file compression with backup software (Retrospect)

LM
Posted By
Lonnie_Meissinger
Aug 8, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I usually avoid backing up Photoshop and RAW files when doing incremental backups using Retrospect software since it compresses files to save space. Has anyone used this software to backup image files and then used it for a restore? I would think the restored files would not have full data. I still create backup CD’s and DVD’s of original RAW files, but it would be handy to be able to include PS files with the incremental backups so I wouldn’t have to continuously backup after each change.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 8, 2008
Lonnie,

I would think the restored files would not have full data.

As far as I know, it is a lossless compression, so no data would be lost.

As a note, I use the very easy, intuitive, cheap, and highly-respected SuperDuper for my backups.

Neil
JS
Jeff_Schewe
Aug 9, 2008
Retrospect software since it compresses files to save space.

That’s an option you can change. The default is to use hardware compression but that isn’t always a good idea particularly with tape drives since other brands and models of the same tape spec may or may not be able to reliably decompress the hardware compression.

Other than that issue, there’s no reason not to use Retrospect for incremental backups–I tend to use the disk copy approach to copy incremental backups to external drives.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections