DR
Posted By
David_R_Hull
Jan 12, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently installed PSCS4 and have just started using it. I am having trouble with the program crashing under Windows XP (SP3) on a 3.2 GHz, P4 single core machine e/w 2G RAM. I get the following error message:

"The instruction at "0x262740db" referenced memory at 0xffce8b95". The memory could not be "read".

Click on "OK" to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

CS3, Lightroom and everything else runs fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
gowanoh
Jan 12, 2009
This suggests two programs are trying to write to the same place in memory. Believe it or not this can be due to a problem with the video driver, hence try reinstalling it.
M
Mylenium
Jan 12, 2009
It’s certainly related to your P4. Sounds like a SSE compatibility issue. I would dig into the BIOS and see if there is any setting to make it behave better. Could also be your graphics card, of course…

Mylenium
EH
Expert_Here
Jan 12, 2009
Graphic cards die in a blaze a glory, and do not pop a GPF msgbox.

This is either a programming error (a memory address way up at the end of the address space is not for mere appls) that surfaced, or memory failed (i.e., the address reached should have been some other address, but when the memory was read for the address, the wrong address/data was provided). It could also just be cosmic rays, man, like, that’ll do it every time if you don’t have foil around your machine, man. I know these things, I am, after all

Expert Here
DM
dave_milbut
Jan 12, 2009
omg! that actually made sense! 🙂
DR
David_R_Hull
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks for the advice. I updated my graphics driver and the problem appears to have gone away. I got a comment the first time I lit it up with the new driver that Photoshop was disabling some graphics functions because my graphics configuration did not support them. Other than that after a couple nights of light testing (things that easily broke it before) all seems OK.

Thanks again.

Dave

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections