How can I remove this glare? Image included…

AA
Posted By
Andrew_Angell
Apr 22, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to figure out how to remove this nasty white glare in the upper right of this wood sample. Any information on how I can successfully achieve this would be wonderful. I’ve come close with Curves but I end up losing too much color detail. I don’t know how to use it well enough.

Any tips for curves or any other methods would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

picture -> <http://66.223.17.11/wood.jpg>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JO
Jim_Oblak
Apr 22, 2005
You can tweak curves, levels, etc until the cows come home but couldn’t you just grab a piece of the lower wood and copy it above?
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 22, 2005
Use the Clone Tool with the mode set to Colour. That way you’ll keep the wood grain and the texture whilst changing the "glare" back to the colour of the wood.

Chris
AA
Andrew_Angell
Apr 22, 2005
I’d rather not just copy the bottom as the top shows those wavy kinda textures to the wood that needs to remain.

I remember a photoshop training video I watche done time…I believe it was VTC for photographers…that explained how to do this. Problem is it was awhile ago and I can’t remember for the life of me. If I remember right he used levels to even out all the color balance in the photo and then used some mixture of curves and dodge/burn tools to make the picture absolutely perfect. Again, I just can’t remember the steps.

Sound familiar to anybody? Cloning would take a long time…I’ve got LOTS of these types of pictures to do.

Thanks again for the info!
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 22, 2005
those wavy kinda textures to the wood that needs to remain.

Cloning in Colour Mode would keep the textures.

Cloning would take a long time

No. Use a Large soft brush, and sample from the lower planks. One Wipe" at 100% would probably do it.

Chris
AA
Andrew_Angell
Apr 22, 2005
that method produces ok results…unless I’m doing something wrong though it doesn’t really look like a clean finish.

sampling from the bottom plank on color mode at 100% takes the white away, but leaves too light of a brown. It also just barely puts the wood-grain from the bottom up in the top making it look…not right.

Am I being an idiot?
C
chrisjbirchall
Apr 22, 2005
Just tried it on your pic. Works fine. Alternatively you can use a large soft Brush, also set to colour mode, Sample a lighter shade of the wood for the first "wipe" at 100% opacity. Then a couple of smaller wipes using a darker sample at around 50%.

Using the brush instead of the clone tool doesn’t copy any of the grain from the bottom planks.

What you are doing is taking away the ‘blueish’ tinge to the glare so the reflections which accentuate the wavy effect remain to leave a natural looking result.

Chris.
D
D._Craig_Flory
Apr 22, 2005
I grabbed it off here and had it fixed in about 5 minutes. I opened it and made a duplicate image. Then I used the lasso tool to outline an area on the top left. I pulled it on top and then lowered the opacity till it blended nicely. Then I merged layers. That had taken care of part of it. I repeated the step onto another part and this time added a hide all layer mask. I "painted" in the darker wood. I flattened it & I was done.

Craig Flory
WN
Wesley_Norman
Apr 23, 2005
Just one more of many possibilities. I learned this somewhere on this forum but can’t remember from whom. Use the clone brush, set to darken and opacity to somewhere around 20 – 25. Click on a darker part of the wood and clone over the lighter areas. You may have to do this several times depending on the opacity setting. It will only affect the high lites and not the darker wood. I thought this was a great tip when I first saw it.
S
Scotius
May 6, 2005
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:39:34 -0700,
wrote:

I’m trying to figure out how to remove this nasty white glare in the upper right of this wood sample. Any information on how I can successfully achieve this would be wonderful. I’ve come close with Curves but I end up losing too much color detail. I don’t know how to use it well enough.

Any tips for curves or any other methods would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
picture -> <http://66.223.17.11/wood.jpg>

I don’t know why, but I couldn’t access the site. Anyway, it sounds like what you might want to do is use the burn tool. Aside from that, if the wood is very similar to the site of the "washed out" part of the image, you can use the clone stamp, and then blur over any area where it looks a little off. It works better than you’d think.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections