Please HELP… Photoshop crashes whem opening raw files.

AR
Posted By
Antonio_Rodrigues
Dec 17, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a professional photographer from Portugal, 6 macintosh have to work with photoshop. My last machine, Mac Pro
Identifier pattern: MacPro2, 1
Name of processor: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor speed: 3 GHz, with 9Gb of ram, OSX 10.5.5 ….. and just installed the CS4.

Get a crash several times a day!

I have just installed the photoshop, format the disk before you install, run the permissions, everything ok. I have 2 disk raid on a total of 1Tb to Scratch disk …

When I am working … and open a file Cr2 from Canon or Nikon’s NEF, or even DNG of my Hasselblad … the machine crash.

I dont know what to do more …
I bought the Photoshop CS4, because I thought that solve these problems we had with CS3, that was the same.

Now i buy a new graphics card!

My current is: ATI Radeon X1900 XT

and im waiting for NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT for Mac

What else can I do?
Please help me to find a solution.

Very respectfully.

Antonio Rodrigues

PS. sorry for my bad English.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AR
Antonio_Rodrigues
Dec 17, 2008
Hello once again.

just to explain further.

The Ps CS4, crash when I’m doing a layout and need a new image. In the bridge , click 2 times on the file raw, and when it opens in photoshop … crash!

If I inside the bridge, click to open to open in camera Raw, not happens …. crash.

Thanks for the help.

very respectfully,
SG
steve_guilhamet
Dec 17, 2008
Hi Antonio,

Do you also crash using Photoshop File> Open? Do you get the Adobe Crash Reporter dialog; if so have you submitted any of these reports?

Have you run any updates, or is this a default install? Did you choose Portuguese as the language?

Regards,

steve
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Dec 17, 2008
Antonio – try opening LESS images at once. You can then save your RAW settings and apply them to any more images you want to affect- also try using Bridge, for me this seems to happen more often when launching RAW from within Photoshop.

Yes its the one area where CS4 does crash sometimes, while using RAW. For me its happened while editing an image almost randomly, or trying to open an image in Photoshop. I think I did submit a crash report first couple of times.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 17, 2008
As you had the same problem with CS3, it could be that you have some corrupt files (Fonts, Brushes or Styles perhaps?) or incompatible 3rd party plug-ins which you are still using with CS4.

Hassleblad files are fairly large but if you open your RAW files in ACR from within Bridge CS4, as Mark has suggested, I think that you will find that it helps.

Also, check your CS4 Preferences and make sure that you haven’t reserved more than 90% of your RAM for Photoshop and that you have designated a separate HD for Scratch.

Mac OSX 10.5.6 has now been posted and that may improve matters too.
AR
Antonio_Rodrigues
Dec 18, 2008
Good morning, everyone.
Firstly I wish to thank all who responded. Thank you very much.

Sorry only now write in the forum, but I come from a photographic session.

The photoshop closes when, wants … is not every time. I can open a file after several hours to work, or in the morning after 5 minutes.

I never open many Raw at once … they are already corrected by a colleague at work,i just get open those I think i can get more from it,

I have only 75% of memory for photoshop.

I have 2 discs empty, to raid the scratch disk.

almost always send the reports to Adobe, and also a copy to the apple. But I had never had response.

I think the CS4 is updated …. 11.0?

Tank´s guys!
AR
Antonio_Rodrigues
Dec 18, 2008
Now upgraded to the OSX 10.5.6

I will try … and then say something.

Again many thanks to all … I hope to achieve from this update solve the problems. I’m waiting to reach nvidia 8800Gt, and then format a disk … and install everything again. + Osx Photoshop …. anything else!

I hope I will not be a hardware problem.
P
PShock
Dec 18, 2008
they are already corrected by a colleague at work,i just get open those I think i can get more from it,

What is your colleague using to correct the images? As Ann suggests: "As you had the same problem with CS3, it could be that you have some corrupt files", perhaps your co-worker is corrupting the files somehow.

Have you tried opening the RAW files straight from the cameras without first coming from your co-worker?

Opening many RAW files at the same time should not crash the machine. Setting RAM to even 100% should not crash the machine. In CS3 or CS4, I can’t recall a single time I crashed when opening RAW files. (I’ve opened as many as 200 CR2 files at once – my RAM is 100%)

-phil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections