C
Posted By
coreylee
Aug 14, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Just upgraded a workstation in my office, and the new 64 bit system doesn’t show PDS thumbnails in the windows explorer.

We used the psicon.dll before, but it doesn’t work on the 64 bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CoreyLee

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

F
Freeagent
Aug 14, 2008
We used the psicon.dll before, but it doesn’t work on the 64 bit

That’s it, and no way around it. BTW, that .dll is risky even when it does work: suddenly you won’t be able to save your files because they are "already in use" or something.

You have to use Bridge.

Personally I’m thinking of firing up Image Processor and convert all my thousands of .psd’s to tif, just so that I can see them in Explorer. Bridge is great as a file browser and organizer, but for general housekeeping I still think Explorer is more handy. But until we get the 64-bit DNG codec to see DNG’s in Explorer as well, there’s no point.
S
Silkrooster
Aug 14, 2008
If you do decide to do some converting. You may want to consider just generating small jpg thumbnails. That way they don’t take up much diskspace. They have the same name except the extension. And they are more than big enough to see in explorer.
Unless you have another use for the tiffs that is.
F
Freeagent
Aug 14, 2008
Good tip, Silkrooster. No, I don’t have any other use for the tiffs, I just need to see what’s there.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 14, 2008
I have been trying to get comfortable with Bridge since it came out and, although I’m not one of those unfortunates who has endless problems with it, it is just too clunky for basic file management compared with good old Windows Explorer.

OK, for processing it’s mighty powerful but I just wish they hadn’t loaded the interface down with so much Flash and Scripting. 🙁
F
Freeagent
Aug 14, 2008
too clunky for basic file management

That’s just it. For example, I can’t move a bunch of images to a new folder without having Version Cue enabled – or so it tells me – and I don’t want that.

They say the problem is the way Windows deals with the psicon.dll and so it’s a Microsoft problem. Not being a computer engineer that never made any sense to me – like fitting a square wheel to a car and then saying sorry, but the car is having certain problems dealing with that wheel and it’ll just have to run on three wheels.

Perhaps someone who knows this stuff could explain it? I’m just curious, it would be nice to know there’s a real reason for it.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 14, 2008
It is indicative of the general apathy towards the user that, whoever’s fault it is, Windows and Photoshop have both been through several major updates since the problem came to light and the problem still hasn’t been dealt with.

Maybe Windows 5 and CS4? (Not really 😉 )

BTW you don’t need Version Cue for that operation.
F
Freeagent
Aug 14, 2008
you don’t need Version Cue for that operation

Right-click and Move To tells me I have to update Version Cue. I don’t see why I should do that since it’s disabled and will stay that way.

Drag and drop works, but that’s no help if the destination folder is somewhere else.

Cut and Paste works also, but that means I have to navigate to that folder within Bridge.

Until now I’ve just used the workaround of "Reveal in Explorer", so that even if I don’t see the thumbnails, I know I’m in the right place.

I bet someone’s going to tell me something embarrassingly obvious now… 8)
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 14, 2008
Right-click and Move To …

It works on local drives without Version Cue enabled. (I don’t use the network for my work.)
F
Freeagent
Aug 14, 2008
Hmmm…all local, not on network.

Maybe I’ll just update the thing and see if that makes Bridge happy. Anyway, thanks for trying to help, John.
F
Freeagent
Aug 16, 2008
Just to wrap this up:

I updated Version Cue client to 3.10 and now it’s working as advertised. Apparently this is a component that Bridge needs to be fully functional, and has nothing to do with whether Version Cue is enabled as such. So you were right, John.
C
coreylee
Aug 16, 2008
Thanks to everyone for giving all the info. I didn’t mention in the original post that in our office we also use Picassa for our library searches, which works pretty well, although it’s not perfect.

For my purposes, I’m trying converting my folder of template files to .TIFs to see if that works for me.

Thanks again, and I hope that Adobe and/or Microsoft work this annoying problem out.

C.
JJ
John Joslin
Aug 16, 2008
now it’s working as advertised.

🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections