RicSeyler
Nov 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Had a big ole scare yesterday…. uggh
My customer files HDD was getting full
and installed a bigger drive I had on hand.
(I keep my customer files on a separate HD by themselves)

I have a Maxtor 250G One Touch (USB) and it came with
Retrospect HD backup software. Well I went to pull
my Customer Files HD backup off the One Touch (USB)
and it errored out a little over half way through..
Rebooted tried again, errored out again.

Spent 1.5 hours on hold waiting for Tech Support (Dantz) and was told to delete the catalog file off the One Touch and let it rebuild….. it came back with less than my files reported (my files are 15G and it reported 3.9G will restore) ARRGH Scary (good thing my drive didn’t fail and was just full, so I still have all files) I was going commando and didn’t even know it!!

What would you guys recommend for backup software? I don’t trust the Retrospect anymore! AND I thought about doing a test and trying to make a new sub folder on the new drive and try to restore to that directory to see if I would be all my files back (after a format of the One Touch and a complete new backup) BUT the Retrospect won’t allow me to choose just any directory to restore to. I only have 2 options, Original Location, and the second some sub directory of the DeskTop, and I’m not messing with my C: Drive!!! I ONLY have my operating system on my C:.

The computer guy in the shop next door recommends PC Backup. Stating it’s disaster recovery method is very simple, just boot to a created CD and it will go out to the One Touch and find all files needed to completely
restore whole system, operating & customer files. So I wouldn’t need a bunch of CD’s and drivers to do a complete recovery.

Any opinions and suggestions?

Ric Seyler

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
RicSeyler
Nov 29, 2005
Oh yea the software the computer guy recommended
is Backup My PC. (According to him the software name
has just changed to PC Backup) Just to clarify..

Ric Seyler
R
RicSeyler
Nov 29, 2005

http://www.stompsoft.com/backupmypc.html?SourceID=afc_cj_bac kup

Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
————————————–
"Homer no function beer well without."
– H.J. Simpson
B
Boskey
Nov 29, 2005
"RicSeyler" wrote in message

this is Stompsoft’s new product.
http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/pc-backup.html
R
RicSeyler
Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for the current link Jimmy!

Jimmy wrote:

this is Stompsoft’s new product.
http://www.stompsoft.com/pc-backup/pc-backup.html

Ric Seyler

R
RicSeyler
Nov 29, 2005
Someone else has also recommended
Acronis True Image.
Any pros & cons between PC-Backup & Acronis
I know it’s an obscure comparison, but what the heck
thought I’d ask 🙂

I really like the simple disaster recovery (1 CD) the next door guy showed me on PC-Backup so far.

Ric Seyler
SY
Susan York
Nov 30, 2005
Rick,

Backup My PC, aka BUMP, has worked for me through several incarnations. Thanks for whoever mentioned the newest one.

You might take a look at NTI’s Shadow program at

https://secure.ntius.com/esdsoft/ntispecial11172005_shadow_v 2.asp?xID=885&OID=3073&uid=507270542

It looks like a slightly different approach to the issue. On the other hand, until the end of the year, it is $.99! No experience with this one, but NTI has been around for some time.

Sue
H
Harvey
Nov 30, 2005
You may also want to concider backing up on to dvd. It would take a good number of the plastic disks but it would safegard your work x2. Double sided dvd or the new format that is comming out, hddvd I think, would be better.

Spent 1.5 hours on hold waiting for Tech Support (Dantz) and was told to delete the catalog file off the One Touch and let it rebuild….. it came back with less than my files reported (my files are 15G and it reported 3.9G will restore) ARRGH Scary (good thing my drive didn’t fail and was just full, so I still have all files) I was going commando and didn’t even know it!!
What would you guys recommend for backup software? I don’t trust the Retrospect anymore! AND I thought about doing a test and trying to make a new sub folder on the new drive and try to restore to that directory to see if I would be all my files back (after a format of the One Touch and a complete new backup) BUT the Retrospect won’t allow me to choose just any directory to restore to. I only have 2
options,
Original Location, and the second some sub directory of the DeskTop, and I’m not messing with my C: Drive!!! I ONLY have my operating system on my C:.

The computer guy in the shop next door recommends PC Backup. Stating it’s disaster recovery method is very simple, just boot to a
created
CD and it will go out to the One Touch and find all files needed to completely
restore whole system, operating & customer files. So I wouldn’t need a
bunch
of CD’s and drivers to do a complete recovery.

Ric Seyler

R
RicSeyler
Nov 30, 2005
I already have that in my plans now. After that scare I want to be able to also
backup to DVD and store them off site. Plus there are no moving parts to a DVD 🙂
I am definitely going to do a x2 with to the Maxtor and to DVD.

I’m not going to wait for the HD-DVD – Blu-Ray battle to flesh out for my backup
duties. I’m just going to catch a Christmas Sale on a DVD burner…. I’m already waiting to start my new Home Theater partly for the HiDef format wars…
I’m rooting for Blu-Ray.. 🙂

Harvey wrote:

You may also want to concider backing up on to dvd. It would take a good number of the plastic disks but it would safegard your work x2. Double sided dvd or the new format that is comming out, hddvd I think, would be better.

Ric Seyler

R
RicSeyler
Nov 30, 2005
Thanks Susan!
I think I’m sold on the PC Backup. 🙂

Susan York wrote:

Rick,

Backup My PC, aka BUMP, has worked for me through several incarnations. Thanks for whoever mentioned the newest one.
You might take a look at NTI’s Shadow program at

https://secure.ntius.com/esdsoft/ntispecial11172005_shadow_v 2.asp?xID=885&OID=3073&uid=507270542

It looks like a slightly different approach to the issue. On the other hand, until the end of the year, it is $.99! No experience with this one, but NTI has been around for some time.

Ric Seyler
J
Josh
Dec 1, 2005
I just installed PC Backup as an "upgrade" Backup MyPC … and it sucks! I’ve reinstalled Backup MyPC (the old Veritas product) and given up on PC Backup.

josh
B
Bob
Dec 3, 2005
I use Second Copy and like it a lot. It automatically checks and replaces any new or modified files on what ever schedule I want. Every few minutes if you want. And you can access the backed up files directly. No need to go through the software.
Bob

What would you guys recommend for backup software? I don’t trust the Retrospect anymore! AND I thought about doing a test and trying to make a new sub folder on the new drive and try to restore to that directory to see if I would be all my files back (after a format of the One Touch and a complete new backup) BUT the Retrospect won’t allow me to choose just any directory to restore to. I only have 2 options,
Original Location, and the second some sub directory of the DeskTop, and I’m not messing with my C: Drive!!! I ONLY have my operating system on my C:.

The computer guy in the shop next door recommends PC Backup. Stating it’s disaster recovery method is very simple, just boot to a created
CD and it will go out to the One Touch and find all files needed to completely
restore whole system, operating & customer files. So I wouldn’t need a bunch
of CD’s and drivers to do a complete recovery.

Ric Seyler

R
RicSeyler
Dec 5, 2005
Being able to access backed up files directly is a nice feature. Thanks for the info Bob.

Bob wrote:

I use Second Copy and like it a lot. It automatically checks and replaces any new or modified files on what ever schedule I want. Every few minutes if you want. And you can access the backed up files directly. No need to go through the software.
Bob

Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove –SPAM- from email address
————————————–
"Homer no function beer well without."
– H.J. Simpson
JR
Joe Rom King
Dec 7, 2005
Ric,

If you have a lot of files with few changing daily, you might want to consider Relative Rev Backup.

It is an un attended file level backup software that supports one or multiple USB disks, creating on each one a backup archive that goes months back, without multiplying backup space (incremental forever coupled with expired versions purge).

At the same time, it can recover any file/folder as if it is done from a full backup.

As an example, if you have 100GB of data, with a 200GB disk you will probably be able to retain backup versions of the last year or so (say the last 7 dailies, 5 weeklies, 12 monthlies).

You can even backup into two or more disks in rotation, and it will keep on each one a backup archive that goes months back.

Note: as for any version it only copies new and changed files it is real fast, so you may also want to schedule a backup several times a day, retaining few intra-daily backups as well.

It can also schedule system state backup, by invoking NTBackup, retaining as many versions as you like.

Joe Rom King
http://www.datamills.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections