Posted By
duckster
Jul 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear Experienced PhotoShop users,

I have a photograph of a person in glasses. I would like to remove or at least minimize the glare from the flash.

I tried looking in help under glare, windows, removing glare, but it yielded no results. I’m thinking perhaps it has a different name to the technique.

A point in the right direction or to another tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

If someone feels kindly, a few steps would be appreciated as well.

TIA

Kelly Kirsch

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
SkyPilot
Jul 13, 2005
"\(the\)duckster" pounded on the keyboard and wrote:

I have a photograph of a person in glasses. I would like to remove or at least minimize the glare from the flash.

I tried looking in help under glare, windows, removing glare, but it yielded no results. I’m thinking perhaps it has a different name to the technique.
A point in the right direction or to another tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Kelly Kirsch
Kelly,

I am a semi-pro photographer and I fix this all the time with PS. I use the "Cloning Tool".

First enlarge the picture, select the cloning tool and select an area very close to the glare. You can even select an are from the other eye if it does not have glare.

Good luck.

Brian

———————————————————— —————– Brian J. Rueger | Hampton Div. of Fire & Rescue | "Who dares wins" Lt./Paramedic | Fire Communications Officer | Hampton, VA.
B.S. Comm/I/SEL Pilot | MSgt, USAF (Ret.) 49199 | NREMT-P
Check out my home page: http://members.cox.net/brueger
Some of my photography: http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/34185.html "Life’s too short to drink LITE beer!"
———————————————————— —————–
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jul 13, 2005
On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:49:03 GMT, "\(the\)duckster" wrote:

TIA

Kelly Kirsch
Hi Kelly,

I agree with Brian re the Cloning tool for this correction, I’d just like to add that I have found that varying the opacity of the tool between 30% and say, 75% results in a more "believable" correction. Copy the image onto a new layer, enlarge the view and as Brian said, clone from the non glare areas of the spectacles into the glare. With varying opacities this will allow some of the underlying to show through. You can then check your progress by "switching" the layers on and off.
Practice makes perfect;-)
HTH
MH
D
duckster
Jul 14, 2005
Hello Mike and Brian,

Thank you both for quick replies. I’ve made some initial attempts at this using your suggestions and I’m coming up with some odd results. Therefore I’m not certain I am quite understanding the technique.

If I am not mistake, putting attachments to newsgroups is frowned upon. Would either of you mind much if I sent you a clip of what I’ve done for a critique? Or is it okay to post an attachment?

TIA,

Kelly Kirsch
MH
Mike Hyndman
Jul 14, 2005
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:16:24 GMT, "\(the\)duckster" wrote:

Hello Mike and Brian,

Thank you both for quick replies. I’ve made some initial attempts at this using your suggestions and I’m coming up with some odd results. Therefore I’m not certain I am quite understanding the technique.

If I am not mistake, putting attachments to newsgroups is frowned upon. Would either of you mind much if I sent you a clip of what I’ve done for a critique? Or is it okay to post an attachment?
Kelly,

What sort of odd results? Are you familiar with the clone tool? (looks like a camera)
Better not to send attachments to NGs, but if you want to I will have a peep at it if you send me a jpeg of it. (before and after anti glare application if possible).
MH
D
duckster
Jul 15, 2005
"Mike Hyndman" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:16:24 GMT, "\(the\)duckster" wrote:

Hello Mike and Brian,

Thank you both for quick replies. I’ve made some initial attempts at
this
using your suggestions and I’m coming up with some odd results.
Therefore
I’m not certain I am quite understanding the technique.

If I am not mistake, putting attachments to newsgroups is frowned upon. Would either of you mind much if I sent you a clip of what I’ve done for
a
critique? Or is it okay to post an attachment?
Kelly,

What sort of odd results? Are you familiar with the clone tool? (looks like a camera)
Better not to send attachments to NGs, but if you want to I will have a peep at it if you send me a jpeg of it. (before and after anti glare application if possible).
MH

Mike,

Thank you for a quick reply. I have been experimenting with what is called on my version of CS a clone stamp tool. It does not look like a camera. Looks like a hand stamp. Wonder if I am using the wrong tool, but a search in help yields no other?

If you could clarify, that would be much appreciated. In the meantime, I will review the help info on it to better familiarize myself with its capabilities (presuming I am reading about the right tool).

Thank you, too, for offering to take a peek at my files. I’ll play a bit more to see if I can’t figure this out better on my own and will zip a sample to you if I don’t get the results I am looking for.

Thank you again for your time, good information and offer to help. It is much appreciated as I am sure you are very busy. I’ll try not to waste your time. 🙂

Kelly Kirsch
J
JAT
Jul 16, 2005
"(the)duckster" wrote in message
Thank you for a quick reply. I have been experimenting with what is
called
on my version of CS a clone stamp tool. It does not look like a camera. Looks like a hand stamp. Wonder if I am using the wrong tool, but a
search
in help yields no other?

Kelly Kirsch
That is the right tool. It looks as you say like a hand stamp.

Alex
G
Gmorg
Aug 28, 2005
When you take pictures like this again, (and you know you will be having to deal with that glare) take out the lenses of the glasses. (if they are plastic, just pop them out, but be careful; Glass, you can’t). You wont see it on the picture (in 95% of the cases) and you dont have glare.

;Tom

(the)duckster schrieb:

TIA

Kelly Kirsch

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections