CS3 to CS4 P S upgrade printer/paper icc files not working – Help!

PN
Posted By
Peter_Norman
Mar 27, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have upgraded PS to CS4 AND upgraded Mac from PPC to Intel (10.5.6) on new MacPro. and using Epson 2400 printer. I rescued 3 important icc profiles and managed to load them onto new machine. When I go to print image the paper icc profile is visible and in the printer Menu my 3 presets are also visible. I allow PS to manage colors and disable color management. However the printed image is rubbish and it seems that the icc profile & preset have been ignored. I was able to print 1 image on my old PPC for it finally gave up on me – it was perfect.
I have got to produce approx 50 images by April 6th for my degree course – desperation is setting in!
Any advice out there as to where I should be looking for problem area. many thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Mar 27, 2009
Peter,

There are numerous existing threads dealing with printing issues under Leopard. Check them out, on the same page where you added this topic.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
Peter,

it seems that the icc profile & preset have been ignored

Is an ICC profile PPC/Intel- or Mac OS-specific?

Neil
PN
Peter_Norman
Mar 27, 2009
The profiles are Mac OSX specific and created on the PPC (10.4.11)
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 27, 2009
Peter,

But you’re now on an Intel machine — that may be the problem!

Neil
D
DYP
Mar 29, 2009
Profiles have nothing to do with PPC or Intel.

For those that don’t want to search. Here are 2.

Ramón G Castañeda, "Printing too dark in CS4" #1, 4 Dec 2008 2:32 pm </webx?14/0>

< http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3291 9&hl=>

And I am sure there is more.

The bottom line is that your printer driver needs to be properly updated for Leopard. And properly installed. Try reinstalling it.

Set it as the default printer. Check CUPS interface to make sure. <http://127.0.0.1:631/printers>

Must be registered in the ColorSync Utility. If not it is not properly installed.

If all this fails you can use the ColorSync Utility workaround. But it needs to be registered in the CU. None Leopard compliant driver should register in the CU when installed.

I have a Canon iPF9000 with a combination driver install that works properly in Leopard and a Epson 9600 that does not work properly in Leopard (I doubt there will ever be Leopard compatible drivers) but will print fine using the ColorSync Utility workaround.
R
Ram
Mar 29, 2009
Neil,

I doubt you can make profiles specific to the CPU. They’re not executable files, just descriptors of a color response.

Chris Cox will correct me if I’m wrong.
CC
Chris_Cox
Mar 29, 2009
Ramon got it right.
R
Ram
Mar 29, 2009
🙂 Thanks, Chris. 🙂
PN
Peter_Norman
Mar 29, 2009
Many thanks to all of you who have posted help.
I have borrowed an X-rite and re-profiled 2 of the papers I use. So far this has worked and I have managed to get back to the original print quality.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 29, 2009
Ramón,

Understood. Just wanted to be sure that no stone was left unturned.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections