WH
Posted By
Walter_Holt
Oct 16, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I purchased my Epson 2450 scanner it came with a disc entitled Adobe Photoshop Elements (for bundles only).

It installed and worked great on my old Mac G3 as I was running OS 9.1.

Can this disc be used install on my G5 running OS 10.2.8?

I am unable to find what version of Elements is on this disc even though I have used my "Get info" on every icon I could find on the disc.

When I started the easy install, my G5 went to "Classic" so I canceled the install.

Is there an upgrade I can download to alow me to use this Elements disc on OS 10.2? Does the disc need to be installed in "Classic" first before an upgrade is downloaded?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Walter Holt
(trying to figure out OSX)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 16, 2003
If there’s no version number on it, it’s version 1.0. The icon for it had a eye or something with an eye in it; the icon for version 2.0 is a yellow sunflower.

Elements v. 2.0 was a stand alone application, not an upgrade, so you’ll have to either purchase a new copy (which can be had for less than $50 at Amazon, after rebate) or you’ll have to run version 1 through Classic.

A new version of full Photoshop is now out, so a new version of Elements probably won’t be too far behind. You might want to consider using your old version under Classic, if you can hold out. Do you have an upgrade coupon for Panther? Elements 3.0 will probably be redesigned to work under that and also to maximize the G5 processor you have. (I’m green with envy but am trying to hold out for the second generation!)
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 16, 2003
Upgrade for Panther? Is it out yet or soon to be?

Oh, I just checked the Apple site…October 24th.

Hey Joe, what do you think? Is this the time to upgrade from 10.1.5? I’m going to read up on it. Hope it works okay with PSE 2. I’m also really hot to be able to use Safari.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 16, 2003
Mark, if you’re still on 10.1.5, it’s DEFINITELY time for an upgrade! ๐Ÿ™‚ Even I’ve gone to Jaguar!
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 16, 2003
I don’t think either Elements 1 or 2 is supported on the G5. That machine came out long after both of those applications shipped. I’d say if your installer launched Classic mode, it’s not going to work under native mode at all.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 16, 2003
That is a very interesting question, as I am considering a new Mac sometime soon, and I am concerned about what software will run on the new system.
The message I get, is to wait for a while.
The new Mac store in my town is going to be holding informational meetings this winter, I guess that I had better attend them!
My G4 with OS 9.2.2 is doing everything I need right now,,,,, Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Well, Jane the G5 is a totally different animal from the rest of the mac line. Unless you are wanting one of those, I don’t see any reason to wait, except of course for not wanting to get somethng now.

But what advantage would you get by waiting?
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 17, 2003
I think that they will have Panther up and running soon, but I still am a bit intimidated by the new OS and what software that I have that will run on it or not, and what I would have to spend to duplicate what I have here.
The G5 basic model is under 2000 $(not including the LCD), and the new iMac with the 17" LCD is $1700, The iMac would be something that I could really love to have. I don’t need the G5 and the eMac is way to heavy with its encapsulated CRT.

You are absolutly right, why wait? That is what my husband says too. They have invited me to come to the store and just take time playing with each machine, they will put the software that I am used to running on each machine that I want to try, so that I can get used to it. I sure am looking forward to this, and their info meetings, they are interested in starting a Mac users group, and that would be heavenly for me, as I have to drive 2 hours to Newport RI for my monthly meetings.
I must hang out in that little store a bit more,,,,,,
Jane
WH
Walter_Holt
Oct 17, 2003
I enjoyed your discussion on waiting/ not waiting to buy a G5. My G5 is the mid range 1.8 mb version with 2 gigabites of ram. I intend to do digital imaging manipulating. With a cable modem webpages appear in about 1/4 second.

With that said. How am I going to use Elements on my new machine? My above questions are still unanswered. Are their not any Elements / OS X experts out there?

If I pay Adobe they will tell me the answers.
Adobe customer relations/support sucks! Just my personal opinion.

Walter Holt
CS
carl_sutherland
Oct 17, 2003
Jane,

Is there some particular software you are concerned with. I believe there are several of us with OS X that between us I would think one of us would have the one(s) you are concerned about. Would that help?

Carl
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 17, 2003
Well, Walter, Elena is an Adobe employee, so if she says it won’t work…..

I know there is a patch to let full Photoshop take advantage of the G5 processor and that it does not work with any version of Elements, but beyond that have not been able to get any clarification on whether PE will work at all on a G5, even if not taking advantage of the processor.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Carl, First, I think that I will go the iMac route. (A G5 would be overkill for this old grandmother.)
And will stuff it to the gills with memory, as this one is. The software that I use most is PSE 2 and its related plug ins like the Alienskin ones. GoLive 6 and Bryce 5, I will use soon. Graphic Converter, Appleworks, iTunes and all those I assume would work fine and I could get the upgrades. I realize that all my old OS 9.2.2 fun stuff will be gone, but all the new OS X stuff will be awesome.

Hi Walter, Could you just install software and if it won’t work, it would just not do anything? Maybe I could ask the people in the little local Apple store, they have a bunch of G5s there, and yesterday they were installing stuff. I could give them a call anytime for you, I just did and here is what he said,
He has a G5 running right now and the only software that he has found that won’t run on it, is Virtual PC.
Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, all the Final Cut Pro stuff, everything, runs fine and astonishingly fast.
Wow, one call to these guys, they are great and they are only about 6 miles from my house! I can’t wait till they start their users group! He said come in anytime and hang out, use the machines.

Hi Barbara, I asked him about PSE 2, and he said that he hadn’t actually tried it, but if Photoshop 7 works, then PSE should. I am going over there next week, and will have more info. I am just scared that I will want to buy one if I play with them too much, and I’m not ready yet,,,,,
Jane
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 17, 2003
I forgot to ask about using our old scanners, printers, external stuff. But scanners and printers are relatively cheap and mine are all old, would consider getting new ones, but my poor desk would maybe collapse. I do want to keep the G4 right here and run it too.

About Adobe customer relations, I had to call them when I first started to use PSE, and I found a toll free phone # on their website or somewhere in their literature. I called them a few times and there was no problem, and they didn’t ask for money. Maybe that has changed,,,,
Jane
T
Tel
Oct 17, 2003
Hi Walter,
Does this help?

"Native Compatibility with 32-Bit Application Code
On other platforms, switching to a 64-bit computer requires migrating to a 64-bit operating system (and purchasing 64-bit applications) or running a 32-bit operating system in a slow emulation mode.With the PowerPC G5, the transition to 64-bit performance is seamless: Current 32-bit codeย—such as existing Mac OS X and Classic applicationsย— runs natively at processor speed, with no interruptions to your workflow and no additional investment in software.
Unlike competing instruction sets, the PowerPC architecture was designed from the beginning to run both 32-bit and 64-bit application code. This enables the G5 processor to run Mac OS X natively for an immediate performance boost…."

In other words, yes, you should be able to install Elements one from the original CD. I keep my classic programmes on a separate partition although it isn’t necessary. Elements will start up the classic mode if it’s not already started at boot.

Tel.
Who’d also like a G5 but ain’t getting one, only recently got the G4… Working over a few pics at work in my lunchtime the other day when suddenly I yelled out "How do you guys stand this … it’s sooo slooow".
Guess what computers we have at work.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 18, 2003
Hey Joe, what do you think? Is this the time to upgrade from 10.1.5? I’m going to read up on it. Hope it works okay with PSE 2. I’m also really hot to be able to use Safari.

Hi Mark,

Sorry I took so long to respond, I’ve been working graveyard shifts this last week. Ugh! According to most of the reports I’ve seen, Panther actually has a very positive over all affect on speed. Coming from 10.1 (Jaguar also increased speed a bit from 10.1.X) I think you’ll like the results. If you want to wait, I’ll report after I install it the week after next. Everything sounds very positive on the Panther front.

Joe
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 18, 2003
Hey, Joe, so you’re planning to dive right in when it comes out?
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 18, 2003
You know me Barbara, I gotta be on the cutting (bleeding) edge! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I was able to get my hands on a fairly recent build and it worked great. I’m not too worried about this upgrade. Panther is just too cool and includes too many great new features for me to wait on. I pre ordered the day Apple started taking orders. I can’t wait until the 27th! ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe
LM
Lou_M
Oct 18, 2003
Yeah, I’m confused as to why Elena said it wouldn’t work. Most applications should run just fine on a G5.

The real question is why anyone would want to run Classic on a G5? I’d snap up a copy of Elements 2.0 for 50 bucks (isn’t that what Barbara or someone said?) and bask in the glory of Panther. ๐Ÿ™‚
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 19, 2003
Thanks Joe,

I easily resisted the upgrade to Jaguar but I’m going to go for Panther. October 24th at the Apple Store near where I live. I guess I’ll join the evening festivities with all the other Mac addicts.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Oct 19, 2003
Apple Store near where I live.

Count yourself lucky Mark, the nearest Apple store to my house is a couple hundred miles away. ๐Ÿ™ I have to wait until Fed Ex delivers the Panther.

Joe
MH
Mark_Hiers
Oct 19, 2003
I don’t think either Elements 1 or 2 is supported on the G5.

Elements 2 will run fine on a G5
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 19, 2003
Mark,

I geeked-out and attended the Jaguar release party at the Dallas (Plano) Apple store. There was a storewide 5% discount for all those purchasing Jaguar. I took advantage of that and bought a 5GB iPod. Bring your credit card(s) and have fun.

There were guys with their airport-equipped laptops surfing on the store’s access point while waiting in line. The nearby Starbucks was doing major business. Get there early, is my best advice.

Steve
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 19, 2003
We have a new independent "Apple" store about 6 miles from my house. The more I hang out there, the closer I am getting to buying a new Mac. So I am watching here to see how you all do with your software and your printers and scanners.
Jane
MR
Mark_Reibman
Oct 20, 2003
Steve,

That’s a little confusing to me. Do you mean Panther? And if you do, the release date is October 24th. So how could you have bought one?

I went to the new Apple store near where I live. First time ever. Wow, is it ever a sandbox for Mac folks. Even on a busy weekend there were enough of every type of computer to play with. You could really spend some serious money in that place.

The iPods are really an amazing little toy.

Jane,

I really like the eMac. It could be my next computer. Next year maybe.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 20, 2003
Hi Mark, Yes the eMac has a lot going for it. Lot of bang for the buck, as they say, Cheaper, nice screen, all the latest stuff, but reallllly heavy.
I had to move my brother’s eMac to a different desk and it is almost as heavy as our yellow lab! Must weigh about 50 or 60 lbs.
I love the G5s, but I think the iMac with the 17" screen will be my choice. Panther will be included after October.
I love our local Apple store, love to play with the machines+software, too much love, costs money. Printer and scanner too?
Jane
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 20, 2003
Mark,

I bought Jaguar (OS X 10.2) at a release party. (rememebr they charged $125 or so for it – like Panther.) It was a fun time, but not for those who got there late. I got there at 6 PM for the 10:20 opening. (Get it? 10.2 on sale at 10:20…) By the time I left the store at 11:00 PM, the lines were wrapped all around the mall. I think they stayed open all night to get everyone in. Meanwhile, I had to head back to Shreveport – a 3 hour drive.

Steve
SC
Stephen_C._Smith
Oct 20, 2003
Jane,

I love the iMac 17" but I settled for the 12" G4 Powerbook. It’s tiny but I connect it to a full-size keyboard, 2-button mouse and 19" Viewsonic monitor at home and it acts like a big computer. Then, around town or on the road, I have my computer with me. It’s especially handy for dumping my camera CF cards into when they get full. Then, before I even get home, I can burn a backup disk.

Just my .02.

Steve
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 20, 2003
Hi Steve, I have a powerbook also, that we take on vacation. We stuff our pictures into it too, then when we get home, view them on my 17" Viewsonic. I never thought to hook up the powerbook to the big monitor(and keyboard) mouse, yes I have a nice one for it. That’s a great idea! I just transfer stuff back and forth between the computers and put everything onto my external hard drive(I put all the original pictures on it anyway).
Looking at the new iMac 17" at a decent price, is probably my choice. But there is no rush, as I should wait (for Jaguar), and they are adding and including more goodies and keeping the price the same.
Jane
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
Mark (or anyone else planning to go the store event), just be warned that it’s not uncommon for the stores to totally sell out within an hour of opening at those events. At least that’s what’s always happened most places in the past.

Jane, Panther is next week. BTW, there are rumors going around that the imac may be totally redesigned this winter. I have no idea of whether there’s any truth to that, but if you like the current model, I would keep it in mind.

If you keep waiting because better things are coming, you will wait the rest of your life, because there will always be something new around the corner. That’s technology.
JC
Jane_Carter
Oct 20, 2003
Hi Barbara, That is exactly what my husband says! I think that November will be the target date, maybe Christmas, if not Nov. I do like the soccar-ball iMacs, so maybe I better start getting ready. Next week I shall spend some time at the little store.
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 20, 2003
Walter, did you ever get your clear cut answer? My initial response was correct – if you have Elements version 1 it will work only under Classic, because OS X hadn’t even been introduced at the time it came out. If you buy either Elements version 2 or wait and buy version 3, either will work natively on your G5.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
Hi, Beth. How was your trip?
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 20, 2003
Great!! We went to the ocean and were entertained by a series of nasty storms coming in one right after another. The people inland who are having to contend with the flooding aren’t impressed, but there’s lots of neat junk on the beach! I wanted to stay one more day, but hubby said we had to come home. That was probably just as well, because some of those rivers are getting really close to flood stage, and by tomorrow we might have needed a boat instead of a car on a couple of those roads. So, back to reality. ๐Ÿ™
EM
Elena Murphy
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, so I misspoke, it looks like things are ok with G5 and E2; my information was dated and whatever wasn’t working must have gotten fixed before they shipped. And also, why do people think I work at Adobe? Strangest thing really.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 20, 2003
Sorry, Elena. I’m one of the people who thought you did, based on a very old post. Obviously whatever it was either was bad info or a bad read! ๐Ÿ™‚
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah, I don’t know where it came from, but the answer to "Who is Elena?" has always been "she works for Adobeย…" Sorry. That’s what I’d heard also.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Oct 21, 2003
Elena, some earlier notes displayed your e-mail address as We interpreted that to mean you were an Adobe employee. I for one thought you were the former Elena Batoyon, who is listed on the rolling credits for Elements 2.0 as part of the management team. Guess we added all that up wrong…sorry about that!

๐Ÿ™‚

Chuck
MH
Mark_Hiers
Oct 21, 2003
I for one thought you were the same person as Elena Batoyon

nice correlation. you should be a detective ๐Ÿ˜‰

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections