Photoshop saving JPEG files 4 times bigger then it says.

BG
Posted By
bryan_griffiths
Jul 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I save an image in jpg format Photoshop 7 seems to be saving the image about 4 times bigger than what it says it is going to save it as on the screen where you select the quality of the jpg. Anyone know why this is? Is it a bug in version 7? I never had this problem in the older version.

For instance if I save a psd file as a jpg on quality 7(medium) it says the file will be about 17k. When I hit ok and then look at the size of the file using the finder it said 76k. That’s a huge difference for me since these graphics are going to be used on a website.

My specs:

Mac G4 867 Quicksilver
OS 10.2.8
1024 MB
Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1

Thanks.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Jul 5, 2004
Use save for web to eliminate meta data
R
Ram
Jul 5, 2004
Bryan,

Apple and oranges, maybe. Image size vs. File size.

When you’re talking about tiny files like that, the size of each individual sector on your hard disk makes a HUGE difference in the file size indicated by the Finder. The file cannot occupy less than one full sector; if the sectors on your hard drive happen to be 76KB each, that’s how small a file can be viewed as seen by the Finder. It’s not necessarily the image size.
GP
Graham_Phillips
Jul 5, 2004
The embedded icon probably doesn’t help, either. Bryan, get info on the file in the Finder, select the icon and cut it or delete it. Your file size should go down. But even better, do what Buko suggested.
R
Ram
Jul 6, 2004
Bryan,

Disregard my post # 2. Just because you’re using Photoshop 7, I thought you may be running Mac OS 9.x. I see that is not the case, so the minimum section size thing is not applicable in OS X.
BG
bryan_griffiths
Jul 6, 2004
Thanks everyone for the help. It was indeed the embedded icon. I figured the icons where just mini renders of the files. Guess not. =)

Thanks again.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections