Photoshop crashing…help!

Posted By
3rdspace
Jul 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Within the last week PS7.0 has been crashing, saying that "there is not enough RAM to open the Color Book." What is this and why would it start to say this when I havn’t knowingly changed a thing???
I run a dual 2 Gb G5 with a 1 Gb of RAM, OS 10.3.4 (recent update) I’ve configured the memory from 50% – 90% and it will still happen. It happens when I transform multiple layers at the same time, it happens when I’m trying to open files. It seems only larger file are effected so far, ones more than 30 Mb about.
It gives me the error message and then crashes!
I’ve repaired permissions and it still happens
I’ve also run the 7.0.1 update and it still happens to this version. Additionally I’ve just reset the colors swatches and so on, BUT they are .aco and are specific to swatches, and .acb is specific to the color books. (PMS etc)
My error message is specific to the color books rather than swatches… anyone shed some light fo me pls?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 9, 2004
I had a problem like this and it was fixed by replacing the RAM.

You might take the machine in for a diagnostic.
SG
Sylvain_Gingras
Jul 10, 2004
Or not enough scratch disk space!
3rdspace
Jul 10, 2004
I have 2 hard drives, and 1 Gb of Ram so I don’t think it’s the scratch disks? – could be wroong though.
R
Ram
Jul 10, 2004
How much free disk space is left on the hard drives, both in absolute terms and in terms of %?
R
Ram
Jul 10, 2004
Don’t give Photoshop 90% of available memory. Quite the contrary, set it back to around 65% and see if that helps. You might be starving the OS.
B
Buko
Jul 10, 2004
could be a font issue.
R
Ram
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, very likely a bad or duplicative font.
3rdspace
Jul 11, 2004
I’m running only 55% on the memory – not at 90%, I set it high for a couple of days to see if there was any difference.
As for the hard drives I have at around 50% available on each, around 130Gb in total. It might be the fonts or maybe bad ram??
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 11, 2004
I would bet on bad or mismatched RAM — particularly as the crashing seems to happen when you are working on large files or doing particularly memory-intensive tasks.

Check that your RAM is properly seated and, if you still have trouble, remove all but two sticks of RAM and test it by adding one pair at a time.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 11, 2004
Following the direction of Ann’s comments, remember that Photoshop is about as tough a session you are likely to put your computer through. Like it or not, chances are good that if there is anything marginally wrong with your computer, Photoshop will find it for you.

Back to RAM. Don’t go cheap or generic on RAM. You already spent $$$$ for your fast Mac to run Photoshop. It makes no sense to now go cheap and try to save $100 with cheap/generic RAM just because it fits in the slot and your computer boots up. What kind of savings is that if it corrupts even a single file?

All RAM characteristics must be specifically matched to Apple’s specs for your computer model to be assured of avoiding memory-based file errors. This doesn’t mean you have to pay the premium prices at the Apple store. There are other venues and several manufacturers who can provide good RAM for your machine at a reasonable price.

Just use common sense with RAM purchases. And hard drive purchases. Cables. DVD-burners. Etc.

Neil
3rdspace
Jul 11, 2004
OK FYI – my external drive and burner are LaCie, and I got my RAM from Ramjet, who are an authorized Apple reseller. I guess that there RAM must be up to Apple specs, to be authorixed by them??
Needless to say it does sound like a RAM issue, but what get’s me is that some days a file will open no probs and the next it will crash. Surely there would be a consistancy with a bad stick?
B
Buko
Jul 11, 2004
Surely there would be a consistancy with a bad stick?

not necessarily if its bad. the changes in temperature from when you turn on to when things heat up could be all the difference in the world.

Also even Apples RAM can be bad from the factory among other things.
GB
g_ballard
Jul 11, 2004
Surely there would be a consistancy with a bad stick?

Only if you are lucky…
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 11, 2004
Do a process of elimination with your RAM modules, and see how/if your files are corrupted.

Neil
C
CLensch
Jul 19, 2004
I had the same problem. I replaced the default swatches with a set of color swatches I created years ago for my work. I reset the swatches and the problem seems to have vanished…now all I have to do is recreate a new batch of swatches!
L
Larryr544
Jul 19, 2004
I had a simular problem. I tried everything, swaped every piece of hardware and software I could. I spent almost a year trying to fix it. It was very intermittent like you describe. I finally got a new Mac (the old one was a PowerMac G3) and everything is really solid now! I’ve now got a dual 1GHZ G4.
CC
chip_calverley
Jul 28, 2004
would it be possible for you to e-mail me your color swatches that worked / fixed this problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections