Journaled". To avoid problems, you should reformat.

Also, understand that "case sensitive" means that the OS sees, say, FILE.PSD as a different file from File.psd or file.psd, etc. What you’re calling "standard" is NOT "case preserving". It IGNORES the case you’ve used to name the file. So, FILE.PSD would be seen as another copy of file.psd and your computer would ask you if you should replace the file if you tried to save both in the same location.

Neil
CH
Christoph_Hauert
Sep 24, 2008
Neil

Well I don’t understand the source of confusion… Coming from the Unix world I certainly prefer a case-sensitive file system and of course it should be ‘Journaled’.

Except for the CS installer I did not encounter any difficulties with the case sensitive file system.

If you look at the specification of HFS+ you will realize that it is indeed ‘case-preserving’, which means if you create a file named fiLE.pSd it will remember the (odd) capitalization but will not allow the creation of another file e.g. FILE.psd in the same directory. On a case sensitive file system these would be two different legitimate filenames whereas on a ‘case ignoring’ filesystem the capitalization would be lost.

Hope that clarifies things.
Chris
NK
Neil_Keller
Sep 24, 2008
Chris,

I admit that I’m caught up in the semantics here — I’m not a programmer. I do not know UNIX. But let me explain…

If you launch Disk Utility, and select a drive and click Erase, these are the choices that are offered, with the first choice as generally the best choice for most OS X users:

Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive)
UNIX File System

With that info, it sounds logical (at least to me!) that ignoring the case would be a description for the opposite of case-sensitive.

In any case, thanks for responding and shedding further light on the subject.

Neil
R
Ram
Sep 24, 2008
Chris,

If you read the System Requirements for CS4, you will see that it specifically WILL NOT work on case sensitive drive. If you can’t live with that, don’t upgrade to CS4.
NT
Nini Tj
Sep 24, 2008
Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is the default and recommended one. AND having the harddisk GUID-partitioned (and not Apple partioned) if you are using an Intel Mac.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Sep 24, 2008
That gives me now ample time to decide whether to upgrade to CS4…

Watch Adobe’s upgrade deadlines very carefully, since some upgrade prices do expire.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections