Photoshop CS3 Keeps on Crashing at Random – HELP!

P
Posted By
parmet
Jan 7, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS3 has been crashing repeatedly on me (over 14 times now) since the afternoon of 01/06/09. Not sure what triggers the crash. I resize a window in Photoshop CS3, it crashes. I try to save a file, and it crashes. I try to edit a font layer, and it crashes.

I’ve run the disk utility, and it throws up these alerts: "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/Filesystems/AppleShare/afpLoad" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/bin/setregion" has been modified and will not be repaired. Warning: SUID file " System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/ A/Resources/runner " has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file " System/Library/Printers/IOMs/LPRIOM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/LP RIOMHelper " has been modified and will not be repaired."

Are these warnings related? Anyone experience this problem , or know what I can do to fix this? I’ve already tried re-installing Photoshop, and all the updates, including the FixVCUIFramework app and that hasn’t helped.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jan 7, 2009
Does it crash in a new user?
JF
john_findley
Jan 7, 2009
I’ve been getting the same messages in Disk Utility, but my PSCS3 runs fine.
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 7, 2009
What OS?
P
parmet
Jan 7, 2009
It had worked for the better part of a year until yesterday. I’m running OS 10.5.6. Haven’t tried a new user account yet.
JF
john_findley
Jan 8, 2009
I get the same messages, but my PSCS3 remains unaffected. Have you downloaded a PSCS4 trial? (just curious if this is the source of these messages)
P
parmet
Jan 8, 2009
Nope, Just have Photoshop CS3 on the machine. Hadn’t had any previous version of Photoshop on the machine either. Very strange that it just started happening all of a sudden. I don’t recall downloading anything new to my machine, or making and configuration changes.
JF
john_findley
Jan 8, 2009
Very strange that it just started happening all of a sudden. I don’t recall downloading anything new to my machine, or making and configuration changes.

Same here. Just started recently and the CS4 trial and the new iTunes are the only things I’ve acquired, lately.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jan 9, 2009
Did you run Repair Permissions after installing CS4?
The Flash component does quite a number on Permissions.

I would also recommend running DiskWarrior after doing a large installation like CS4.
KD
Kristy_Depper
Jan 9, 2009
Perhaps this is a dumb question to ask, but have you checked your disk space (scratch disk space)? Several free GIGs of space is essential to smooth operation. If your hard drive is fragmented and you don’t have any way of checking (no software), then try plugging in an external drive or USB key and setting Photoshop to use that as a Scratch Disk to augment your internal drive. If the crashes go away, then maybe it’s time to check your internal drive for failure or fragmenting.

I’d also make sure that your RAM hasn’t gone belly up on you and requires a re-seat. Check your apple menu / about this mac for the amount of RAM installed and compare that with what you know to be installed to make sure that all chips are running properly.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jan 9, 2009
Kristy,

have you checked your disk space (scratch disk space)? Several free GIGs of space is essential to smooth operation.

Not enough. On average, I’d say you need at least 100-150GB disk space available. If you work on tiny, Web-only files, less will be fine. If you work on 1-2GB files, more. You also need disk space to run Mac OS X.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections