Could I get some help on Frames/Framing????

LG
Posted By
Lorace_Graham
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’d so appreciate any tips you all may have.

I love Jody’s frames, but can’t always do what I intend to do with them and I know it’s my lack of insight that messes me up.

Forinstance…I’ll have a picture and wish to add a frame to the outside of it.

I choose Image/resize/canvas and add from .5 to 1.00 all around.

Then I select picture (not including the new canvas) and inverse my selection which gives me a double row of marching ants. (The ants are from the picture edges & the new canvas edges.) Now this is right where I want the frame to be.

But when I choose the frame, it goes instead around the original picture, ignoring the new canvas area. If I don’t do the selection process, it infringes upon part of my picture.

Please tell me where my thinking is wrong on this.

Thanks,
Lorace

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 13, 2004
Lorace,

I haven’t tried this, but infringing on part of the image is the way these things work. You can control the width by scaling the effects. Perhaps you can fake it out with just adding the extra, colored canvas around the outside, having it merged with the image layer, and then scale the effect to fit inside your extra canvas.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 13, 2004
Lorace, I tried what I think you were doing and got a similar result. I flattened my image and turned it into a regular layer so the styles would work. Then I increased the canvas size and it added transparent area around the outside. When I tried the layer framestyle, it ignored the transparent canvas and put the frame around the original picture. So I undid that, then selected the transparent area and filled it with color. Tried the layer frame style again, and this time it started at the outside of the expanded and filled canvas area and went toward the picture. It went a little to far, so I undid it again, added some more canvas, filled it with color and reapplied the frame style. Finally got it!

Chuck
PD
Pete_D
Feb 13, 2004
Then I select picture (not including the new canvas) and inverse my
selection which gives me a double row of marching ants. (The ants are from the picture edges & the new canvas edges.) Now this is right where I want the frame to be.

Lorace,

If you are using frames from image effects don’t "select" or inverse. (have no ants or selection line).

A nice effect on frames is to apply a frame and then crop off 1/3 of it, then resize canvas adding 1/4 inch and then apply the same frame again like this:

http://home.comcast.net/~peted1/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.htm l-MerchantID-216469-Publish-t-makestatic-true-skip-20.html

Can add additional frame effects by just adding more canvas.

Pete
LG
Lorace_Graham
Feb 13, 2004
I knew I’d get helped if I asked on here. Thanks, everyone.

Nancy, thank you, but I’m not sure what you mean about scaling the effects. I think there’s a step there that I’m not familiar with.

Chuck, Ah, thanks. I could see just what you meant and what you did, and realize that I haven’t been merging or flattening before trying to apply the frame. I can see how filling the transparency, changes it – In fact, I have done that with success, but didn’t realize the WHY of it. Does that make sense?

Pete: That’s great and your reply was a great help, and your pictures are awesome. You must have known I collect and love lighthouses! LOL.

Can I safely say this is a frameup?

Thanks,
Lorace
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 13, 2004
Lorace, hi, yes if you want to apply a frame to your image without losing any of your image go to toolbar>image>resize>canvas size and extend the canvas for as large as you want the frame to be. this will give you transparency around the image( you might have to experiment a little with the pixel expansion..I can’t tell you exactly how many pixels to add because it depends on the resolution of your image). Then grab the paint bucket tool and dump a color into the transparency and then apply the frame ( there are other ways but this is a simple approach ). My frames can be made larger/wider or smaller/narrower by going to toolbar>layer>layer styles>scale effects. Use the percentage slider to make them smaller or larger. Let me know if you need more help.
LG
Lorace_Graham
Feb 14, 2004
Thanks, Jodi. Forgive me for spelling it with a "Y" before. My daughter is a Jeni and I thought I was being influenced by her spelling and that yours wasn’t with the "i" ending. (long enuf explanation?)

That was just what I needed and was what Nancy told me and I didn’t quite understand. " larger/wider or smaller/narrower by going to toolbar>layer>layer styles>scale effects."

That’s the step I was missing. I truly do love your frames and find myself choosing only from them.

I think I’m set now. Appreciate all the help.

Lorace
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
great Lorace, glad you got it right. Thanks for the use of my frames. One of these days I’ll get some more done. Oh, my name as always been spelled wrong…even on my birth certificate :)…truth !
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 14, 2004
Hi Jodi, I have been using your great frames since the day you gave them to us, they are wonderful. But I never knew how to scale them, alter their width, until today! I just had to change the size of the pictures before, I learn something new here every single day!
Thank you!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
Jane, i’m glad you got that sorted. I probably did not use a wordpad copy/paste text when i sent you the styles….which stated all that stuff about scale effects. I was receiving so much mail for the styles that it was easier to already have my comments ready to go. Anyways, glad you know now…I couldn’t imagine how you were getting by without that 😉
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 14, 2004
It was kind of difficult, I had to change the size of the photos, and some I couldn’t ever do correctly.
And I did learn in class how to hand make a frame, takes me about 20 minutes to do one though. Here are the 2 which came out OK, our dog and our grandson, Max.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/21900182>
<http://www.pbase.com/image/21901617>

But now, wow!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
Jane, those are spectacular !!!! Beautiful !!! Yes, you don’t need my frames…nobady really does…these are much nicer. I used to make all my own in fun ways like that ( yours are better ) but then I got spoiled making boring style frames in Photoshop. They are just great jane..thanks for sharing !
J
jhjl1
Feb 14, 2004
I like your frames and that grandson of yours is very handsome. Having been to your PBase site several times I did want to make one comment and I am hoping not to offend you as it is a personal taste matter. I find the tiled background very distracting and it seems to take away from otherwise nice graphics and photos. My eyes are always led out of the graphic and into the background. Just one opinion.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 14, 2004
Hi Jim, My family says the same thing. I was learning how to make backgrounds and put them into pbase.
Just recently I learned how to make seamless tiles using EyeCandy. I haven’t put any on pbase yet, but thank you for giving me the incentive that will speed me up to do this. Edit, Forgot to mention that one of the wonderful things about this forum, is that you all do make recommendations and suggestions for us beginners, and that helps us learn all the faster.
When I get my website going, (I am learning GoLive 6), then I will be able to use some really nice subtle ones.
But for now, I have some plain ones that I should put into the frame part. Yeah, another reason not to start Turbo Tax today!
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 14, 2004
Hi Jim, I changed it and it sure looks better!
<http://www.pbase.com/image/21996659>
Now that I am a bit more confident, I will do a lot more. Thank you! You all here are wonderful!
Jane
J
jhjl1
Feb 14, 2004
It looks fantastic, nice shot and frame. I am so glad you took my comment in the spirit it was intended, I am very wary of making any comment that could be misconstrued as negative.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
LG
Lorace_Graham
Feb 14, 2004
Jane, Your frames – they are beautiful! And Muffin and Max, too – I don’t know which one is cuter. lol.

Jodi, thanks for the reply. Birth Ctf. spelled wrong? What a blast. At least YOU know who you are!

Jane, what class did you take to learn to make frames? I swear this program just keeps on getting more and more fascinating.

Lorace
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 14, 2004
Hi Lorace, This was in the PSE ‘From the Ground up’ class. I think I’m not supposed to mention a school here on a forum, I’m not sure what the rules are on this.?
If its OK, I will post the URLs here, but if not, just e-mail me at and I will give you all the links and info.
Jane

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections