MN
Posted By
Mike_Nittinger
Jul 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Long story short – someone copied a *huge* library of Mac files from one Mac volume to another, but used a PC to do it, and all of the files’ resource forks were lost as a result.

Most of them I can get by with fine without (most have extensions) but what’s killing me is the lack of fast previews in PS’ File Browser. The bulk of the files are large (50+ MB) and many are extremely large (400+ MB). There are literally thousands of images, sorted into hundreds of folders and subfolders. The file organization needs to remain intact.

Is there a way to automate the recreation of thumbnails for these files? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 14, 2004
Put all the folders in an enclosing folder, point the File browser at the enclosing folder, make sure that the "Do not process files larger than" FB Preference is set the way you want, choose "Build Cache for Subfolders" from the FB’s File menu, and let the computer chew on them overnight.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Jul 14, 2004
Thank you, Bruce. Am I correct in thinking this will build a local cache for the images? If so, is there any way to make it server resident? The object here is to fix/regenerate the thumbnails at the source – there are 40 or 50 Mac users here that it would be accessing it.

Generating caches available on each machine would prove very time consuming and very bulky in terms of redundant data. I did a small sample folder group and ended up with ~40 MB of cache – by my estimation I’d end up with something like 1.8 G of cache – and that’s if PS doesn’t begin purging somewhere along the line.
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 15, 2004
–>Am I correct in thinking this will build a local cache for the images?

Yes.

–>If so, is there any way to make it server resident?

All the caches are local—the master "live cache" is in Users/you/Library/Application Support/Adobe/File Browser/Photoshop CS, so it’s only accessible for that user. If you want clients to see flags, rotates, and thumbnails, you need to build a local cache for each folder on the server, and either never change anything in the folder, or make sure that the cache for that folder is exported any time you do change anything.

Did someone from Adobe claim that this scenario is rational? I suspect that you may be exceeding the design goals for this version of the File Browser…
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Jul 15, 2004
Actually, I think I might have misstated (or just unclearly) my goal in my first post. When FB opens a folder containing files that have Mac icons, they’re what displays immediately, while FB builds (and caches) higher res previews of each image one by one.

When my coworker used the PC to copy the files from place to place, he killed the resource forks on each file, so now all that displays immediately is a generic icon. Basically, I’d be happy with rebuilding the OSX icons for them all, which in essence acts as a sufficient preview.

I hope I’m explaining my situation a little better. Thanks again for your help, Bruce!
BF
Bruce_Fraser
Jul 15, 2004
Mike,

Raws don’t have resource forks. I’m 99% sure that the initial thumbnails displayed are the camera thumbnails—from Canon cameras they’re .THM files. So the simplest fix may be to just locate the original thumbnails and copy them to the server.
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Jul 15, 2004
The files at issue are an archive of images – the file types are all over the place – a varied mix of PSD, JPG, EPS (both AI and PS), TIF, AI and smaller numbers of many other file types.

When PS saves an image, it makes a custom icon for it which amounts to a preview of the image itself. The icon is what displays initially in FB, while it builds higher res previews of each image and caches them. This is what was lost when our coworker moved the files.

I believe an action that does nothing to the image but open it and resave it as it’s original file type would do the trick (though I’d prefer not changing the modification date if I can avoid it). I’ve experiemented a little with this, and will investigate it further if no other solution can be found.
RL
Ronald_Lanham
Jul 15, 2004
Mike

If it was a local database QuickImageCM <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19253> (click for freeware) would work in replacing thumbnails. But I’ve never tried it for images on a server.
HT
Harry_Turner
Jul 19, 2004
I am following this with interest, my problem is similar. When I add information to the fields in the metadata palette in FB and apply, my image preview is also replaced by the generic icon.

So far the only way I have been able to regain the image preview is to, as you say, resave the image. I created an action – ‘Icon’, that applies the USM to the smallest setting possible then closes and saves the image, a process that I would rather not undertake. I am following this thread with interest
MN
Mike_Nittinger
Jul 21, 2004
QuickImageCM doesn’t even appear to handle PS .eps files. I’m still looking for a solution (as is Harry, it appears!)

Alternatively, is there somewhere else I might try posting?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections