Posted By
janebarber
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10. Mac OS X.2.8
Doing this as cmyk tiff, flat art. selecting and deleting background. selecting inverse. selecting work path. saving path and naming. selecting clipping path. selecting the named work path and saving.

But it is not silo when placed in Illustrator. i keep rereading the directions and nothing is working. I have done this for years, now I cannot get it to work. What am I doing wrong or omitting??

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 11, 2004
I always save as .eps. You don’t need to delete the background when using a clipping path, the path will do that for you when you place the image. I use the pen tool to make selections but the way you are doing it should work too. Selecting saved work path you mention here does not make sense, since you have already said that you saved the path and named it in the previous sentence.

Don’t know exactly what your problem is but you may be able to find it using the discrepancies I named above to check your work.
B
Buko
May 11, 2004
Just place a psd in illustrator no clipping path needed.
T
Todie
May 11, 2004
eps
…. and don’t delete the background
(it’s not just unnecessary, it’s wrong to delete the background)

Use the pen tool to make the path.
JS
Jeff_Siedlik
May 11, 2004
As Ken noted, be sure to do a "save as" and select photoshop EPS as the format. If you simply "save" the file (that started out as a TIFF) you won’t get the clip
JM
Jackque_Miller
May 11, 2004
I am having the exact same problem. Think of the Nationwide logo – essentially a box with a knockout. I cannot get that inside (negative space) to knock out. Been doing this for years. Save as eps. Save Clipping Path.

I am using PhotoShop 8. Is some new step required?
T
Todie
May 11, 2004
Jackque, Test your path by making a selection from it.
If the inner part of the path doesn’t become active, you have the wrong path style chosen. (this is an attempt by Adobe to advertise for Illustrator and it hurts a lot of users)
KN
Ken_Nielsen
May 11, 2004
It seems that ‘been doing this for years’ is a source of problems for clipping path people.

Jackque, as well as janebarber, both of your comments have things out of place and many steps missing. You must outline your procedures exactly as they must be done in order to make them work. Otherwise, it will not work.

There are no new steps required, but you must remember the old steps (old as in version 7.0.1)

‘Save as eps.’ and then, ‘Save Clipping Path’ is improper terminology: You must select the path and then choose ‘clipping path’ in the flyout menu and, THEN, save the file as eps.

When you are having problems, please list the steps you are taking in exact order that you are doing them – That will give us a much better chance at being able to help you.
J
janebarber
May 11, 2004
BINGO. The save as eps did it, redid it again, all other things remaining same. Guess my memory is not so good. the tifs were for placing bitmap color, to assign color in Illustrator.

Will write this down, again,.

Thanks a lot everybody.
JM
Jackque_Miller
May 11, 2004
Changes in the version 8 menu was the source of my problem. I was previously on v 5.5. Thanks Steve for the assist.

Under the MENU, there is another horizontal bar, at the far right end, (past the check box that says AUTO ADD/DELETE), there are four boxes. Make sure the far right box is selected. If this box is NOT selected, inner knock out area of a clipping path will not be transparent.

The name of this box is: EXCLUDE OVERLAPPING PATH AEAS. Illustrator users will note this as similar to the Pathfinder selection called EXCLUDE OVERLAPPING SHAPE AREAS.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections