JC
Posted By
Jane_Carter
Feb 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been reading the reviews on the net and everything looks pretty darn good for this iMac with the 20" screen.
Is there anyone here who has one? I would love to ask some questions,,,,,,,

I was wondering if they are really as quiet as they say, the store is in the middle of a town, so I can’t hear anything over the road noise there.
An Epson CX 5400 comes with it for 100bucks, and he will ‘give me a deal’ on adding memory to the max.
I do need to know if all my Adobe software will run on the OS, Panther. I have Illustrator 10, PSE 2, GoLive 6. Then I have all the EyeCandy, Xenofex, and other plug ins too.

I just always get nervous when I think of all that dough, I get cold feet. But I guess this Mac has more ‘bang for the buck’ or value than the other computers.
The owner of the store talked me out of the G5, don’t need it for what I do. Jane

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 25, 2004
Jane, perhaps someone will step in but not sure about older versions of software with panther;

<http://www.adobe.com/products/adobesupportsOSX.html>

is that your only choice ?…panther ?
MR
Mark_Reibman
Feb 25, 2004
Jane,

I was looking at the 20′ iMac in the Apple store yesterday. What a beaut! The moniter seems to be better than the 15" and 17". I don’t know why? Go to the pbase site and view your galleries and others. There no reason that your software shouldn’t work if it’s been created for the Mac OS X. Especially the major apps. The plugins may have problems but they usually update them quickly if there is any problem.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 25, 2004
Panther is what comes with it, seems like they add little upgrades to it frequently. The store guy said that he has almost all the Adobe products installed on his various store machines, so will be able to tell me which will be OK.
I am thinking of maybe getting the whole CS shebang later in the year(my husband gets the academic prices, otherwise I would hesitate on that). But I know PSE 2 is OK and I think GoLive is OK, but should find that out on the GoLive forum. I do have its update installed. I did buy Bryce 5, (but have not had time to use it yet), but that is one reason that I will keep the G4 right here.
Oh, this is getting exciting,,,,,,,Nah, not gonna wait for Santa,,,,,, Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 25, 2004
I’ve drooled over the 20 inch imac in the Apple store. It is truly a thing of great beauty (although at Apple Australia prices it has a bigger mark up over the US prices than some of the other machines – it’s expensive particularly as Apple continue to ship their machines out of the box with way too little RAM) Jane – If you can get the academic price on CS are you getting the education price on the computer? – here in Australia that doesn’t give me much cut in $ but does give me a three year warranty at no extra charge – both I and my husband have used this! Now I’m no longer an academic, but my husband still is! And I suppose I may go back to it if I can’t find a way of making this hobby pay, as my little one goes off to school in less than two months time!

PE2 works fine on 10.3.2. You will have to check the plugins out – some will be upgradeable to OSX versions (I think the newer version of eyecandy speaks OSX – I have the freebie older version which is OS9 only) PE2 does run quite nicely in classic mode on my machine if there is a plugin that is OS9 only that you just have to use.
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 25, 2004
Hi Susan, The academic price isn’t quite good enough on the Macs here either, my brother found that my price thru a retailer was better than his price when we included all the software, tech support and added up all the other stuff. Plus a long wait.

But the software like Adobe, my husband gets great prices. So with the RAM extras and the close-by-store with "bring yourself and your computer back here and hang out, hey come in anytime!" tech support, I think I will go with this store.
I will ask them at the store about the plug ins as they have a Photoshop expert, a young man who knows all
about this. He is there mostly on the weekdays.

I just got a thought, if you live near the Great Barrier Reef, or anywhere in Queensland, I will pack all the Macs I can smuggle onto the plane, myself, a bathing suit, snorkel stuff, a peanut butter+jelly sandwich, and hop on the nearest jet,,,,,,,,,, My son-in-law just was on a business trip there and he fell in love with the area.
Jane
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 25, 2004
Sorry Jane – I’m in Adelaide, South Australia! It’s a long haul for me to get to the Barrier Reef (altho’ actually my favorite Australian snorkelling spot is Lord Howe Island off the New South Wales coast) I haven’t been snorkelling since I had kids…

Susan S.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 25, 2004
Jane, so, you ARE going to buy it right ? I mean, it’s been a while…I think you’ve procrastinated long enough and you need to stop putting guilt trips on yourself. We are finally looking forward to the " I got it ! " post. Please 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, I really have to buy it, husband pushing me, friends too. Gotta do it!
My present computer won’t really like it, but it won’t get pushed off the desk, as I really need OS 9 and the stable never-failing system.
I have a little more research to do, then,,,,,,,, take a deep breath and close the eyes and,,,,,,, Jane

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections