I
Posted By
ieee488
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Some of the fonts that are in C:\WINDOWS\FONTS are not showing up in the drop down font box in PSE1.

Why is this? And how do I fix it?

I wasn’t even aware of this until I installed a font viewer program and it showed me some fonts that aren’t showing up in PSE.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BB
brent_bertram
Jan 18, 2004
Do you have a lot of fonts ? There is a limit to the amount of registry space pointing to the fonts . Interesting link at <http://graphicssoft.about.com/library/weekly/aa072099.htm> .

🙂

Brent
I
ieee488
Jan 18, 2004
I have about 424 installed fonts.

I did something rash. I removed PSE1 then re-installed it.

And now there are three fonts that show up at the bottom of the font box listing.

One is ITC Zapf Dingbats and it is listed right below font named Yearbook. Then there is a separator line, followed by Lucida Sans, followed by another separator line, followed by Effusive.

This very bizarre.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 18, 2004
I’ll agree with that ! <G>

🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 18, 2004
You’re right – it is bizarre. And since you’re now going to have to do some more playing around to fix it, I thought I’d pass along the information that Elements will occasionally choke up with as many fonts installed as you have. The recommendation is for between 150 and 200. People who love collecting fonts usually use some kind of font manager so not all have to load each time an application is launched.
I
ieee488
Jan 18, 2004
Darn.

It looks like as though that Elements looks at which fonts are installed when it starts up. If so, how would using a font manager help? Or am I wrong?

Thanks.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 18, 2004
I don’t have many fonts installed on my computer, so I’ve never used a font manager. However, the way I understand the way they work, some fonts are kept in files, where they’re readily available when you want them, but they’re not lumped in with all fonts in the system font folder. That way they don’t all load every time an application like Elements is launched. Some people just keep the fonts they use less often in separate folders on their hard drive. When they’re doing a special project, they drag them out for the occasion. You might try a Google search for "font managers" and see what comes up.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 18, 2004
Create sets of fonts and switch them active and inactive when needed. < http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/03/index3a.html?tw=de sign> .

🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections