JS
Posted By
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is a somewhat basic question from someone who should know better, but sometimes I think old age is catching up with me.

Often I will receive layered Photoshop files with text layers, and the author very often does not send the fonts. So when I (the service provider) open his/her file, if the fonts are not active on my computer I receive the warning that the fonts will need to be installed in order to affect vector output, and the font layers that don’t have fonts installed have the yellow caution symbol.

But as long as I don’t try to edit the type layers, I can make other edits, and resave the file, thus using the rastered/composite part of the file for the type layers, and somehow my edits on pixel layers or shape layers or whatever get rewritten to the composite image, and the type parts are somehow still maintained in the composite without the need to rewrite them from the font outlines.

So does that mean that the fonts are embedded somehow, in part of the file, but not to the extent that they can be used to edit?

And what happens if you save such a file as PDF without the proper fonts active?

Will the fonts make it into the PDF to enable vector output when placed in ID?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
I don’t think so.

the fonts are raster representations of the font and if you make the PDF without the font they are still raster.

This has been my experience.
JS
John_Slate
Sep 29, 2006
So I surmise then that a type layer in the native format is comprised of two parts, a pre-Photoshop 6 raster part, and a live vector part that is only accessed when the layer is being edited.
B
Buko
Sep 29, 2006
when the layer is being edited.

or output to a postscript printer or PDF.

this has been my experience, someone correct me if I am wrong.
K
katyp
Sep 29, 2006
The fonts will appear properly in Photoshop, but if you try to export as a layered PDF, you might have problems with the printer as it might try to use a default font. My suggestion would be to flatten the text layers only… make them an actual image instead of text, then you could place the PSD in InDesign and export as a PDF.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections