File…new not working. Tool bar stops working during workflow. Can anyone help?

C
Posted By
cbiehl
May 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

First of all I LOVE CS2. Unbelievable job on the upgrade. But I am becoming frustrated:

1. When I first open the program I notice that many times I cannot just click file..new and begin. Most times the menu for new is not available. I either have to click on it a couple of times or click on edit and then click back onto file until my menus are no longer gray. This is not a big deal but it is bothersome.

2. The main problem deals with my tool bar. While working on a project my tool bar will simply stop working. For example, I will be working with the brush, I will stop, click on the the eye dropper or rectangular marquee and will not be able to use that tool. I can select the tool but instead of having the cursur change to that tool I simply have an arrow (and I cannot select anything).

I have done the preference reset by opening photoshop while holding down alt-ctrl-shift and i have also done a full reinstall of cs2. I am at my wits end. I have googled the problem and have seen others with similar problems but no real results at least for me.

I am a windows xp service pack 1 user, dual monitors, lots of ram, etc. The toolbar problem was there while still using CS but the file…new problem started when I installed CS2 and the toolbar problem pops up in CS2 within 5 minutes of working on a new file. Basically I am closing and opening the program every 5 minutes just to work on a file.

Please help me. I have been a supporter (and customer) since photoshop 6 and this is the first problem I have ever had with the program that I have not been able to fix.

Thanks,

chris

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
cbiehl
May 24, 2005
Was hoping someone was working on solving the problem. I will definitely report back any fixes that work if any are provided.

Thanks.
C
chrisjbirchall
May 24, 2005
Although you say lots of ram etc., it might be worth listing your specs, how much memory allocated to PS etc., just in case there is a clue lurking in the figures. Also what size files are you working on?

You mention you are still using XP service pack 1. Have you checked for viruses, spyware etc. (SP2 does a much better job of protecting your box).

Whilst on the subject: Do you have a virus auto protect program running? There have been reports of some versions affecting PS. If you have try temporarily disabling it (unplug your internet during this test) to see if it makes any difference.

Chris.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 24, 2005
Also: what videocard and driver version?
C
cbiehl
May 24, 2005
While I am not at my home computer right now I have to say I am a fanatic when it comes to viruses. I have norton everything running at all times, scan every night, keep the norton firewall, norton internet security going at all times, and update manually every day. I also do a spyware check each week. It is extremely unlikely it is one of those.

I also do not think it is running the norton in the background because i have been doing that for years and never had a problem until recently. I have updated my video card driver in the past 4 months when i purchased a new monitor (needed it to run dell widescreen so maybe that is it?)

I have a gig of RAM, the file sizes I work on can be small jpgs under 1 MB and the toolbar still stops working, not to mention that when i first open the program the file menu does not work when first click it to start a new file (see original message).

I have a nvidia card geforce 4600 and the drivers are what i cannot remember but i will check when i get home tonight.

what nvidia drivers should i be using to be able to run photoshop but also be able to reach a resolution of 1650 by 1080?

thanks for the replies. again, i will find out my driver number when i get home.

chris
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2005
I have a nvidia card geforce 4600

ping!

there’s been problems reported with those cards. adobe’s looking at it as we type.
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2005
try turning down video acceleration as a stop gap until they figure something out.
C
cbiehl
May 24, 2005
problems as in like my problems? i have been doing a lot of searching online and i read about photoshop freezing, but my program never freezes totally….it is just the toolbar (and therefore the tools) not working and the menubar not working.

dave – is there a place to go to read up on the problems others are having with my video card and photoshop?
DM
dave_milbut
May 24, 2005
problems as in like my problems?

yup.

is there a place to go to read up on the problems others are having with my video card and photoshop?

yup. πŸ™‚

do a forum search here for "4600". some of the threads are quite long though, so be warned.

the windup is (at least where we stand now) that adobe is investigating for at least the last week now and we’ve heard from an adobe engineer today (cryptically) that they may have found something but it’s too complicated to explain here and too soon yet to have a fix for. basically, we know. we’re working as fast as we can.

there are a couple other suspect cards too, the 4800(?) and some ati cards.
C
cbiehl
May 25, 2005
hi

well i checked my nvidia drivers and they are 66.92.

also noticed something weird. maybe someone else having the same problems as me could try this out.

when my toolbar stops working i am able to right click, choose new smart object via copy and my tool bar works again until i pick another new tool. doubt it helps but it is weird.

anyway, this is very disappointing. i am in love with the new version and it is almost impossible to work with since i have to close and reopen the program every 5 minutes or so just to be able to use my toolbar.

hope something can be done…fingers crossed.
C
cbiehl
May 25, 2005
What would be the next step for me? I know people have said "Adobe is working on it" but how do you know for sure? The software is not a small investment for me and it is hard to swallow having software that does not work the way it should. I would just like to hear it from the company officially that they are aware and are working on the problem.

I came to these forums because it is the adobe web site. Are there other places to go? I doubt I can get a refund on the software.

Thanks,

Chris
PG
Peter_G_Allinson__M.D.
May 25, 2005
Same problem occurs with me on the various machines that I use. Desktops, Dell p4 3.2 gHz with nvidia matrox 1400 1gb ram Alienware P4 3.8gHz, ATI x850, 1 gb ram
Voodoo laptop m360 ATI 9700 1gb ram
very frustrating. would like a fix.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2005
Adobe is working on the video card driver issues.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 25, 2005
Peter – WHAT problem are you seeing?

Also, NVidia and Matrox are different companies – which ones is in the Dell desktop?
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
May 26, 2005
Since there is no Matrox that I kow of with the 1400 model number, I guess that it is a nVidia Quadro 1400, Chris.

Craig Mullins also experienced problems with one of those cards.
L
LJacobs
May 26, 2005
Clone, healing brush, and other brushes do not work in PS7 or CS2. I have searched Adobe support and other sites for fixes. So far I have deleted temp files, reduced HW acceleration setting, installed latest video driver, disabled 2nd firewall, changed pagefile settings, reset preferences and reinstalled CS2. I’m also making sure I am working on a live layer and that tools are set at 100% opacity. Nothing helps. Here are my specs

Dell Dimension 4400
1.60 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra [Display adapter]
203.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Does anyone know what I can do? I’ve not contacted Adobe support but guess that is my next step. Will a new video card help?
C
cbiehl
May 26, 2005
LJacobs – do the tools work for you at least a little bit before they stop working or do they not work right at the get go? I am not sure if you read the first post, but with me the tools work and then all of a sudden they stop working.

I am in the same boat as you – about to call support but I have a sick feeling they will not be able to do anything other than suggest everything you just did (i have tried the same things as you).

You really should not have to get new video card to work on a 1 megabyte jpg file. It is a bit ridiculous. I wish there was some documentation coming directly from adobe letting people know when to expect a fix.

sigh πŸ™
L
LJacobs
May 26, 2005
Hi – I saw your post – mine don’t work at all. I can select them and even get the brush size and see the source cross hairs…but nothing happens when I try to use them. This also happens when I’m trying to paint on a mask. As it now stands I can’t do anything I need to do. I am calling Adobe as soon as I get a free minute.

Since it is both PS7 and CS2 it must be something with my pc.

Will post anything I learn that helps.

Linda
L
LJacobs
May 26, 2005
My problem is solved…I have a wacom graphire tablet hooked up as well as a regular PS2 mouse. All tools work with the wacom mouse/stylus and no tools work with the regular mouse. Can’t believe how much time I’ve spent on this…….

Linda
DM
dave_milbut
May 26, 2005
don’t leave the sylus or the wacom mouse on or near the pad when not in use.
AC
Andre_Cantelmo
May 27, 2005
My toolbar works for a bit and then stops working also. I’m running 1 gig of ram on my dell. In order to continue with my work I have to re boot photoshop cs2. I’m reluctant to make a toll phone call from the east coast and find out what you guys already know. That we must wait for a fix from Adobe. There is really nothing wrong with our machines, and some minor conflict is causing this.
CM
craig_mullins
May 27, 2005
Has Adobe been able to reproduce this bug? Seems a few people have it, on both ATI and nvidia cards. If any of us can provide more information…
C
cbiehl
Jun 5, 2005
Any new news on this? I recently have been HATING using my photoshop. I literally have to close and reopen the program every 5 minutes to work on any size file. Have posted to many many forums and no answers.

Very troubling. One good thing (in a weird way) is seeing that others are having the same problem. Not a good thing for Adobe though as word grows. I still preach the power of Photoshop. Now, if there was only a patch so I could get back to work πŸ™

Fingers crossed,

Chris
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jun 5, 2005
From other threads in this forum, I gathered that Adobe is working hand in hand with videocard manufacturers to help them fix their drivers.
CM
craig_mullins
Jun 5, 2005
Cbiehl,

We both have dual monitors and nvidia cards. They are different models, but try this:

Goto Properties/settings/advanced/[name of video card tab] to the popup Β“multi-display hardware acceleration:Β” The three choices are compatibility, performance, single. Choose compatibility.

This has fixed the problem so far for 2 days, a record for me. Have not noticed any change in the system at all, other than PS actually runs now.
CM
craig_mullins
Jun 5, 2005
I take it back, just happened again.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections