RF
Posted By
Ryan_Fleming
Jun 8, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m trying to save PNGs in Photoshop CS that are 30x30px as 72pix/per inch and everytime I put them on our server and re-download them they open as 72.009 pix/per inch any idea why this is happening? I’m going crazy!!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jun 8, 2004
If the pictures are still 30×30 why does it matter?
RF
Ryan_Fleming
Jun 8, 2004
Well I work at this company and for some reason when we run the graphics on this weird custom unix system there is a halo that shows up around the edge of the image. And there’s nothing there in the image and I’ve even tried deleting the empty space to be sure and it’s still the same. So this is the only thing I found that was weird. And why would the resolution change to 72.009 anyway that’s so weird, right?
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
Ryan,

How are you "putting" them on your server? If you are saving over a network, or opening files from the server, cease and desist immediately.

If that’s not what you’re doing, look at settings both in Photoshop and in the "weird custom unix system" to make sure there’s no rounding off due to conversions between millimeters and inches.

Regarding saving to a network, see this thread:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>
RF
Ryan_Fleming
Jun 8, 2004
no I’m not saving over a network but what is bizarre is when I move the file to our server and then take it back off the DPI is switched to 72.009
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
Did you read my entire post?
If that’s not what you’re doing, look at settings both in Photoshop and in the "weird custom unix system" to make sure there’s no rounding off due to conversions between millimeters and inches.
RF
Ryan_Fleming
Jun 8, 2004
where in photoshop is that setting? I can’t find it, sorry 🙂
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
You need to check your Photoshop > Preferences > Units as well as in Image Size. I don’t know about your custom UNIX application.
R
Ram
Jun 8, 2004
Also, look in HELP for key words like units.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 9, 2004
Sorry – but there is a limit to the precision of the resolution specification in PNG (pixels per meter as an integer). You’re seeing the error in the least significant bit of the resolution values.

Other than fixing the PNG spec., I don’t think there is much you can do.
TT
Toby_Thain
Jun 9, 2004
This might be related to another bug < http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&a mp;threadm=d6ce4a6c.0401301821.456d5ab8%40posting.google.com &rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DISO-88 59-1%26q%3Dgroup%253A*.photoshop%2Bbmp%2B%2Bauthor%253Atoby% 2Bauthor%253Athain%26btnG%3DSearch> where PS doesn’t correctly record resolution in BMP files. Some investigation of exactly what it’s putting in the native PNG resolution fields might help here. Is it in fact correctly calculated and rounded? (As distinct from PS’ own image resource metadata, which also encodes resolution, presumably correctly.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections