DG
Posted By
Dave_Gardiner
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m currently using Mac OSX 10.3.4 & PS/CS, when I open CS and try to access an image through the "File<Open" menu, the program crashes. A dialogue box comes up asking me if I want to submit a report to Apple, or cancel. Does anyone know what is going on here, more importantly how to fix this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Sincerely,

Dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Jul 23, 2004
Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
DG
Dave_Gardiner
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks, I usually do run disk utility before and after upgrade/install, etc, as well as run MacJanitor on a daily basis. Not sure if you’re familiar with MacJanitor, but does pretty much the same as Cocktail.

I’ll try and reinstall the program again, after checking permissions for the umph time. Also use Disk Warrior, but it hasn’t come up with anything. I don’t usually access my images this way, and if I remember correctly I had the same problem on my PB. Can’t remember how I fixed it, short term memory always the first to go.

Anyway, thank you for the helpful hints & tips. Hopefully, I’ll get this thing fixed before too long.
Dave
GB
g_ballard
Jul 23, 2004
Make sure you trash the preferences and rule out the User account:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
DG
Dave_Gardiner
Jul 23, 2004
g ballard,

You’re the best. I got things running with the first round. I have no idea how this got messed up, but as things are back to normal I can’t complain.

Thank you,

Dave
RM
Rick_Morton
Jul 23, 2004
Can you help me?

I’m running a new G5 dual 2.0. with 1.5 gigs ram.
I regularly get kernel panic crashes… ONLY in Photoshop (CS). This happens after I’ve been using the program for a short while, and usually when I’m doing something with a tool… like last night, I was in the Liquid filter, pushing pixels. Sometimes I’ll be simply painting or using the magic wand. Boom.. the gray window slowly moves down from the top of the screen saying "you have to restart your computer". So frustrating.
First I removed the additional DIMMS I had put in, thinking I might be hitting bad memory. Still crashed eventually, so I put it back in. I suppose it could be the original ram… didn’t try that. Anyway. i’ve re-installed Photoshop a few days ago, but crashed again last night. This is the only program that kernel panics. Any suggestions? Ideas?
Thanks…

Rick
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Test the original RAM too — it could well be bad.

Also disconnect any non-original hardware (hubs, routers, SCSI and other non-Apple cards etc.) and check all internal connections.
RM
Rick_Morton
Jul 23, 2004
Thanks.
Wouldn’t these things cause problems PERIOD?
Why only after a while… and only with Photoshop?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 23, 2004
Bad or incompatible hardware causes Kernel Panics but because it apparently happens only with Photoshop, I would suspect bad RAM in your case although a bad HD or cables could also cause this.

Try running DiskWarrior too.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2004
Photoshop can be very taxing on a computer and its resources: RAM, hard drives, connections, cables, CPU, etc. Stuff that wouldn’t cause a hiccup for a Word file can knock out a Photoshop file. Other problems that can bring down a computer include damaged or duplicate fonts or incompatible (such as outdated) software or software conflicts.

Neil
LH
Laura_Hickle
Jul 28, 2004
I’ve got PS CS running in OS 10.2.8, and I’ve been working away for several hours on a bunch of photos. All of a sudden, on one specific photo, PS started crashing. All I was doing was trying to create a snapshot. When I restarted PS, and tried the same thing with the same photo, it crashed again. What gives?

I’m going to try restarting the machine to see if that helps. I wonder if the fact that I’ve been doing heavy PS work for two hours straight on a big pile of pictures could bog it down …

EDIT – I restarted, and was able to finish the work on that particular picture this time … but two photos later, I ran into the same crash. No dialog box, nothing. Once again I was using the snapshot button.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
Laura,

The first thing to do is trash your Photoshop preferences before launching Photoshop again.

From the online Help:

To restore all preferences to their default settings:

Do one of the following:
* Press and hold Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop or ImageReady. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. * In Mac OS, open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files will be created the next time you start Photoshop or ImageReady.

Then:

Try Repairing Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.

I know it sounds like OS X voodoo, and it is; but it fixes and prevents a bunch of problems.

Additionally, if your machine does not run 24/7 so that it runs the daily, weekly and monthly Cron Scripts in the middle of the night as intended, run Cocktail (shareware) as well.
LH
Laura_Hickle
Jul 28, 2004
I’ve used the shareware Cronnix to reset my maintenance routine times to run while I’m off at supper, so hopefully they should be up-to-date. I haven’t repaired permissions in awhile though, so I should probably do that.

When I trash the Photoshop preferences, will I lose my saved Workspace?
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
You’ll lose all your settings, but if you have saved your Work Space, you can just reload it in half a second.

As long as you are in Apple’s Disk Utility, run Verify Disk too (before Repair Permissions). If it finds something wrong, you’ll have to boot off the original CD and Repair Disk from the Disk Utility on the CD. You can’t Repair Disk while booted off your hard drive.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
And remember:

Repair Permissions (with Apple’s Disk Utility) BEFORE and AFTER any system upgrade as well as BEFORE and AFTER installing any software that uses an installer.
LH
Laura_Hickle
Jul 28, 2004
Thanks for your quick reply, Ramón! I’ll give that a try.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2004
You’re welcome, Laura. Hope you solve your problem.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections