P
Posted By
parker
Feb 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m making paths on silo’d objects on white backgrounds to place on colored backgrounds in quark 4. Operating pshop 6.01 in os 9.2. I put the path on by hand and show no white background in pshop or any half white pixels. Shows white in quark and on PDf which I make to check. Why? Also, is there a difference between saving as eps or tif (both with clipping path selected)?
Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
I’ve had consisently acceptable output using EPS wih clipping paths. The TIFFs, which should be smaller, and print faser, don’t seem to maintain their alignment with the clipping paths. Very annoying problem.

If your images are appearing against a solid background, you might be better off without the clipping paths. Convert your paths to masks, create a new background layer in the colour you want, and turn off your clipping path (keep the path, though). save as a PSD, then save as aflattened TIFF. Because you creaed a mask from he clipping path the original image is intact. Nice thing about this method is the ability to soften the mask to merge smoothly with out of focus parts.
P
parker
Feb 13, 2004
I’m unfortunately not using a solid background, hence the paths. I switched to eps & still have the same problem. Thanks
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Feb 13, 2004
go to image > properties in quark and set the default to ‘item.’ I forget the exact menu names but this is where the clipping path behavior is set in quark, another reason I am glad to now be using InDesign.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Feb 13, 2004
Also,

check to see if your clipping behavior is set to what you want in Photoshop.

(tool options bar with "path" icons at the top left hand side.)
SF
Scott_Falkner
Feb 13, 2004
Could the flatness be set too high? Change flatness to a blank.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 13, 2004
Scott – I was thinking the same thing.
JS
John_Slate
Feb 14, 2004
Define "shows white".

The exact reverse of what it should be? (if so see Mike’s post)

Or do you mean a "white" halo around the silo?

If so: Are you reducing the size of the image in the QXP window?

Do you see the same halo when you put in the file at 100%?

Also try filling the PShop white areas just outside the clipping path with a color similar to the color you are placing on in QXP.
JA
Just_A_Mac_Guy
Feb 14, 2004
Quarks clipping metheods in 4 suck. Plain and simple. Best advise is the old advice Save as eps, flatness 3 works better than blank {for me, anyway} Mac 8bit preview {no jpeg encoding or Jpeg previews.} Unless you are in a version of PS7{I forget which} where you had to save with a tiff preview.

In Quark, always have clipping set to item. Quark maintains that their code is good and the eps file is to blame, Adobe says Quark is the problem…

I say screw it, I have a job to get out and I know what works… who is actually to blame does not matter.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections