BO
Posted By
Barb_Osburn
Jan 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently installed Elements 2 and when I click on "help" it tries to take me on line. I go on line and it says there is no such site. Somehow, I KNOW I’m going to need help with this software. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Please email me directly.

Many thanks – anxious!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 14, 2004
Are you sure it’s really trying to take you online? The Help files and Tutorials will open in your default browser, but if you look at the bottom of (for example) the Internet Explorer screen, you’ll see that it says it’s working in "Local zone." If it’s really online that area will display "Internet zone". Adobe, along with many other companies, now use browsers to display the Help files written as HTML.

Check again; I don’t think you’re really online when the browser opens.
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 14, 2004
And if it says "no such site" what ISP do you use? Are you an AOL subscriber, if so that has been a problem for some with accessing the help files.

I don’t remember the exact fix but someone here will.

Dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 14, 2004
Thanks, Dick, I read the question a little differently, but that could be what’s going on.

If you are a user of AOL, CompuServe, Yahoo, or perhaps another ISP that provides a customized version of Internet Explorer, the Help files from Elements cannot be read by them. You’ll need to go into the Control Panel of your computer and select a plain vanilla version of IE or another common browser as your default. If this is the problem, post some platform and operating system information and someone will be able to give you pretty specific instructions on changing the default – which won’t have any effect on your regular internet service.
AG
Arnold_Grahl
Jan 31, 2004
I am a new user and I have a similar problem. Probably because I am using SBC Yahoo DSL. I don’t think I can change the default browser without disabling my DSL. So I guess I am stuck not accessing online help that way. Is there another way to access the help?
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 31, 2004
Arnold,

Your computer came with a browser, IE if you are running Windows.

You don’t at any time have to use the customized browser which you probably got because you installed a CD from SBC. Just close the SBC browser, if you have opened it and are online, which of course you must be at this moment. Then locate the icon for IE, the version which came with your computer and fire it up. I have SBC DSL also, although I didn’t use their installation disk to set it up. I just go to Start>Connect To> choose my DSL connention and then launch IE.

Nancy
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 31, 2004
Arnold, are you really trying to access online Help, or are you trying to access the Help files from Elements? To many people, it looks like they must have to be online to get at them, but that’s not true. The Help files in Elements simply use an internet browser for the purpose of displaying the Help files, kind of like when Word would open if you wanted to view a letter.

You can either use Nancy’s method, or you could choose Internet Explorer as your default browser, which would not effect your DSL service at all. That’s done through the Control Panels of your computer. If you’d like more details on setting it up, post back with information about your operating system.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections