MM
Posted By
Michael_Moody
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
There has been quite a bit of discussion about backing up; CD’s, DVD’s, external HDD’s etc. After returning from the Mobile, AL, Mardi Gras yesterday with over 250 new images (about 1GB in PST format), I began looking around for a suitable backup solution to supplement my second HDD. I found a 40GB "slim line" USB2 external HDD on Gateways site that seems ideal. It’s about 1/2 inch thick, 3×4 inches and weighs less than 4 oz. It also offers the possibility to store images off-site, which is comforting.

Has anyone tried such a solution?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 26, 2004
Michael, I recently added an external hard drive USB 2.0 to my desktop and it’s performing well. It’s not the portable size you describe, however. Are you thinking of carrying the drive along with you on trips? I would worry a little about how much knocking around in a computer or camera bag a precision device could take, but if it’s designed for that purpose it might be fine. The hard drive on my laptop recently began to fail and I suspect all the time it’s spent in my briefcase have taken their toll… That’s why I like the multiple CF card solution – at least for now.

Chuck
JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
Hi Michael, My son-in-law just got one of those little external hds. It gets its power from the usb, not like my big one which has to have 110vac.
He goes on business trips a lot so this will be great as its really tiny. I am here, retired, so my ext HD just sits here connected to my computers.
I do take all my CF cards on trips (and the Powerbook if we are not going too far.) Lots of nice options with all this great new technology. Everything is getting so small and portable now!
Jane
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 27, 2004
I bought a small HD last year…….pocket sized but 30Gigs……it has served me very well. It is powered by my ibook and runs through the firewire port. I have now partitioned it with about 3.5gigs set aside for my PSE2 sc4ratch disk.

Have recently started working with video so now i’m looking for a much bigger one….around 200gigs…..have been checking out a Maxtor which a few friends have and it seems ok although still brand new!
MM
Michael_Moody
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks, All. My anticipated use is to backup my images and put the little HDD in a fireproof cabinet or leave it at another location. That leaves me with one copy on my C:\ drive and a backup on my E:\ drive. (who’s paranoid?)

For travel, I use a pair of 512MB flaÕÿ ²ards. They’re really incredible aren’t they?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections