PY
Posted By
Paul_Yuskales
Apr 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have recently installed a new hard drive and re installing all of my programs. I can’t get Tiff clipping paths to be recognized by Quark Xpress. I have checked Enable advanced TIFF options in Photoshops preferences. My clipping paths work as EPS files.

What do I have set wrong.

Thanks

Paul

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SW
Scott_Weichert
Apr 23, 2004
What version fo Photoshop and Xpress? What OS…. if it’s Photoshop 6 and Xpress 4… update to Photoshop 6.0.1
J
JasonSmith
Apr 23, 2004
known issue with 6.0 tiffs, as scott says run the .01 update if running PS 6.0 – then open/resave the tiffs.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 24, 2004
As I recall, this is actually a QuarkXPress issue. At least with version 4. Files need to be .eps to be recognized with a clipping path.

Neil
JS
John_Slate
Apr 24, 2004
As I recall, this is actually a QuarkXPress issue. At least with version
4. Files need to be .eps to be recognized with a clipping path.

Since QXP 4 was out before PS 6.0, saying that it was a QXP problem is a bit of a stretch.

The problem was only with 6.0 tiffs in that you could not import the clipping path in QXP. PS 6.0 EPS files worked even though you could not select the path in the clipping tab of the QXP modify dialog… you simply set the tab to "item" and it worked.

Other than that, QXP 4 and up will handle clipping paths from Photoshop tiffs OK, except for the occasional path shift. I used to swear by using tiffs with paths in QXP until I got burned. So if I was to still use QXP (which I wouldn’t) I would probably stick with Photoshop EPS to be safe. And I would probably be at least at QXP 4.11 since older versions had issues with paths.

InDesign’s ability to honor transparent backgrounds from PSD files is the way of the future. The antialiased transition to the other elements in a layout is a much more natural look than the razor sharp hard edge (1 bit transparency) of a clipping path.

Clipping paths are old hat.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 25, 2004
John – no, it really is a bug in QXP, and we had to work around it in PS 6.0.1 because Quark refused to fix the bug.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 26, 2004
Why then did Photoshop 5.x clipping paths work if it is a QXP bug?
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 26, 2004
John- take a PS 6.0 file with a clipping path and save it as a 5.X.

What happens?
JS
John_Slate
Apr 26, 2004
I’m not sure I would ever have the cause to do that, But I imagine the answer is that it would still not work.

So what changed? PS 6.0 must write something into the path info that PS 5 did not, and whatever that something is does not get unwritten, so to speak, when opened and resaved in v5.

Futhermore, whatever that something is must be considered by Adobe to be correct, and QXP’s inability to deal with it is seen as a bug.

There seems to be fuel for argument on both sides of this issue, but seeing as it is pretty much ancient history, it hardly seems worth it, so pardon me for even bringing it up.

<zzzzip fling!> zippinglipandtossingkey </ZF>
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 26, 2004
John- because small changes in 6.0 triggered the bug (fully legal according to the documentation, but someone at Quark didn’t read the documentation).

Yes, it is a Quark bug, plain and simple.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections