Posted By
Jim_Nee
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m new to Photoshop and I am quite enjoying it. Normally I use it for the web, but I’ve been doing some print materials lately and am having trouble getting what prints from the .psd to look the same when converting it to .gif and printing.

When printing from .psd, the file is clear, crisp and sized correctly. When I open the same file in Image Ready, save it as a .gif (or jpeg) and print, it’s twice the .psd size, pixelated, faded and blurry. I’ve set the resolution on the .gif at 256, and don’t know what else to do. I’m sending these files to someone who is printing them for his small business, and he does not have Photoshop to open the .psd files, so I assume I must save them as .gifs or some other similar type.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your patience with the new guy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Why on Earth are you converting your images to GIF files?

If they can’t handle PSD files, then send them TIFF files straight out of Photoshop, not GIFFs or JPEGs. Forget ImageReady for this process, ImageReady is for web images.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 25, 2004
Please tell us what kind of printing you are doing (inkjet? offset?) and what the final product is supposed to be. Print is way different and in many ways a lot more complicated than web publishing.

Also, if you can, consider getting a page layout program like InDesign to place your graphics in and to set your type. Photoshop is just one variable in the printing equation.

Fortunately for you, lots of print pros on this forum.
J
jonf
May 25, 2004
Save as tiff. If he has no way to open or print a tiff your next best option would be jpeg. It’s still a lossy compression method, but not as bad as gif. If you keep your quality settings high and compression settings low you shouldn’t have too much problem. Don’t use indexed colors. Don’t save as gif.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
If he has no way to open or print a tiff …

…. run away from him as fast as you can.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections