Posted By
Dottie_Garza
May 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I am running PS 7.01 on a Mac – G4, OS 9.2.
Lately, when I open any file or create a new file – something strange is happening. I select a tool (any tool) from the tool palette & move over to the image or blank page & the curser freezes momentarily & then disappears! So, kind of makes it hard to select a certain area when you can’t see what you’re selecting…I’ve tested most of the tools & they are all doing the same thing…Aargh!! Any ideas?? I have thrown away preferences, allocated more memory to it, rebuilt my desktop & reinstalled the program…what next? I’d appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!
Dottie

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DG
Dottie_Garza
May 12, 2004
Does anyone have any ideas? This driving me nuts!
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Dottie,

The first thing to try when Photoshop (or any other application) acts weird is to trash your preferences file. Quit the application, trash prefs, relaunch and you just might get your cursors back the way you want them.

On the other hand, don’t worry about disappearing cursers. You don’t want those around anyway. Cursing never solves anything.
DG
Dottie_Garza
May 12, 2004
I’ve already trashed my preferences, but it didn’t solve it. I need the cursors to do my work…..
R
Ram
May 12, 2004
Then more troubleshooting is in order. Make sure your caps lock key is not on, that the brushes are not set to a huge size (which would put them outside your monitor) or your preferences set to Precise rather than Brush shape, then consider trashing prefs and reinstalling Photoshop. Since you’re in 9.2 (I hope it’s 9.2.2.), also look for an extension conflict. Restart your Mac with the shift key down. Check your hardware (drive[s], RAM, cables, connection).

Make sure you have nothing with the name Norton installed on your computer.
DG
Dottie_Garza
May 12, 2004
Actually I’m running 9.2.1…but I have been for quite awhile with no problems. I did reinstall, I have nothing Norton, no caps lock,no huge brushes…very frustrating when something just suddenly freaks out….thanks.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 12, 2004
"The case of the disapearing cursers"

You might try the lounge.
DG
Dottie_Garza
May 12, 2004
thanks – they sent me here…
L
LRK
May 12, 2004
Now that’s funny Ken!

Ken was making a funny joke. Think about what he said. 🙂

Dottie, I hope you get it resolved. I can’t remember this problem but it might be a system conflict, since you are still running OS 9.2. Have you tried rebooting with extensions turned off to see if it goes away?

If it does then you will have to trouble shoot to rule out the conflicting extensions or control panels. I must say, I’m glad those days are over since switching to OSX.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 12, 2004
Not on my Mac right now, but isn’t there a cursor plugin that can be missing or corrupted? I’m sure I’ve heard it mentioned here but a Search turns up nothing as usual.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 13, 2004
DirectCursors. In your Extensions folder in Photoshop. Maybe try replacing it from the disk.
DG
Dottie_Garza
May 13, 2004
Thank you – I trashed the extension & now everything seems to be working…I appreciate your help! 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections