JG
Posted By
Jeff_Gillispie
Dec 23, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My PSD files used to be visible as thumbnails now they are shown just as PSD files with no preview pic. I have searched the older topics and couldnt find an answer. I am using CS2 with Vista Ultimate 64bit. Thanks in advance.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JJ
John Joslin
Dec 23, 2008
The built-in forum search is pretty useless.

If you googlit you’ll be deluged with hits.
H
Ho
Dec 23, 2008
Copy text between dashed lines to notepad and save as Install.reg

Right click on the resulting file and choose Merge.

You MUST have the psicon.dll present on your system and in the proper location (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell\)
——————
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio n\SharedDLLs] "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shell ex]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shell ex\IconHandler] @="{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shell ex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shell ex\PropertySheetHandlers\PSDPage] @="{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B 4D}] @="Photoshop Icon Handler"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B 4D}\InProcServer32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B 4D}\MiscStatus] "IconBits"="1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11 d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}] @="Photoshop Icon Handler"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11 d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}\InProcServer32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11 d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}\MiscStatus] "IconBits"="1"
——————

To UNDO, copy text beween dashed lines, save as Uninstall.reg, blah blah blah.

——————
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio n\SharedDLLs] "C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shel lex\PropertySheetHandlers\PSDPage] @="{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shel lex\PropertySheetHandlers]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shel lex\IconHandler] @="{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shel lex]

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69 B4D}\MiscStatus] "IconBits"="1"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69 B4D}\InProcServer32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-11d1-819A-00C04FB69 B4D}] @="Photoshop Icon Handler"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-1 1d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}\MiscStatus] "IconBits"="1"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-1 1d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}\InProcServer32] @="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\Adobe\\Shell\\psicon.dll" "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{0B6DC6EE-C4FD-1 1d1-819A-00C04FB69B4D}] @="Photoshop Icon Handler"
——————
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 23, 2008
Usual caveats apply.

Bob
H
Ho
Dec 23, 2008
Usual caveats apply.

Add to the usual caveats that I DO NOT provide support for the preceding reg hack. Proceed at your own risk. Back up your system. Always wear a condom.
JW
John_Waller
Dec 26, 2008
RB
Robert_Barnett
Dec 26, 2008
Is there some reason why at least for Vista and XP (with an update that Microsoft released) Adobe couldn’t make a PSD codec? They have a beta one for DNG, I would think that they should be able to do one for PSD.

Robert
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 26, 2008
Could they? I’m sure they could.

Is it worth it? IMO, no. I’m guessing we’re going to wind up disagreeing on that point. <g>

Bob
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 26, 2008
Hmmm, I don’t even have the folder:
(C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell\)
H
Ho
Dec 26, 2008
New>Folder>[Folder Name] 🙂
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, but where do I find the dll’s? Just adding and naming the folder?

I notice that in the uninstall, you have a registry entry that installs that dll. (?)
DM
dave_milbut
Dec 26, 2008
you probably wouldn’t unless you still have version 7 installed…
H
Ho
Dec 26, 2008
Email me, Larry.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks, Ho. That worked. 🙂
H
Ho
Dec 26, 2008
Merry Christmas!
G
Gener
Jan 23, 2009
Thanks Ho! I had decided to ditch PS 7 and was wondering what happened to my ps thumbnails. I grabbed the shell folder from a backup,ran your install script and all went well in Vista.

Maybe I should heed those Common files uninstall warnings 😮
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 23, 2009
The warnings you should heed are the ones about using those DLLs. They were removed for a reason.

Bob
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
‘They were removed for a reason…’ so you’ll use Bridge, not Windows Explorer.
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 23, 2009
Is that a question or a statement, Bart?

I’m a huge fan of Bridge. Is it perfect, no? But it’s gotten better and better with each release.

Bob
H
Ho
Jan 23, 2009
it’s gotten better and better with each release.

Well, considering its starting point, it just about had to. It’s still cumbersome to fire it up if all you’re doing is selecting a few files to open. It’s an awkward file management tool. It still falls short of being a DAM solution.

So, viva la thumbnails in Explorer.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
That is a statement. Adobe created this viewer, that barely relies on the OS, for it’s own products .

I didn’t like Bridge 3, it was really flakey, so I used Bridge 2 until I got the CS4 Master Collection. It now works as it should.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 23, 2009
I think if they just mimicked as much of explorer’s navigation styles and methodology to manipulating files and folders, all complaints would go away.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 23, 2009
mimicked as much of explorer’s navigation styles and methodology

I have created a Workspace for Bridge which does just that.

However, while it is fine for dealing with image files in its CS4 incarnation, and has a lot of very useful features, Bridge is still not an Explorer replacement.

The recent exchange between Adobe and Microsoft engineers on this very forum has convinced me that it is not "All Microsoft’s fault".
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 23, 2009
Bridge is still not an Explorer replacement.

it needs to be if it wants full adoption. or at least you need to be able to maneuver around files and folders like you can in explorer.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
I don’t see it as an Explorer replacement, it is a deluxe image viewer for working with Adobe products. I still use Explorer for other tasks.
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 23, 2009
I like it and use it too, i’m just saying it would have 100% photoshop user adoption if you could move around it as easily as you can in explorer.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
That is true, I also use PowerDesk, a way more powerful version of Explorer.
H
Ho
Jan 23, 2009
If you like PowerDesk, try Dopus (Directory Opus). As I recall, PD hasn’t been updated in ages.
DM
Derrick Moore
Jan 23, 2009
Ho, I just downloaded the trial of Directory Opus 9. At first glance it looks like a very nice program and it shows PSD thumbnails. Only problem is the price – roughly $55 US for a single license, $85 for a 2 computer license.
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
Powerdesk does show PSD thumbs if it was saved with a composite. Still for image work, it is Bridge for me, for down & dirty directory work, it is Explorer, for more advanced work like directory comparisons, it is PowerDesk.

By the way, PowerDesk comes with a three seat license as well as System Suite 9 which I have been using for over a decade now.
G
Gener
Jan 23, 2009
The warnings you should heed are the ones about using those DLLs. They were removed for a reason.

In the case of psicon.dll,what was the problem?
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 23, 2009
Corrupted files!
H
Ho
Jan 23, 2009
Only problem is the price – roughly $55 US for a single license

It’s a little pricey, but it’s very feature rich. As I recall, I got a discount on the price but I’m not sure why or how.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 23, 2009
The problem with psicon.dll is in the Microsoft supplied APIs that it uses – they sometimes leave the file open and in-use when it should not be. This caused many customers to fail when saving files because "the file is open or in-use" (ie: the shell extension tried to draw an icon for the file and left the file open). The only solution was to save to a new file, or reboot the machine and unlock the file. Unfortunately, the Microsoft API was the fault, and it could not be fixed from within the the psicon.dll shell extension itself. As a result, Adobe had to discontinue that shell extension (and several like it) to resolve the customer problems.
RH
Robert_H_Jones
Jan 23, 2009
Chris, any chance Adobe will provide a PSD codec for us Vista users?

I do use Bridge, Explorer is not the issue. The issue is that while in Photoshop, the various file dialogs do not show PSD thumbnails. A PSD codec would definitely be welcome.
G
Gener
Jan 24, 2009
Chris,I have not experienced file-lock issues considering I had that dll in there for a while,but I will make a note of it. Most sites and programs bring up Explorer,and it is handy to see a thumbnail of a psd before I select it. I notice Vista can display .jpg,png,pdf,and tif thumbs,so maybe MS can fix this.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jan 24, 2009
Normally, Photoshop’s file open dialog should be showing you a preview for any file type that Photoshop can open. I’m not sure why you aren’t seeing the previews.
JJ
John Joslin
Jan 24, 2009
It shows a preview of the selected file at the bottom of the Open dialog, but it still shows generic icons in the main window of the open dialog, which is where you need it to see what you are looking for.

This cannot be an insurmountable problem. 🙁
H
Ho
Jan 24, 2009
This cannot be an insurmountable problem.

No, and the tone of the MS guy who posted in the forums a few weeks ago made it sound as though MS was willing to work with Adobe in sorting this out. Assuming that Adobe wants to sort it out…
BC
Bart_Cross
Jan 24, 2009
CC: Same as JJ.
P
PECourtejoie
Feb 11, 2009
Any status update?
TO
Terrilyn_ONeil
Feb 13, 2009
Yes please! I am a professional photographer who works with psd files all day long and this has caused serious set backs with my workflow and production time.
K
KatWoman
Feb 13, 2009
it is odd for a software to regress in ease of use and file sharing rather than to progress

that earlier versions like 4-7 had the capability for this proves it can be done
to remove it from CS and forward is a continual annoyance & ultimate diservice and disrespect to PC users

the workarounds (registry tweaks psicon.dll) were operational in CS, although unsupported I never has one problem
however CS3 this tweak does not work
I installed a third party program for thumbnails but it continually crashed Explorer
so now we pay for a very expensive program with built in annoyance I HATE organizing files without seeing the thumbnails

RANT OVER
D
Dave
Feb 13, 2009
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:48:14 -0800,
wrote:

Yes please! I am a professional photographer who works with psd files all day long and this has caused serious set backs with my workflow and production time.

Who the damn are you talking to?
There is nothing professional about your way of using USENET.
SB
Sandy Birrell
Feb 13, 2009
Dave wrote:
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:48:14 -0800,
wrote:

Who the damn are you talking to?
There is nothing professional about your way of using USENET.

He isn’t, using USENET that is 🙂

He is posting in Adobbe Forums, we can see their posts but they can’t see ours. Look at the user name it has @adobeforums.com on the end, that is how you can tell.

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy

E-Mail:-
Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019 Fishing Wild at http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/
H
Ho
Feb 14, 2009
In the reg file posted above, all instances of .9 must be changed to .10 in order for the patch to work with CS3. Thus,

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.9\shell ex]

becomes

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Photoshop.Image.10\shel lex]

This is easily accomplished with the Replace function in Notepad.
DC
David_C._Blake
Feb 25, 2009
This is far from insurmountable.

Does anyone have a Photoshop 4.0 PSD with a thumbnail they’d be willing to share with me, or perhaps know of where I might find one?

If you can provide one of these, post a link here or contact customer-service at ardfry.com

Teaser screenshots to follow.

David
H
Ho
Feb 25, 2009
photoshop 4.0?
DC
David_C._Blake
Feb 25, 2009
photoshop 4.0?

The channels in thumbnail resources in 4.0 files are in BGR order. 5.0 and later have the channels in RGB order. For completeness, I’d like a 4.0 file to test with. Surely someone has one of these.

David
H
Ho
Feb 26, 2009
I can give you a Photoshop 4.0 file, but the thumbnail is generated at the OS level (?) so I’m not quite sure what you need.
DC
David_C._Blake
Feb 26, 2009
Image Resources are the metadata and supporting bits of information that are included in the file. Starting with Photoshop 4.0, there is a chunk of metadata that is the thumbnail resource. This is provided so that applications need not re-create all of Photoshop in order to render a small version of the image so that it can be shown in Explorer/Finder and other thumbnail browsers.

I am writing the OS level pieces that parse the file, decode the thumbnail resource, and hand the bitmap off to Windows. We have written commercial WIC codecs for DNG, CR2, and NEF in 64 bit and 32 bit flavors. We have received many requests from our customers to develop a codec for PSD, specifically to support TIFF scans that are then converted to PSD with added XMP/EXIF/IPTC info.
I have thumbnails working for Vista. I’ve tested it with Photoshop Elements 4.0, CS, and CS3 PSD files from both PC and Mac. These all use the PS 5.0 and later thumbnail resource. If you could email me the PS 4.0 file, then I can let you know if it has what I need.

The address is customer-service at ardfry.com

David
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
who’s "we" david, if you don’t mind me asking… do you work for adobe? thumbnails in explorer again would be cool!
H
Ho
Feb 26, 2009
OK, file sent. I will gladly accept a complementary codec pack for my invaluable contribution. 🙂
DC
David_C._Blake
Feb 26, 2009
who’s "we"

I don’t work for Adobe.

Ken Silverman (of BUILD fame) and I co-founded Ardfry Imaging, LLC, a small software company that specializes in imaging and graphics.

Our website is here: <http://www.ardfry.com>

David
DM
dave_milbut
Feb 26, 2009
ah, ok. cool. thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections