V
Posted By
victory
Jan 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As a relative newcomer to PS , ( I have PS7 ) , I understand that , if you want to avoid losses when making adjustments to a photo image file , one way of ensuring this is to save these files in .tif form as opposed to the .jpg form which my digital camera automatically does.

I’ve just saved one of my .jpg files as a .tif file .

This has increased the size of this file from 1147 KB to 9231 KB. Is this increase in size normal when this change of format is effected ?

B.N.

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

V
Voivod
Jan 18, 2004
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:19:08 +0000, scribbled:

As a relative newcomer to PS , ( I have PS7 ) , I understand that , if you want to avoid losses when making adjustments to a photo image file , one way of ensuring this is to save these files in .tif form as opposed to the .jpg form which my digital camera automatically does.

This has increased the size of this file from 1147 KB to 9231 KB. Is this increase in size normal when this change of format is effected

Yes, TIFF is an uncompressed format, JPEG is a compressed format.
V
victory
Jan 18, 2004

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Is it then OK to do things like rotate the image and otherwise mess about with an image in this .tiff format without losing any of the original detail unlike similar operations with a .jpg image ?

I realise , of course , that , if you want to avoid losses with .jpg formats , you can always use copies of the originals.

B.N.

to reply by e-mail remove "admiral_"
V
Voivod
Jan 18, 2004
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 15:01:27 +0000, scribbled:

Is it then OK to do things like rotate the image and otherwise mess about with an image in this .tiff format without losing any of the original detail unlike similar operations with a .jpg image ?

For the most part, yes. Since TIFF is a lossless format there should be no loss of image quality which you pay for in image size.

I realise , of course , that , if you want to avoid losses with .jpg formats , you can always use copies of the originals.

If you need a JPEG copy do all of your manipulation on the TIFF (or PSD) file then save a copy or use save for web
which gives you greater control over the compression.
E
edjh
Jan 18, 2004
Voivod wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 14:19:08 +0000, scribbled:

This has increased the size of this file from 1147 KB to 9231 KB. Is this increase in size normal when this change of format is effected

Tiff can be saved with LZW compression, which is lossless.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
&
"pioe[rmv]"
Jan 19, 2004
wrote:

Yes, you can, but if the file has once been compressed with .jpg, the loss has already happened. You can never bring the information back. You can only avoid further loss, but it cannot substitute an original TIFF file. You should always scan or record your images in RAW or TIFF, never in .jpg.

Yes, it is normal.

Per Inge Oestmoen
M
misifus
Jan 22, 2004
wrote:

In jpeg, the loss occurs when saving the file. Manipulation doesn’t cause the losses. Jpeg artifacts become more noticeable after several generations of saves. If your camera saves the original image in .jpg, and you open it, manipulate it and then save it again in .jpg, you have increased the losses. If you then re-open the saved .jpg, and perform further work with the image, and re-save, you will have further increased the losses and the jpeg artifacts which will be visible.

-Raf

Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
mailto:
http://www.ralphandsue.com
S
steve
Jan 22, 2004
misifus wrote:

In jpeg, the loss occurs when saving the file. Manipulation doesn’t cause the losses. Jpeg artifacts become more noticeable after several generations of saves. If your camera saves the original image in .jpg, and you open it, manipulate it and then save it again in .jpg, you have increased the losses. If you then re-open the saved .jpg, and perform further work with the image, and re-save, you will have further increased the losses and the jpeg artifacts which will be visible.

Is this true with the new JPG2000 format?

In the 60’s people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections