JH
Posted By
Judy_Hendrickson
Oct 18, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am currently using Photoshop CS3 on Windows XP and would like to know if I can compress my files for email or would I need a separate program or service for that? Thank you very much. Judy

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

S
Silkrooster
Oct 18, 2007
Does the person you are sending the pics to need photoshop files? If not use File>Scripts>Image Processor. Select the folder of images, select the location for the new files, select jpg and reduce the image size and quality if needed, and click run.

If your images are already jpgs, Windows XP has a built-in image program for emails. In windows explorer goto the folder you want to send, select the images, right click on one of the images, select Send to>Mail Recipient. A window should pop up asking you what size you want the image to be, select the appropriate option or click on show me more options to be more specific. Sorry I do not recall what the default size is for the reduction. But emailing a single image back to yourself would answer that question.
I hope this helps,
Silk
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 18, 2007
Photoshop can certainly make compressed images for email.

I would suggest looking at hosting images on a web server instead of sending by email. Email is a clumsy transport method for binary files. A 500 KB image might blow up to 800 KB when MIME encoded for email. By posting images on a web server, you can invite the other person to voluntarily download them instead of forcing files into their inbox as an email attachment.

There are plenty of free image hosting services if you do not have your own web server.
JH
Judy_Hendrickson
Oct 18, 2007
Thank you both very much! Judy
DB
Dick_Bonin
Oct 20, 2007
How do I resize a file containing pictures for sending out to multiple receipients. Currently the .pdf file is 4.3mgs but a tad too large for some persons.

I know it can be reduced for internet or emailing but I don’t know how to do it.

I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Dick.
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 20, 2007
We never send out large images by email now due to the fact many people cannot receive them. If you have web space, upload the image/PDF via FTP and email a link for the recipients to download it. If you don’t have your own webspace, you could use one of the file upload services.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 23, 2007
or create your PDF using the Smallest File Size option in the PDF presets…and set your downsampling to images over 108 dpi to downsample to 72 inside the PDF compression dialog.
JO
Jim_Oblak
Oct 23, 2007
I’m intrigued. Why specify 108 dpi?
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Oct 24, 2007
it’s the default when you change the downsample to 72…never seen a reason to change it, and it even provides backup when the client thinks he is being tricky by printing off a screen capture even when print and save are password protected in the document….

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections