PT
Posted By
Peter_T._Neale
Jan 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to sort out my Windows Fonts folder, identifying which fonts belong there as Windows defaults, which ones are there by virtue of applications I’ve installed, and which ones I’ve downloaded from the Web and added.

I’m particularly wanting to find out which fonts Photoshop Elements 2 installs. If you look in the fonts dropdown in the program, you can’t be certain that what you see there are just PE2 fonts. I’ve looked for a fonts folder on the installation CD as well but haven’t found one. The fonts on the CD might be contained in zip files, anyway.

So, can anyone give me a list of the font names (and also their filenames) installed by PE2?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Jan 25, 2004
I don’t think it installs ANY.
Except one or two UI fonts used in its own menus but these aren’t user choosable TT fonts.

However, I don’t have any factual proof of that. A search on Adobe for answer was fruitless.

Mac
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Jan 26, 2004
Elements doesn’t install any fonts, it just uses the ones you have already. Additionally, if you have too many fonts installed then it can cause problems.

Wendy
PT
Peter_T._Neale
Jan 26, 2004
Ah, well, if you reckon it doesn’t install ANY, that’d account for me not finding any signs of fonts on the installation CD, using W. Explorer.

There are definitely two weird fonts that appear in the PE dropdown – Photoshop Large and Photoshop Small. Those two do NOT appear in the Windows Fonts folder. As regards the other fonts showing in the dropdown, undoubtedly most of them come from Windows, from MS Office, and I also recognise a few I’ve added that I got off the Net. But there are some there whose source I cannot pinpoint.

Actually, I’ve looked further into the whole matter of fonts and have concluded that, once installed by a myriad of OS and apps, it’s all but completely impossible to say which fonts come from which apps. There’s so much overlapping going on. Windows itself (Win2K) installs only about 40 fonts. Other large contributions come from MS Word.

At present, I’ve a total of 250 fonts and have not noticed any problems with my apps. One or two of you claim that font numbers must be kept low, as otherwise certain apps bomb out. Can you expand on this? Why should there be a problem in loading all fonts into RAM? After all, we now use very much larger sizes of RAM than hitherto, and also faster CPUs. When I run PE, for example, there’s plenty of RAM available, as I’ve 1GB fitted.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 27, 2004
Peter, I just looked, and I do not have fonts called Photoshop Large or Photoshop Small in Elements! This is the first time I’ve ever heard of them. I run a Mac, by the way.

In regard to your comment about the number of fonts installed – 250 is not out of line. There’s a estimate of between 150 and 200 that’s said to be "about right", but keep in mind that’s just an arbitrary number. There are people who have 500 to 1,000 or more installed. (At work we always called them ‘fontaholics’.) The problem with too many fonts usually surfaces while Elements tries to load all of them in while it’s launching, rather than being a simple issue of RAM. If you have a hefty computer system, then you can undoubtedly get by with having more active fonts than someone who is operating with only a marginally adequate system.

Here on the forum, we become aware of it when people post complaining of Elements freezing during startup or of taking a very long time to launch. One of the things we ask them to do is watch the loading process to see where it’s hanging up. Very often they come back and say it stalls at "loading fonts." When we ask how many they have on their computer, the answer is often waaaaay more than 250, or even 500 for that matter.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Beth, the photoshop large and small are in my Elements 1.

Geeze, if only I can remember that great font manager that someone once posted.
BG
Byron Gale
Jan 27, 2004
I’ve got both of those Photoshop fonts in my PSE2 – but they’re not in my Fonts folder (Win98SE).
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 27, 2004
I wonder if they’re part of the install for Windows but not Mac? I don’t have them in the drop down for PSE 1, either.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 27, 2004
Beth, geeze, unless they are used for something in particular….i mean for other programs to see font…i wouldn’t worry about not having them. They are kind of really ugly. 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 27, 2004
It’s a Winders thang. They show up in the font list on the XP Pro computer, but they’re not on either of my Macs, either PSE 1 or PSE 2.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 27, 2004
I was looking for this the other day and couldn’t find it. This is a list of the required fonts for Windows XP, for the benefit of anybody who has decided to "tidy up" the font folder of their computer.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/2a39e.htm>

Any other fonts that are on your computer have been installed by another application. I think the font list is probably much the same for earlier versions of Windows, but I have no way of knowing for sure.
DM
Dave McElderry
Jan 27, 2004
A suggestion for those Windows users who might be tempted to use the font list from the Adobe tech doc to begin their Spring font cleaning.

I did some of this a couple of weeks ago. Upon completion of deleting about 40 fonts I found that several of my other programs would not run. Windows was fine, and PE was fine, but…

The problem was easily corrected by restoring the deleted fonts from the recycle bin. If you delete fonts, make a list of their names, and immediately check to be sure that your other programs work. The recycle bin leaves you an out.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections