why does Adobe CS install .exe on a Mac?

KG
Posted By
Konstantinos_Gargaletsos
Jun 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MD
Mark_Douma
Jun 12, 2004
Well, first off I was going to say that I don’t know why Adobe even tacked on the ".exe" filename extension, but after taking another look, I’m pretty impressed.

That was pretty clever guys, I’ll have to admit.

Basically, it’s an application droplet that will run in either OS X or in Windows (what exact versions I don’t know).

While it’s PEF/CFM application, Adobe made an attempt to specify that it should require Carbon, meaning OS X only. I say attempt because some genius spelled the flag LSRequiressCarbon <http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/lsrequiresscarbon.png> with an extra ‘s’. lol… (How did that manage to make it through QA?) Anyway, if you heard in the news lately about that MP3/iTunes trojan thing, this droplet uses a similar method to store both the Windows executable code and the Preferred Executable Format (PEF) code fragment in the data fork of the application, which is of the single-file-dual-fork design. The ‘cfrg’ resource in the resource fork specifies the offset to the code fragment, which comes after the windows code which is at the beginning of the app.

So, the ".exe" filename extension is there only for the Windows machine, which would be clueless without it.

I’ve had trouble with these files screwing up my Launch Services database so that they all show up as possible apps to open images with. I just made an archive out of them (.zip or .sit) so they no longer show up.

Hope this helps….
KG
Konstantinos_Gargaletsos
Jun 12, 2004
thanks Mark, it was the Launch Services issue that first alerted me to their existence.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections